PDA

View Full Version : New high run 61

mworkman
03-04-2005, 02:09 PM
I normally don't like to honk my own horn, but I just can't help myself. I'm soo excited. My previous high run was just 35 as of a couple weeks ago. Then last week I got a 40. Today I got a 61.

I'm not sure why, but I think the improvement has to do with some changes I've made. For one, when I watched a video of myself I noticed my arm at contact with the cueball was slightly more then 90 degrees. I fixed that.

Then, I also put a pause in my last stroke at the cueball and also at the end of the backstroke. I've only been working on this for a few weeks, so I'm not sure if it has taken yet completely.

My head is just buzzing. I had never even seen the 4th rack before today and now I've seen the 5th. I hope I don't wake up and this is just a dream.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nAz
03-04-2005, 03:08 PM
excellent dude! @ the rate your going you will hit 100 soon enough /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob_Jewett
03-04-2005, 04:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr>... Today I got a 61.

I'm not sure why, but I think the improvement has to do with some changes I've made. For one, when I watched a video of myself I noticed my arm at contact with the cueball was slightly more then 90 degrees. I fixed that.
... <hr /></blockquote>
Congratulation. One thing to note, though, is that many (maybe most?) of the top 14.1 players grip(ped) the stick in a spot that was in front of the point that would make their forearm/cue perpendicular at impact. I assume that's what you meant by "slightly more then 90 degrees." If you were gripping the stick too near the bumper, then I'd agree that the change is good, unless your name is Francisco.

mworkman
03-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks, Yes I was gripping the stick back of perpendicular. Now I'm gripping it slightly forward of perpendicular. It is not totally without effort as I'm still thinking about it, but, I'm almost there.

SecaucusFats
03-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Congratulations are certainly in order! (Won't be long now before you run 100.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
03-04-2005, 06:17 PM
That's great. You may be attributing your improvement to the wrong thing. Good shot makers may put together runs occasionally just as a result of their abilities to shoot their way out of trouble. My guess is you are developing a knack for running balls. It is more a game of know-how and even older players who can't get out of their own way playing 9-ball can usually still set up a break shot and run a few racks in straight pool with little problem. You are just plain becoming a better player and those runs will begin to bare it out if they start to come on a regular basis. A 100 is just a step away.

thepoolnerd
03-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Nice job. When you can run over 40 balls, you have the potential to break your record by many balls. Just today, I started a straight pool contest with a friend where one guy sends his high run for the day and the other guy has 3 days to beat it, etc. Winner gets a signed $1 bill to put on his wall for bragging rights.

Rod
03-04-2005, 11:28 PM
Good run, you must be learning better shot selection. As you go along you know what shot is right and which ones get you in trouble. Just keep adding to the do or don't do list and you'll see more of those runs.

If your new stroke is helping position play that will be a big help as well. A couple of tough shots is ok or expected as you run more balls. Shooting tough shots though is stressfull as you may well know. It wont't last long then a miss is in your future. Keep up the good work, make good decisions and you'll beat that number in the near future. BTW don't dwell on numbers, you'll gradually get better then one day it will click much more often. You'll find your avg run numbers will increase as well.

Rod

nail
03-08-2005, 08:51 AM
mworkman:
I'm envious of your quick improvement. I'm still at 28. I'm guessing the reason is your ball selection rather than your ability to pocket balls. I don't know if you read pool books, but I think "Babe" Cranfields' "The Straight Pool Bible" is geared for someone like you. He could pocket balls as well as any professional. His greatest asset, in my opinion, was his knowledge of the game. He probably had more high runs than anyone. If you read his book, you can see why. The man was a genius at shot selection (pattern play) and cue ball control. Good luck at 100. We're all pulling for you.

nail

mworkman
03-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks nail. If you're at 28, your just a successful break shot from 42 and you will get there if you want it bad enough and keep practicing. I never thought I would hit 50 but I never gave up. I do enjoy reading pool books and I will definately try to find Babe Cranfields' book. I look back at my run and I do think I made a lot of hard shots durring the run where in the past I would always miss. I felt that I just couldn't miss. I think it is due to some fundamental changes I made. Also, I've just been playing straight pool more then I did before. It's all I want to practice now.

Chris Cass
03-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Hi mworkman,

Can you describe in deatail the atmosphere, time of day, place, everything you can recall the day you did this? I'd be interested to find out.

Regards,

C.C.

mworkman
03-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Sure Chris. I love talking about it, just ask anybody I know. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It was friday afternoon downstairs in my basement. My oldest boy was in school and my 2 year old had just fallen asleep on the couch upstairs for a rare nap so there were no distractions. I had done about an hour and a half of drills earlier that day also. And I was playing 14.1 for about an hour when it happened. I was very nervous around 40 (my previous high), but then I settled down because I was allready happy that I broke my record. Also, I was playing the Pretenders greatest hits on the stereo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-10-2005, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mworkman:</font><hr> ...I was playing the Pretenders greatest hits on the stereo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

doo doo doo doo

GOT BALLS

doo doo doo doo

IN POCKET

doo doo doo doo

GOT CUE STICK

doo doo doo doo

I'M GONNA USE IT

GONNA MAKE YOU, MAKE YOU, MAKE YOU NOTICE

Wally &lt;&lt;~~ was listening to Bowie during his high run

Let's Dance! Put on you red shoes....

dmgwalsh
03-10-2005, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nail:</font><hr> mworkman:
I'm envious of your quick improvement. I'm still at 28. I'm guessing the reason is your ball selection rather than your ability to pocket balls. I don't know if you read pool books, but I think "Babe" Cranfields' "The Straight Pool Bible" is geared for someone like you. He could pocket balls as well as any professional. His greatest asset, in my opinion, was his knowledge of the game. He probably had more high runs than anyone. If you read his book, you can see why. The man was a genius at shot selection (pattern play) and cue ball control. Good luck at 100. We're all pulling for you.

nail <hr /></blockquote>

Let me echo your sentiments. My high is about 32 or 33, I forget.

I've been trying to get higher for awhile, but usually stall in the 20s.

A 100 ball runner told me Monday that I was shooting pretty good, but that I'm still learning the game and don't always choose the right shot. He said "you run a lot of 10s, don't you?" When I said I've had some 20s, he said yeah, but not too many.

Last night in league after my opponent fouled and then scratched to start at negative 3, I opened with a 28. Long break shot on the third rack, broke them, but missed the shot. After that it was high of 10-14 for the rest of the night. Need to keep working on my transitions, break shots. Sometimes. I'm working so hard to make the balls on the table, I have trouble working towards a break shot.

Onward and upward. I'm getting a lesson from Sailor on Sunday and I get to play the 100 ball runner on Monday.

Dennis

Chris Cass
03-11-2005, 01:09 AM
Never forget that feeling and next time you play try to get that same mental attitude to return and conditions and you'll go up from there. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMHO,

C.C.