PDA

View Full Version : RUSSIAN BILLIARDS CHAMPIONSHIP

PQQLK9
03-02-2005, 06:23 AM
2005-03-02 11:47 * SPORTS * RUSSIA * BILLIARDS * CHAMPIONSHIP *

ST. PETERSBURG HOSTS RUSSIAN BILLIARDS CHAMPIONSHIP

ST. PETERSBURG, March 2 (RIA Novosti - North-West, Maxim Nichiporenko) - The national Russian-billiards championship started on Wednesday in St. Petersburg.

Talking to RIA Novosti, people at the city's billiards federation noted that the championship involved all the best Russian players, i.e. masters of sports, masters of sports (international class), as well as national champions.

St. Petersburg will be represented by six players, including five masters of sports, as well as Vladimir Petushkov, master of sports (international class), European champion and the 2004 world championship's prize-winner. Four female masters of sports will also take part in this championship.

The national Russian-billiards championship will end on March 6.

About forty different Russian-billiards versions exist. This can be explained by the fact that no official billiards competitions were held during the Soviet era. Each city and each billiard room boasted its own rules. The billiards-sports federation was established in the late 1980s. It therefore became necessary to standardize billiards rules, to work out a standard billiard-tournament system, as well as that of referees. Game rules were also summed up.

In 1994 the national billiards-sport federation officially endorsed such rules and those of billiards competitions.
web page (http://en.rian.ru/rian/index.cfm?prd_id=160&msg_id=5447679&startrow=1&dat e=2005-03-02&do_alert=0)

demonrho
03-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Is Evgeny Stalev taking part in this? Has he recovered from his mugging in Moscow? I haven't heard of him back here in the States for quite awhile. What a tremendous talent.

RailbirdJAM
03-03-2005, 10:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote demonrho:</font><hr> Is Evgeny Stalev taking part in this? Has he recovered from his mugging in Moscow? I haven't heard of him back here in the States for quite awhile. What a tremendous talent. <hr /></blockquote>

I miss seeing Evgeny, too. He had a ball going to Vegas, and he was one tough competitor. He played in every tournament available to him when he was here, and he had a very powerful break, as I recall.

He told me that he won some Russian championship title 5 years in a row at that time, and he was only in his early twenties.

I heard about that mugging where he got beat up for 25,000 American dollars. It happened on the night before his departure to the States where he was going to compete in the Derby City Classic, 2 years ago. He was supposed to attend the DCC in Louisville that year, but couldn't make it because of this tragic incident.

"The Russian," as we used to call him, enjoyed making that money when he was here. A thousand dollars goes much further in Russia than it does in this country, and when he left last time, his pockets were full.

I wish him well and hope he decides to come back once more and make a cameo appearance! He was instant action to some players! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

RailbirdJAM