PDA

View Full Version : 5280 cues? any good?

drawshot
03-02-2005, 09:51 AM
I was thinking of getting a new cue, possibly a 5280. However this one has a Cherry wood forearm and Purpleheart handle. Is this good?

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/action/5280-rm10.htm

breaknrun1
03-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I know of several people who have 5280 cues and they all have a nice solid stiff hit. My friend just bought several 5280 cues to sell at his pool hall including the one you are looking to purchase. He was quite disappointed when he got it to find that the ferrule didnt match up very well with the wood and the shaft and butt didnt match up well at the joint. All of the other cues were fine though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

MrLucky
03-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Yep! uniformity and quality control is the problem with a lot of the mass made production new asian cues! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif the operations offices are in denver and cues made in I believe, taiwan.

Popcorn
03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
The quality on cues like that can be so hit and miss I would buy from a local dealer. Maybe a pool room where you can look the cue over and hit a few balls. This is just my opinion, but I think that is a lot of money for an import cue of that kind. You would be just a little away from a much better cue price wise. I would spend the extra and go with a better cue. Don't be afraid of used. Most cues I have ever owned were second hand. You hit some balls with it, If you like it, make a deal.

Cane
03-03-2005, 07:10 AM
I agree with Popcorn on this one. I've ordered several 5280's for customers, and they hit nice, but the craftsmanship does leave something to be desired. They may seem reasonably priced at first glance, but there are many American made cues that are price along the same line, including some plain cues or sneaky petes from custom makers, that would serve you MUCH better for the money.

Now, I do have to say one good thing about them, or at least about one of their distributors. I had one customer that did a "Color of Money" break with his 5280 and split the shaft (this kid hits harder than I ever could and bent the shaft probably 45 when he broke and "SNAP".) I called the distributor and told them I needed to order him a new shaft, told them exactly how it got broke. They sent a new shaft and only billed me for the shipping on it.

So, marginal cues, very good service (at least from this particular distributor).

Later,
Bob