PDA

View Full Version : Celebrity Pool Tonight (Thursday!)

cuechick
03-03-2005, 05:54 PM
It's on tonight, Thursday on Bravo at 10pm east, 9pm central...
looks fun!

www.bravo.com (http://www.bravo.com)

Popcorn
03-03-2005, 06:02 PM
http://www.bravotv.com/Celebrity_Pool/

PQQLK9
03-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
03-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Well, it's 10:15 and I have already changed the channel. That is brutal. Not only is it chaotic but the camera angles look like a home video. Maybe I will catch the rerun on Sunday. I hope it gets better.

Cueless Joey
03-03-2005, 08:16 PM
This is brutal.
OMG!

anarchist
03-03-2005, 08:19 PM
I was thinking the same thing, these guys are horrible!!!

But, any show that highlights pool to the public is a good thing, right?

Cueless Joey
03-03-2005, 08:37 PM
I know Tom Green has seen Drew Barrymore naked a million times but I'm still glad I'm not him. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Rogan can shoot some. He's the only one who knows how to shoot a stop shot.

cuechick
03-03-2005, 08:41 PM
It's meant to be entertainment! Joe Rogan can actually play, someone said he was a B player back in the day...?
It is brutal though, for real players to watch...but it is also good for pool in genrel and for Jeanette!
Tom Green is pretty funny too...

houseman
03-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Personally I wasn`t looking for great pool playing from celebs , its just a tv show with celebs playing pool for a charity. great idea I hope it does well. if it does well it will be a big plus as pool is dying around here. this is the slowest winter I can remember in 12 years in this business.

Popcorn
03-03-2005, 09:55 PM
In the first 15 minutes I watched I heard Tom Green talk about shoving a cigarette up his ass on fear factor, a lesbian ask the other girl to take off her top, the black guy position himself behind the girl bent over shooting lean forward and comment about his view and that was the first 15 minutes. A real showcase for the game. It was an all time low for the sport. Who could their demographic possibility be? It certainly isn't family oriented. It will in no way inspire anyone to go out and play and players would be repulsed by it making it all but worthless to pool.

FastJoey
03-03-2005, 10:34 PM
i'm in the Chicago area it was not on here? i have basic cable if i had it all maybe i would have seen it...you have to remember these are Hollywood people not regular people..

DebraLiStarr
03-03-2005, 11:48 PM
I lasted about 10 minutes before switching channels. It was horrible!!! I remember seeing Joe Rogan at Yankee Doodles in Santa Monica when I lived there. Not sure if he can shoot. He shot better than all of those celebrites which isn't saying much. I did turn back and watch the last 5 minutes or so. Rogan was playing the black girl with the big boobs. She started smooching on him and then asked him to "shoot it in her hole". That was classy /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I feel so sorry for Jeanette. I bet she went home and cried. I won't watch it again.

Keith Talent
03-03-2005, 11:56 PM
Maybe Mark Ruffalo had the sense to stay away? Think he might have been B level a few years back. Believe I saw his name on the Tri-State Tour list, possibly misspelled. Remember he did a pool-shooting bit in "You Can Count on Me"?

I didn't see the show ... was at work, but it sounds pretty gruesome, as you'd expect. People can pretend to be cool playing cards, but not likely playing pool, golf, tennis ... anything that actually takes some knowlege and practice to be respectable at, right? Not to knock cards! But you can stink and still look cool at that.

Cueless Joey
03-04-2005, 12:05 AM
I bet Jeanette went home happy knowing the check cleared. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrLucky
03-04-2005, 05:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> In the first 15 minutes I watched I heard Tom Green talk about shoving a cigarette up his ass on fear factor, a lesbian ask the other girl to take off her top, the black guy position himself behind the girl bent over shooting lean forward and comment about his view and that was the first 15 minutes. A real showcase for the game. It was an all time low for the sport. Who could their demographic possibility be? It certainly isn't family oriented. It will in no way inspire anyone to go out and play and players would be repulsed by it making it all but worthless to pool. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="purple">Actually I disagree! This is the type of show (for better or worse) that will get more folks out to play pool! The Black Widow balanced the stars shenanigans with well stated tips and commenting! the stars were..... well LOL! just being stars ! the one guy was a fairly decent shooter and the others were about average for non shooters ! which in my mind will make more non shooters less afraid to go out and try a game! I do not know how many times I've been told ..."POOL! I can't shoot pool! I don't want to be embarassed!" .... </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dutchboy
03-04-2005, 06:13 AM
I'm with you man, what a piece of garbage. The bar is so low now I can barely stand to look at it. Not only did this disrespect the game, but these are the people these charities want representing them? Shoot it in my hole? Raising money for Larry Flynt's next law suit? Mosconi's spinning in his grave. Jeanette Lee was hung out to dry on that one. Bet she cant wait till Cheyanne grows up to show her this one. After watching the UPA the other day, this may be the perfect forum for Basavich. Alison would have spanked him like a miss-behaving child.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-04-2005, 07:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dutchboy:</font><hr> ...Shoot it in my hole? Raising money for Larry Flynt's next law suit? Mosconi's spinning in his grave. Jeanette Lee was hung out to dry on that one. Bet she cant wait till Cheyanne grows up to show her this one. .... <hr /></blockquote>

Uh... it's geared for adults. Bravo is geared for adults. Would it have any appeal if it were marketed to the level of a 10-year-old girl?

I liked it.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-04-2005, 07:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houseman:</font><hr> .. great idea I hope it does well. if it does well it will be a big plus as pool is dying around here. this is the slowest winter I can remember in 12 years in this business. <hr /></blockquote>

Must be the poker craze. Fortunately that will die down soon, when the schlubs get tired of losing to the good players.

Snookers in Cincy now has live bands 3 nights a week. They took out three 9' Robertsons and put in a stage and a dance floor. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

roscoe
03-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Coming next: Queer eye for straight pool......

Sigh,
Roscoe

dutchboy
03-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Uhh...that's english right? You mean the show wasn't for 10 year olds? Boy, the black chick had a nice rack didn't she....

Rich R.
03-04-2005, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <font color="purple">Actually I disagree! This is the type of show (for better or worse) that will get more folks out to play pool! The Black Widow balanced the stars shenanigans with well stated tips and commenting! the stars were..... well LOL! just being stars ! the one guy was a fairly decent shooter and the others were about average for non shooters ! which in my mind will make more non shooters less afraid to go out and try a game! I do not know how many times I've been told ..."POOL! I can't shoot pool! I don't want to be embarassed!" .... </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Good point.
I hope it works. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman2
03-04-2005, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> In the first 15 minutes I watched I heard Tom Green talk about shoving a cigarette up his ass on fear factor, a lesbian ask the other girl to take off her top, the black guy position himself behind the girl bent over shooting lean forward and comment about his view and that was the first 15 minutes. A real showcase for the game. It was an all time low for the sport. Who could their demographic possibility be? It certainly isn't family oriented. It will in no way inspire anyone to go out and play and players would be repulsed by it making it all but worthless to pool. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Popcorn,

What you and I take for entertainment may not be what Bravo is looking for. Since they have become the gay nework, they appeal to a younger crowd and mixing the edgy banter is what the Bravo audience wants. I think the pool was not so hot, of course, but it puts pool on the radar (or even gaydar) for a lot of folks. I really don't think this will hurt pool at all but maybe bring a new group in. That's never bad. If it looks a tad trashy, that's o.k. Bravo is not a young children's network anyway.

To me, it was like watching people play in a typical bar. But, you have to rememebr that some young adults know these people like we know stars of our era and if it make them play a game of pool or watch it, it can only help.

I think rap is crap but my folks thought Pink Floyd was as well.

Again, I know the pool was crap but I thoght it was entertaining enough to watch. </font color>

Deeman

PQQLK9
03-04-2005, 09:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
To me, it was like watching people play in a typical bar. But, you have to rememebr that some young adults know these people like we know stars of our era and if it make them play a game of pool or watch it, it can only help.<hr /></blockquote>

I agree and they also probably know them by their name instead of their race or sexual preference.

Popcorn
03-04-2005, 10:17 AM
I think the problem is that it is almost geared to appeal to some one with the mentality of a 10 year old. That was my comment about the demographic in my other post. Players will most certainly not watch and for "John Q Public" beyond the initial novelty of the show and Celebs, which wares off in the first 10 minutes, after that what's left? The show has absolutely no substance what so ever. Everything, the camera angles, constant contrived clips showing the celebs talking about themselves, which gets old after the first one, where is the pool?

The entire production is badly done and just is a bad copy of the popular Celebrity poker, they don't even have a set. I know people who play, myself included, would love to see something like this succeed, but what they have put together is just plain bad, there is no getting past that. This thing will be pulled after the initial package of shows and another shot at TV for pool will have been thrown away. Regardless what you think, quality does count and never goes out of style, you can't just make it marketing shows to the lowest common denominator, and that is what they have done. Actually, I doubt much thought was put into this project at all, just get something on using the formula of the poker show and unfortunately it doesn't work. Even those who say they enjoyed it, will not be setting their VCR's to be sure to catch every show. Watching bad players play a sport doesn't work even as entertainment. They don't even do it anymore in golf. Golf and tennis used to always show pro am segments of the tournaments but they don't anymore. Again, beyond the novelty of seeing a few celebrities, watching a sport played badly is not very entertaining for more then a few minutes. If celebrities playing sports worked, every sport would be doing it. It doesn't and these people are putting on a show who's formula has already in the past proven to be no good. When is the last time you saw Circus of the stars?

Tom_In_Cincy
03-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Wally,
Did they take out 7,6 and 5? the ones nearest the bar?

MrLucky
03-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Tell all of that to the folks who FLOCK to watch Soaps! Judge (fill in your fave!) and Jerry Springer each and every day! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DavidMorris
03-04-2005, 11:34 AM
My Tivo picked it up since it's programmed to catch ANYTHING related to pool. I watched it up until the "semi-finals" and got bored, I'll finish it later.

On the one hand, as a pool player it was painful to watch. Joe Rogan has a little bit of game, as does the country comedian guy (can't remember his name), and the gay chick did pretty well given the overall speed of the field. However it was excruciating watching them double-hit and miscue (even miss the CB entirely).

On the other hand, any exposure that might bring in more interest is a good thing, like poker has seen. Most serious poker players probably cringe at some of the commentary and shenanigans on TV poker, but look what it's done for the game in terms of exposure. This combined with that pool series Mars Calahan is producing will likely do more to garner interest from the public at large than the ESPN matches ever will, regardless of what we serious players think about it. Witness The Hustler and TCOM revivals...

Popcorn
03-04-2005, 12:01 PM
I would hope pool would attempt to rise above something like that. Using your logic then all pool rooms that have been struggling to stay in business and maintain the sport at some dignified level should dump all their 9 foot tables and fill the place with bar tables, turn the music up till it rattles the walls, since that seem to be what is most popular. Changing the sport or prostituting it in an attempt to make it more popular is done at a cost. I personally would not care if it never grew beyond it's current level. It is far more important it's quality and dignity be kept in tact. The sport of pool is a subculture, not a fad. People have been drawn to the sport for more then 150 years.

MrLucky
03-04-2005, 12:15 PM
You obviously have never been to some of the pool halls around Atlanta that I go to ! LOL! I see these same things ...hell it might even be the same damn people in them all! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm sure what you see is no different than a good golfers view of my attempt to play Golf ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

MrLucky
03-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Isn't this the same reason that they have private and pro Golf Courses and Public Golf Courses and LOL! miniature Golf /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrLucky
03-04-2005, 12:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> Isn't this the same reason that they have private and pro Golf Courses and Public Golf Courses and LOL! miniature Golf /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="purple">I believe what I am trying to convey is that most of us on these pool forums are ..or at least like to think of ourselves as higher skilled players or in my case LOL! a pool fanatic! and the folks that this show is catering to aren't in the same league nor do they probably want to be ! Pool to them is more something to have fun with if even that at this point so their interest and their perspective is quite different from most of ours! GEE I love playing "Devils Advocate!" </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bsmutz
03-04-2005, 12:24 PM
Did anybody else notice that the table looked like it was not correct dimensionally? It looked like it was 9' long with an 8' width to me. Also I noticed more than once that the position of the balls changed between what they made it appear to be consecutive shots. Don't know if they were moving the balls around or if they jumped ahead a few turns. I could tell I wasn't going to like it much after just a few minutes, but went ahead and watched the whole thing. If it wasn't for Joe Rogan, the whole thing would have been super lame. I don't think they would have had time to show the whole thing without a lot more editing if he hadn't been as good as he was.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-04-2005, 12:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally,
Did they take out 7,6 and 5? the ones nearest the bar? <hr /></blockquote>

You got it. Unbelievable isn't it?

Actually they,ve been working on the railroad underpass for a year now and traffic is is pretty disrupted (not that much more than it used to be though)

and we had a fairly early spring last year which cut into their business.

they have karaoke on Tuesdays, live music on Sundays, $1 beers on Thursdays, half-price table time before 6:00 pm, $1.00 per hour on Sunday.

Tom_In_Cincy
03-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Bummer

Wally_in_Cincy
03-05-2005, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Bummer <hr /></blockquote>

Yeh. But the good news is Bill and Don are being adaptable enough to change things up in order to keep the place going for now.

The overpass construction and the poker craze should both end right about the same time /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally &lt;~~ has been trying to patronize the place, even though he has a table at home.

catscradle
03-05-2005, 08:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <font color="purple">Actually I disagree! This is the type of show (for better or worse) that will get more folks out to play pool! The Black Widow balanced the stars shenanigans with well stated tips and commenting! the stars were..... well LOL! just being stars ! the one guy was a fairly decent shooter and the others were about average for non shooters ! which in my mind will make more non shooters less afraid to go out and try a game! I do not know how many times I've been told ..."POOL! I can't shoot pool! I don't want to be embarassed!" .... </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Good point.
I hope it works. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well reading this thread and others in AZ and RSB I was curious what a non-players response was to the show figuring that would be more important to the success or failure of the show. So I sent my son, who'll only occasionally bang balls with his friends in a bar, an email asking his reaction. This is what he had to say:

<font color="green"> "I thought that the show was entertaining. I felt like I related more to this program than to the professional pool programs. I like to see people make mistakes. When a pool match is flawless and executed to near perfection, I think that the average viewer looses interest. The advanced level of the pro distances itself from the the understanding of the average uninformed viewer. I think in relationship to television people prefer a mirrored relationship. In celebrity pool I can identify myself with Tom Green who is kind of in control but not really. In addition to this I can watch him in contrast to the more skilled pool celebrities. All of them are ultimately critiqued by the pro. There is room for me in this program. So, I think that it is a great series for the public to develop their appreciation and understanding of the game."
</font color>

Although it pains me greatly to have him say he could identify with Tom Green /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I thought he made some good points. I've always felt that the reason womens pool was more successful on TV is because they made more mistakes and the general viewing public can identify more. Maybe the same will hold true with this show. I figure anything that's gets more people interested in pool is good.

MrLucky
03-05-2005, 11:01 PM
<font color="red">and to think that they used to say..."from the mouth of babes"... </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif This was my first thought when I watched it on TV this show is going to be hated by pool players but loved by everyone else ! which frankly there are a lot more of the evry one elses than the former! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rich R.
03-06-2005, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> Although it pains me greatly to have him say he could identify with Tom Green /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. <hr /></blockquote>
My condolences. I hope treatment is available for your son. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

He did make some very good points.