PDA

View Full Version : Jumping to Another Topic

Fred Agnir
05-31-2002, 01:12 PM
And the topic ad nauseum of the day... Jump Cues.

I've seen for the past several months now the jump cue at the (help me out somebody) Stealth Booth? At VF and the BCA 8-ball. That jump cue looks pretty much like the Bunjee, except it doesn't reportedly have the reconstituted super hard Bunjee Tip. I think it has a "regular" hard tip like a WB Hard. The sound of it is soooooo much more pleasant than my Bunjee, or any other Bunjee I've heard for that matter. Has anyone bought one of these? Reviews please.

Fred <~~~ needs earplugs when pulling out the jump cue

Harold Acosta
05-31-2002, 01:22 PM
I purchased a bunjee type cue (Not Bunjee) with a Phenolic type tip, super hard, but you had to constantly chalk it. Since then, I removed the tip and put on a Triangle Chrome. Still works great and I like the hit better.

Cueless Joey
05-31-2002, 01:33 PM
Stealth's Air jumper was originally made by Ned Morris of California. Best jumper there is. Cuts down shorter when jumping up close. I believe NO OTHER jumper does this.

Chris Cass
05-31-2002, 09:05 PM
Co.

06-01-2002, 12:00 AM
Jump cues should be banned..

End of story..

If you want to get good at the game, learn to jump with the cue you bring to the table.. Not the cue you break with, that is your shitty cue.

Yet the break is the most important shot in the games that are predominant in todays pool culture..

Yet, still, learn to jump with the cue that you bring to the table..
Therefore, when jump cues are banned; because pool wants to become a televised sport. People who are relatively good at the game, will appreciate a good jump shot..

A good jump shot being defined for my purposes, as a shot taken with your shooting cue..

Now if you want to run my ass off using a Bungee Jump cue, or some other aptly titled "cheat stick", then I will play you 14.1 continuous, for a thousand dollars a point..

JUmp cues..
Real players do not need them..
Thus, save 100 dollars that they can turn into 1000.

Thank you.

cArson

Chris Cass
06-01-2002, 06:09 AM
Hi Carson,

I know how you feel bud. I felt the same way about the bridge. Still, the fact remains, there legal and you must move forward as the game requests.

Regards,

C.C.

Scott Lee
06-01-2002, 10:51 AM
Fred...I second Cueless Joey's recommendation on the new Stealth 3-piece jump cue. Ned Morris, a San Diego cuemaker, has worked on this cue for the past two years, and has now worked the bugs out, so that Stealth can manufacture and market it. I first saw this cue at the Los Angeles Billiard Expo last fall. It is, imo, superior to the Bungee, and DOES have a leather tip (which is one of the superior playing qualities). After selling many Bungee Jumpers, I have switched to the Stealth jump cue, and have sold several since being turned on it by Mark Stoller in Valley Forge.

Scott Lee

06-01-2002, 11:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Stealth's Air jumper was originally made by Ned Morris of California. Best jumper there is. Cuts down shorter when jumping up close. I believe NO OTHER jumper does this. <hr></blockquote>

if the bca minimum length spec is 40" and the standard bungee is 40 1/2" then how do you get away with one that is even shorter???

dan

Cueless Joey
06-01-2002, 01:37 PM
Dan, Ned made sure it is at least 40" when cut down. The third piece that is needed for long jumps is about 7 inches long.

SPetty
06-01-2002, 07:25 PM
I was watching friend play in Vegas. He played a pretty darn good safety, tieing up his opponent pretty well by hooking him directly behind a ball with no easy kick. As my friend left the table quite satisfied with himself, the other player, from Norway I think, using his regular shooting cue, simply jacked up and jumped the interfering ball, pocketed his object ball and got shape on the next ball. Wow. It was great to see.

CarolNYC
06-04-2002, 07:27 AM
I, too, love 14.1 and get more selfgratification playing it,but as for 9-ball,I feel there are definitely sometimes when the jump cue is needed-I have only seen one person use his own shooting cue to jump the ball-but I rarely see alot of people using it!There is some skill involved with jumping-at a NY State Championship, I played a safe on my opponent( who is one of the best)and I thought I had her, but she brings out her jump cue,calls the shot,which was a jump/cut the 5 in the corner pocket,makes it and gets position on the 6-it was awesome!I think if you had to call every ball in 9-ball, it would be a more challenging game!
Carol~mentally calls every ball!

cheesemouse
06-04-2002, 08:30 AM
CarolNYC,
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>I played a safe on my opponent( who is one of the best)and I thought I had her, but she brings out her jump cue,calls the shot,which was a jump/cut the 5 in the corner pocket,makes it and gets position on the 6-it was awesome!I think if you had to call every ball in 9-ball, it would be a more challenging game!<hr></blockquote>

Opening a can of worms, huh, LOL......I don't even think one should have to call your ball in 8-ball but just be required to get a legal hit and anything after that is goooooood.....I don't like having to explain shots.....running to my hole now...LOL LOL!!!!!!!

06-04-2002, 09:29 AM
Run Cheese, Run!! (watched Forrest Gump too many times, I think!)

Jay M
06-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Just a thought for you. Shaft jumping is illegal, correct? That was the purpose behind the 40" rule. During the predator open, a player pulled his shaft off of his playing cue, took out a pin with a drinking straw taped to it and screwed that in. Guess what, now he has a 40" cue that is really just a shaft with a pin in it. It met the rules and was allowed (although personally I think it was a violation of the spirit of the rule). So why even go get a bungee, just take a plastic straw and tape it to a pin and then you have a shaft that is "legal" to jump with.

Jay M

bigalerickson
06-04-2002, 12:25 PM
They buy jump cues because of what you said, using a straw violates the spirit of the rule and the game... well, that and everyone needs a new toy now and then.

al

06-04-2002, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> Just a thought for you. Shaft jumping is illegal, correct? That was the purpose behind the 40" rule. During the predator open, a player pulled his shaft off of his playing cue, took out a pin with a drinking straw taped to it and screwed that in. Guess what, now he has a 40" cue that is really just a shaft with a pin in it. It met the rules and was allowed (although personally I think it was a violation of the spirit of the rule). So why even go get a bungee, just take a plastic straw and tape it to a pin and then you have a shaft that is "legal" to jump with.

Jay M <hr></blockquote>

i think the ruling is clearly wrong.

bca 1.3 (tourney rules) "use of equipment. players may not use equipment or accessory items for purposes or in a manner other than those for which the items were intended."

it talks about not using powder containers to prop-up bridges and stuff like that.

forget the spirit of the rules; this is a clear bust. the t.d. needs to get a book.

dan... a really long pin might work if the butt had a really long hole in it.

Alfie
06-04-2002, 08:08 PM
[about illegal jump cues]

IMO, the drinking straw thing would be illegal because it is not an integral part of the cue, i.e., it is not strong enough to be used as a handle and, therefore, is not a handle and so can't be part of the length measurement. It's like tying a 12" string to the end of a shaft and calling it a handle.

But I wonder why we haven't seen a lot of thin yet sufficiently strong dowel handles? 1/4", 5/16", 3/8"?

And how much better than jump cues do shafts jump anyway?

CarolNYC
06-05-2002, 03:44 AM
Cheesemouse,
For you, I would only open a CAN OF CHEESE!ha ha ha-so come out of that hole cause we need you!:)
Have a nice day!
Carol

06-05-2002, 05:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: carson:</font><hr> Jump cues should be banned..

End of story..

If you want to get good at the game, learn to jump with the cue you bring to the table.. Not the cue you break with, that is your shitty cue.

Yet the break is the most important shot in the games that are predominant in todays pool culture..

Yet, still, learn to jump with the cue that you bring to the table..
Therefore, when jump cues are banned; because pool wants to become a televised sport. People who are relatively good at the game, will appreciate a good jump shot..

A good jump shot being defined for my purposes, as a shot taken with your shooting cue..

Now if you want to run my ass off using a Bungee Jump cue, or some other aptly titled "cheat stick", then I will play you 14.1 continuous, for a thousand dollars a point..

JUmp cues..
Real players do not need them..
Thus, save 100 dollars that they can turn into 1000.

Thank you.

cArson <hr></blockquote>

Although I believe you should not ever leave the table surface on purpose to evade an object ball(masse' and kicking should be used only),it's very nice to occasionally read a real player's point of view on this board.BS

06-05-2002, 04:21 PM
Doesn't the ball usually leave the table on masse' shots? It often looks like it leaves the table.

06-05-2002, 08:14 PM
Gee Carson, at nearly $400 I never thought of my break cue as my "shitty" cue (although when I don't make a ball on the break I do occasionally remark that I'd like my money back on this piece of $hit!) LOL Just kidding SS