PDA

View Full Version : No Butter for Bubba, the 22-Pound Lobster

SnakebyteXX
03-02-2005, 06:57 AM
He could be older than Warner Bros. studio, General Motors and the Boy Scouts. He could have survived two world wars and Prohibition. He could have been dinner.

He's Bubba, a 22-pound leviathan of a lobster pulled from the waters off Nantucket, Mass., and shipped to a Pittsburgh fish market.

"It is overwhelming," owner Bob Wholey said. "If you see it, you will never forget it. Customers are just in awe."

On Tuesday, Wholey gave the lobster to the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium, which will send him to an aquarium at a Ripley's Believe It or Not museum.

Based on how long it typically takes a lobster to reach eating size about five to seven years to grow to a pound Bubba may be 100 years old.

That would make the crustacean older than Warner Bros. (1907), the Boy Scouts (1910) and the states of Arizona and New Mexico (1912), not to mention the first commercial radio station (1920), television (1927) and computers (1943).

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent Wholey a letter asking him to work with the group to release Bubba back in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Maine.

Another group calling itself People For Eating Tasty Animals reportedly offered Wholey a hefty price for the lobster. At Tuesday's price of $14.98 a pound, Bubba would retail for about $350.

Bob Bayer, executive director of the University of Maine's Lobster Institute, is skeptical and estimates that Bubba is likely 50 years old, but doesn't know for sure. Warm water and plenty of food may have more to do with a lobster's size than how long it's been alive.

"We have looked at all kinds of things to figure out if there is any way to age a lobster. I'm guessing 100 years is probably too high but I can't argue with it because you don't know," Bayer said.

No matter his age, Bubba dwarfs a typical 1 1/2-pound lobster. He's about three feet long and took up about half a 4-foot-by-4-foot tank at Wholey's Market. A lobster sharing his tank was about as big as one of Bubba's claws.

A handful of people who wandered by the tank Tuesday were impressed. One woman quietly said, "Wow," while a man said, "He's serious."

Although his business is to sell seafood, Wholey says Bubba was never bound to be boiled and buttered. And he's become a little philosophical after seeing the lobster, which could be twice his 54 years.

"I don't think you could eat something that big. ... What range of emotions does a lobster have? Greed? Lust? Love? I'm just going to give him to the zoo and hope he lives another 100 years," Wholey said.

"If you sat down and ate this thing, wouldn't that be a bit shellfish?"

link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/03/01/national/a151035S18.DTL)

roscoe
03-02-2005, 07:17 AM
As a lifelong offshore wreck diver in NJ I can say that the rule of thumb is 7 years for the first pound and 5 years a pound thereafter. The largest bug I've seen come up in a divers hand was 19 1/2 lbs. I've personally picked up a 10 and 12 pounder.

Roscoe

SpiderMan
03-02-2005, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote roscoe:</font><hr> As a lifelong offshore wreck diver in NJ I can say that the rule of thumb is 7 years for the first pound and 5 years a pound thereafter. The largest bug I've seen come up in a divers hand was 19 1/2 lbs. I've personally picked up a 10 and 12 pounder.
Roscoe <hr /></blockquote>

Roscoe,

How was this rule of thumb determined? You'd need to have an alternate method of accurately determining age, and then weigh it also. Or, you would need to weigh lobsters raised in captivity. Wouldn't environment and food supply have a lot to do with it, as it does for carp, catfish, and other indeterminates?

SpiderMan

roscoe
03-02-2005, 08:15 AM
It is just that...an average....a rule of thumb.....While there is no scientific way of determining the age of a bug this method I explained is accepted by the scientific community and local lobster fisherman alike. Actually, the scientific community says 5-7 years for the first pound.

Roscoe

LARRY_BOY
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
Only Nemo knows....... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SPetty
03-02-2005, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> Only Nemo knows....... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>Well, maybe not...
http://www.livingroom.org.au/blog/archives/TheyFoundNemo.jpg

Deeman2
03-02-2005, 12:21 PM
SPetty,

I once had a 4 lb. lobster that had a pattern on it's back that looked somewhat like a face. As I was in South Carolina at the time, I joked that it looked like Dale Earnhardt and one of the Nascar guys said, "Yep, it sure does." I had been joking! Now, this was before I knew they were selling burned toast with visions of the Virgin Mary on e-bay. Once another Nascar guy at the party who is affiliated with the Dale E. church in some way (a "3" on the back of his Corvette) noticed. if you turned the lobster in a certin way, you could make out a vague "3" on the left claw. I could not see this.... Now, guys were debating if I should boil this bug or set it free!!!??? I had picked him/it earlier so I had dibs. I don't know any salt water near Spartanburg but their thoughts were pure anyway.

I just asked myself W.W.D.D. (what would Dale do?) and ended up swapping mine for another guy's so he could take him home and "set him free".

Apparently Dale, jr., jr. Lobster died in route to freedom. I did not attend the services or anything but will be real pissed if I ever heard he went for 3 large on the internet.

Deeman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Member of the right PETA

Kato
03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
Did you guys see the pictures? Wow!!!!!

Kato

SPetty
03-02-2005, 05:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Did you guys see the pictures? <hr /></blockquote>Um, no. Gotta link?

PQQLK9
03-02-2005, 06:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Did you guys see the pictures? <hr /></blockquote>Um, no. Gotta link? <hr /></blockquote> http://www.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2005/03/02/mn_lobster1.jpg

DavidMorris
03-03-2005, 05:50 AM
Bummer, he didn't make it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bubba the lobster dies after being moved to the zoo. (http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science/03/03/leviathan.lobster.ap/index.html)

SpiderMan
03-03-2005, 08:18 AM
Read it on this morning's news.

SpiderMan

Eric.
03-03-2005, 08:47 AM
Maybe it'll turn up at the Rio buffet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric &gt;gonna miss ya this year

Barbara
03-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Yeah, I can see them doing an autopsy with a lot of drawn butter...

Barbara

Eric.
03-03-2005, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
Deeman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Member of the right PETA <hr /></blockquote>

P eople E ating T asty A nimals.

Eric &gt;card carrying member