PDA

View Full Version : Ala. Lawmaker Targets 'Ugly Fish' Law

SnakebyteXX
03-02-2005, 06:52 AM
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Fishermen often utter obscenities and throw their catch back in the water after hooking the long, skinny, ugly fish known as a garfish.

What they probably don't know is that, according to Alabama law, they are supposed to suddenly become the garfish's executioner.

The Alabama House passed a bill Tuesday to repeal a 1943 law requiring fishermen who catch a garfish - also called "junk fish" or "trash fish" - to kill it rather than throw it back in the water to be caught again.

Rep. Jeff McLaughlin said he's not sure why lawmakers initially wanted to kill the garfish. But he said the bill he sponsored is part of his effort to highlight some of Alabama's archaic laws and outdated language in the state constitution.

"I just want to point out the odd laws we don't need anymore," he said.

McLaughlin has also introduced a bill to remove language from the constitution that requires the Legislature to regulate dueling.

Link (http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nat-gen/2005/mar/02/030205792.html)

Deeman2
03-02-2005, 12:57 PM
I just escaped from Alabama a few months ago but killing Gar need not be a state law in any southern state. Any of us rednecks will tell you they are garbage fish, eat good fish (PETA) and can rip you finger/hand off.

If you have not seen an Aligator Gar, you have no idea of what I'm talking about. If you have caught a dozen before the first eating fish bites, you have probably killed at least a 1000, as I have. However, they don't need a law for this it is normal for us. Now, someone will declare a Gar an endangered species...wow

Deeman
kills Grinnel as well....

sack316
03-02-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm still an Alabama boy born and raised, and yes we do have several laws that may not quite apply today or need reviewing. Like the other day, I got real lucky to not get in trouble because I had my horse downtown, but didn't have it tied to the right designated place. it's such a rush to break the law. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ras314
03-02-2005, 07:29 PM
We used to have spearfishing contests for gar in Florida. Think it may be illegal to spear any freshwater fish now. I don't know why, anywhere the gar were real thick there wasn't much else except eels. Some days a dozen people would kill upwards of 1000 gars, almost all needle nose. Those big ol alligator gars were real hard to get.

I shot a few in the Alabama river below Montgomery, those alligator gar were big enough to take a small dog.