PDA

View Full Version : Wiped out but hooked

Keith Talent
03-04-2005, 12:13 AM
So how bad is this? Go into work on the subway, nodding out like half the people in the car ... wake up several times with a start, fearing I couldn't feel my 2X3 case under my hands. Get through the shift on caffeine and sugar ...

Finally head out, repeat the hour subway trip ... head straight for PH. Tournament has just ended, lots of folks milling around, etc. See I'm too late for game I had penciled in in my mind and grab a table to work through a few things ... but the head feels like a bowling ball, stroking fine, but just can't imagine summoning the energy to get through any kind of competitive set. Pass on a couple of games I normally would take, though playing reasonably well at times.

Quit early (after an hour and a half) and head home to catch up on lost sleep ... Marek, I know what you mean, except I've never had insomnia! Just too many damned things dragging me out of bed! ... So here I am ... watching DCC 10-Ball Ring Game DVD for 59th time, usual couple of beers plus 1 ... posting tribulations of a subadequate pool player's struggles.

What is it about the game that does this to people? If I were younger with no commitments, I'm sure I'd be playing 12 hours a day, for better and worse. As it is, I squeeze in 3 or so and cheat on sleep. There are these stretches of time, a half-dozen or so racks a night when it all falls together and you just want it to last, to actually make that your regular address instead of a place you visit. Man, I got to get some sleep ... need to do it all and then some tomorrow. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Chris Cass
03-04-2005, 02:32 AM
Hi Keith,

Sounds like a tough nite. One we all seem to have had every now and then. You may think it's almost not worth putting in the time, when your spread so thin. Those few racks or hrs that we do shoot. It's with the lowest drive you can put out and don't do too bad.

You start to ask yourself again. Was it or is it a good thing? Bottom line, it's those times you are putting in are exactly close to the time your in a big tourney and waiting to play. Killing time and not having time to even take a little nap. Just waiting for the next match coming up.

It's endurance. Those conditions your playing under now, is practice for those times when endurace, needs to be addressed. It'll make you strong. Like staying up burning up both ends of the candle. At a younger age it comes easier but as we put on a few yrs. That's when we need to start cutting corners to save each moment of relaxation and save ourselves from what never bothered us too much younger.

The tourneys I attend or did at one time are events that go on for the entire weekend. The steps I took to cut corners was adding wheels on the bottom of my JJustis 2x4 case. It's heavy with both break, playing and jump cues along with some extras loading up the pouch.

These wheels allow me the pain in the shoulder from using the carrying strap and getting caught talking with other players to kill time and forgetting this weight is on my shoulder. This gives my break some help as I need my power for the matches.

Getting a room closest to the tournament area so that when it's time for those breaks I can go to the room and catch a lil snooze in. Even just relaxing. Beats falling asleep in the hotel lobby in those wounderful plush sofas. There in front of JQ public.

Eventually, it all catches up to you and you need to sleep. To wake up and do it all over again. People do this at work and with a loaded plate. Forget about even picking up a cue. It's almost a waist of time to put into the game.

K-Mom has been doing this for about 3 weeks now. Working overtime each week to, helping me get to the hospital daily when I'm sometimes unable to do for myself. Leaving work, pickingh me up, taking me then going back to work and finish the shift.

The pressure of work, then to come home to help clean and do choirs I'm unable to complete. Sometimes, cooking dinner and other problems from missing homework, to getting herslf ready for the next day.

I'll take her out and even tired she'll go to the ph with me carring her cue. Not, strong enough to put the energy behind playing but just to relax and have that needed beer for a break. Often times skipping meals and just plain tired.

We all need the endurance for these trying times but we also need to realize that, we need to just say heck with everything and take in a good sleep. Hope, you get yours.

Regards,

C.C.

loofnicnad
03-04-2005, 07:58 AM
Keith,
Just quit working and you'll have more time for the important things like watching pool on TV!!!
j/k

Seriously, I have the same problem with late night TV as well as going and going like the energizer bunny. Every once in a while I just stop. Go to bed. and forget about EVERYTHING for just one night. Usually it helps reset my mind so I can take off on a never ending schedule again the next day /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't know if that will help you, but at least you know that others are burnin' the candle at both ends too!

Loof

dvsmnstr
03-04-2005, 08:39 AM
I'm always wiped out also.. I'm only 22 so i'm probably younger than you but I work at 2 bars and there both huge on pool.. so I work all day 8-5 do whatever after work and end up going to the bar at around 1-2am and get home around 4 then wake up at 7:20.. I do this about 4 times a week.. only sleeping late on saturday.. everyone tells me to enjoy it while I can because in a few years I will never be able to stay up that late.

Keith Talent
03-04-2005, 03:40 PM
CC, good to hear from you. Your comment reminds me a little of a line from "Barfly" ... "Anybody can make it as a non-drunk. To make it as a drunk takes ENDURANCE."

Same I guess for those of us trying to play this game, running on fumes, I guess. Will consider some of yer strategizing, when my head clears.

Keith Talent
03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Way to go, holding up with those crazy hours. That's pretty much what I tried to do this past week, because my wife took some freelance work, which meant I had to get up earlier with the kids ... unfortunately for me, I'm twice as old as you, and I don't think there are enough vitamins or other substances in the medicine cabinet to prop me up for long on that sked! Good luck keeping it going ... a great, cranky writer, Celine, once said that if he hadn't suffered from insomnia, brought on by a WWI wound, he'd never have written a line.