PDA

View Full Version : striped elephant balls vs multi dot cue ball

FastJoey
03-03-2005, 01:12 AM
which do you think would be better to see english during drills..the striped elephant balls or the multi dot cue ball.thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LARRY_BOY
03-03-2005, 03:48 AM
Striped......

jjinfla
03-03-2005, 05:17 AM
My vote goes to the Jerry Briesath practice ball. I believe it is also specially designed to hold the chalk so you can see where you strike the ball.

Jake

Wally_in_Cincy
03-03-2005, 06:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FastJoey:</font><hr> which do you think would be better to see english during drills..the striped elephant balls or the multi dot cue ball.thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If all you want to see is english then I suppose the multi-dot. But the Elephant practice balls give you many more valuable options and will hold a chalk mark better.

Depends on your budget I guess.

ChuckR
03-03-2005, 07:51 AM
I guess I would have to vote for the stripped myself.

dr_dave
03-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I own both now and have decided that the dotted ball is much better for visualizing spin and English. The striped ball works great when the stripe is lined up so the spin is perpendicular to the stripe. However, when the cue ball hits an object ball or a rail, the spin can be difficult or impossible (if the stripe is lined up with the spin direction) to see. For my high-speed-video (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/index.html) stuff, I like the striped ball, because I can carefully control situations. But for drills and normal play, where you might want to visualize the cue ball spin during all phases of a shot, the spotted ball is superior. You can see the spin on the ball regardless of its orientation.

Regards,
Dr. Dave