PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Dot Pro Cup Ball Available

Fred Agnir
03-01-2005, 11:55 AM
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/accessories/pro-cup-cue-ball.html

Fred

jjinfla
03-01-2005, 12:19 PM
I think I will stick with the red circle. I can get six of them for that price. The Ladies Spirit Tour is now using those polka dot balls. One of the pros told me she didn't like it - too heavy.

Jake

catscradle
03-01-2005, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I think I will stick with the red circle. I can get six of them for that price. The Ladies Spirit Tour is now using those polka dot balls. One of the pros told me she didn't like it - too heavy.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I agree Jake, too much money. However, if I see them cheaper at the SBE I might grab one.

Keith Talent
03-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Good news that scam is finally over.

Not sure whether there's much pent-up demand around here, but I think they're fantastic. You get a lot more feedback on your shots (and your opponent's, if you can get them to use it), and maybe the illusion of more control.

As for weight, I think everybody's guessing ... one female pro thought it's HEAVIER? Another player told me that Parica swears it's LIGHTER. Me, I can't tell the difference, of course. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ras314
03-01-2005, 03:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I think I will stick with the red circle. I can get six of them for that price. <hr /></blockquote>
Where can you get them for $6?

Scott Lee
03-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Roy...that $6 is a wholesale price for a red circle CB. The $35 for the multi-dot CB is outrageous, but retail, and I'm sure they're selling it wholesale for about half of that. I'll look at the BCA trade show in Vegas, but I doubt they'll be any cheaper at Valley Forge, as that is a retail show, reaching a retail buyer's market.

Scott

ChuckR
03-01-2005, 05:15 PM
I think I will take a regular red dot and use and indelible marker and make my own. How many dots are used and at what spacing? It looks like the only value of the dots is to tell you how the ball is spinning before and after impact.

Bob_Jewett
03-01-2005, 05:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> ... The $35 for the multi-dot CB is outrageous, but retail, and I'm sure they're selling it wholesale for about half of that.... <hr /></blockquote>
At the BCA Trade Show in 2003, you could get a complete WorldCup TV carom set (spotted white and spotted yellow) for $50, but I suspect that price was partly set by not wanting to take any stock back to Belgium. I heard that it had taken a few years to get the manufacturing process right, as the spotted carom balls started to be used in the WorldCup events in about 2000, but they were not available in other than prototype quantities until 2003.

SPetty
03-01-2005, 06:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> How many dots are used and at what spacing?<hr /></blockquote>There are six dots, spaced equally around the ball. Think of the ball as a cube, and there is a dot in the center of each face of the cube.

I have the polka dot ball that came with the Aramith TV ball set. I haven't tried it yet - really. Keeping it pristine for the PettyPoint Super Billiards Expo later this month! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jjinfla
03-01-2005, 07:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I think I will stick with the red circle. I can get six of them for that price. <hr /></blockquote>
Where can you get them for $6? <hr /></blockquote>

poolndarts.com meuller pg 81 1-2 red dot $5.95. 3 or more call for price.

Jake

ras314
03-01-2005, 08:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> poolndarts.com meuller pg 81 1-2 red dot $5.95. 3 or more call for price.<hr /></blockquote>
The red dot is not the same as the red circle. Obvious difference is the red circle is more of an off white and does not get as dirty. I think it probably has a harder surface.

stickman
03-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Scott, have you ever seen Tony Stewart's helmet? He has a plain white full face helmet, and someone used a permanent black marker and drew a big toothy grin on the bottom of it, below the visor. It looks really cool. Maybe a red permanent marker would work for the dots? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It would be a lot cheaper.

nAz
03-02-2005, 03:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Good news that scam is finally over.

Not sure whether there's much pent-up demand around here, but I think they're fantastic. You get a lot more feedback on your shots (and your opponent's, if you can get them to use it), and maybe the illusion of more control.

As for weight, I think everybody's guessing ... one female pro thought it's HEAVIER? Another player told me that Parica swears it's LIGHTER. Me, I can't tell the difference, of course. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ya I love playing with that ball, I think it takes a few shots for me to get use to it but it is worth it, err well maybe not 35 beans 20 yes.
In 3CB I feel I make higher runs with the dotted balls then i do with the plain ones, I know it's mental but what ever works.

Bring it Thursday night /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keith Talent
03-02-2005, 05:00 PM
Absolutely ... gotta finish paying for it, right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Stretch
03-02-2005, 05:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I think I will stick with the red circle. I can get six of them for that price. The Ladies Spirit Tour is now using those polka dot balls. One of the pros told me she didn't like it - too heavy.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I'm more of a traditionalist i guess. I always liked the 'mystery' of how the cueball reacted off the ball, or a nice kick off the first rail. I mean it's more fun to watch if the cue ball dosn't give up it's secrets. Does that make any sense? As a training divice for your own feedback great. But in play i'd rather stick to a clean white cue ball. St.

Rod
03-02-2005, 07:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> poolndarts.com meuller pg 81 1-2 red dot $5.95. 3 or more call for price.<hr /></blockquote>
The red dot is not the same as the red circle. Obvious difference is the red circle is more of an off white and does not get as dirty. I think it probably has a harder surface. <hr /></blockquote>

ras,

The red dot is a bar table c/b, non magnetic, thay tips a weight scale. We used it in our Dynamo tables. It weighs in over 6 OZ. That puppy is easy to follow but draw is a task for many.

Rod

Barbara
03-02-2005, 07:50 PM
Stretch,

Do yourself a favor. Next time your're practicing with a clean white ball, put a chalk mark on it as a refere nce mark to see if you're producing unwanted side-spin on your straight-in shots. Or at least get a circled cue ball and try doing a hundred straight-in shots at various straight-in lengths and see how you do.

I play with Centennials and the blue circle CB that comes with them. Jimmy Caras always told me to turn the cue ball's circle to where I wanted to hit on the cue ball and see if I hit where I intended to hit with the subsequent chalk mark.

It wasn't always there in the beginning... Surprise...

But I'm just talking straight-in shots. I have no desire to shoot with this measled cue ball as I have my own feedback CBs but I do think they would give you a good idea about how english on the CB reacts against with a rail shot. It would actually be helpful in a teaching situation.

HTH,

Barbara

ras314
03-02-2005, 07:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> poolndarts.com meuller pg 81 1-2 red dot $5.95. 3 or more call for price.<hr /></blockquote>
The red dot is not the same as the red circle. Obvious difference is the red circle is more of an off white and does not get as dirty. I think it probably has a harder surface. <hr /></blockquote>

ras,

The red dot is a bar table c/b, non magnetic, thay tips a weight scale. We used it in our Dynamo tables. It weighs in over 6 OZ. That puppy is easy to follow but draw is a task for many.

Rod

<hr /></blockquote>

Rod,
Mueller sells a normal weight non magnetic red dot Arimuth ball that won't return in coin tables that need a heavy ball. I have seen heavy red dots also, at least they were the right size. I couldn't even stop the thing on a table length shot, let alone draw it.

Not sure when Dynamo started using magnetic mechanisms, the local bar has two with it and one without. They all look the same.

Rod
03-02-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mueller sells a normal weight non magnetic red dot Arimuth ball that won't return in coin tables that need a heavy ball.<hr /></blockquote>

I didn't know that. Our Dynamo tables were 85 or 86 vintage. Some where around mid to late 90's they went to magnetic.

[ QUOTE ]
the local bar has two with it and one without <hr /></blockquote>

Yep that is a problem. Many owners don't care though, if you play a tourney you have to adjust. LOL

Rod

JimS
03-03-2005, 05:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Good news that scam is finally over.

As for weight, I think everybody's guessing ... one female pro thought it's HEAVIER? Another player told me that Parica swears it's LIGHTER. Me, I can't tell the difference, of course. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

My electronic postal scale says that the Tv spotted red cue ball weights 168 grams, as does the blue circle cb that comes with the Centennial sets. The red circle weighed 166 grams.

jjinfla
03-03-2005, 05:44 AM
I see where Mueller raised their prices on cue balls a bit. But about 8 months ago we purchased a half dozen red circles for around $6.00 each. As far as weight between these cue balls I am sure it all depends upon quality control at the factory. My red circle weighs 162 grams. If the optimum weight (guessing) for the red circle is 160 grams plus/minus 4 grams then I am within tolerance but 2 grams on the high side. If the optimum weight of the blue circle is 161 grams plus or minus 4 grams and it only weighs 159 grams then you can see where a cue ball that is designed to be a gram heavier turns out to be 4 grams lighter.

But I think room temperature is more critical. As our room gets cooler the table plays faster and the ball draws better.

Jake

catscradle
03-03-2005, 06:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> ... err well maybe not 35 beans 20 yes.
... <hr /></blockquote>

Great deal on Seybert's, ONLY 32.95. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
03-03-2005, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Stretch,

Do yourself a favor. Next time your're practicing with a clean white ball, put a chalk mark on it as a refere nce mark to see if you're producing unwanted side-spin on your straight-in shots. Or at least get a circled cue ball and try doing a hundred straight-in shots at various straight-in lengths and see how you do.

I play with Centennials and the blue circle CB that comes with them. Jimmy Caras always told me to turn the cue ball's circle to where I wanted to hit on the cue ball and see if I hit where I intended to hit with the subsequent chalk mark.

It wasn't always there in the beginning... Surprise...

But I'm just talking straight-in shots. I have no desire to shoot with this measled cue ball as I have my own feedback CBs but I do think they would give you a good idea about how english on the CB reacts against with a rail shot. It would actually be helpful in a teaching situation.

HTH,

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Good advice Barbara, Thanks. Spotted balls, elephant balls, glow in the dark balls, i just wish they'd decide. Hey how about we change up all the colours, and make the numbers huge. Why not? Nothing else is sacred. St.

Bob_Jewett
03-03-2005, 10:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> ... If the optimum weight (guessing) for the red circle is 160 grams plus/minus 4 grams ... <hr /></blockquote>
I think that the optimum weight of a cue ball is the same as the object balls it's used with. Do you feel that it should be otherwise?

Paul_Mon
03-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Hi Fred,
Just a few thoughts on the multi-dot cue ball. A few months back Tommy T brought his multi-dot to the pool hall and we played a few hours with it. After the second or third shot I didn't even realize that it was different and occasionally noticed the spin. About two weeks ago Tom brings the ball again. This time he waits till I've dumped the balls on the table and have started practicing before throwing the multi-dot out. I was amazed at the difference in color. The multi-dot is almost brown compared to the Arimith cue ball. I told him to put it away. Last Monday I go over to his place and we use the multi-dot again. My point is that after seeing the two balls next to each other I wonder why the multi-dot is so far away from being white. I also don't see the benefit of using one, but that's my opinion.

regards.........Paul Mon

catscradle
03-04-2005, 05:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Hi Fred,
... I also don't see the benefit of using one, but that's my opinion.

regards.........Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>

I don't see any intrinsic value in it either, but I'd buy one as a novelity if the price were better.

Rich R.
03-04-2005, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr>I don't see any intrinsic value in it either, but I'd buy one as a novelity if the price were better. <hr /></blockquote>
IMHO, I think it could be a valuable training aide. I would rather practice with it, than play a match with it.

JimS
03-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I do all my drills, every day, with one. I used to shoot with unwanted and unplanned left hand english on about 70% of my shots. Now that I've been using the multi-dot pro ball for about 6 months I get the unwanted spin on only about 10% of my drill shots.

LARRY_BOY
03-05-2005, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> I think I will stick with the red circle. I can get six of them for that price. The Ladies Spirit Tour is now using those &lt;a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&amp;k=polka%20dot" onmouseover="window.status='polka dot'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;"&gt;polka dot&lt;/a&gt; balls. One of the pros told me she didn't like it - too heavy.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I agree Jake, too much money. However, if I see them cheaper at the SBE I might grab one. <hr /></blockquote>

I was at the local pool supply yesterday and they wanted $29.95........