PDA

View Full Version : Tip question

Plummerbutt
03-05-2005, 12:25 AM
I am really struggeling with ball speed and english. Seems that I have to hit the CB quite hard to get my desired effect of spin, thus causing trouble with speed and over playing L/R and draw. My question is this. Is there a tip out there that could give me the type of travel I'm hoping for but still wouldn't have to crack the CB so hard to get it? I'm currently using a Triangle (medium I think) tip on a Mcderrmot cue. Looking for more action with less force. Any help is appreciated.

LJC_Cues
03-05-2005, 01:33 AM
You can try a moori but I dont think the tip is your problem!

Chris Cass
03-05-2005, 02:20 AM
Hi Plummerbutt,

LOL What a name. Anyway, you shouldn't be having problems with a Triangle tip on there. You could get a bit more with a Everest Tip on. However, I have to agree with the other poster before me. I think it's in your grip hand. You may be choaking that chicken. Try to keep your cue as level as possible and hold it as slightly as you can. Kind of craddle the cue just enough grip pressure to hold the cue.

Practice this using draw and the cb and ob from side pocket to side pocket. Don't anticipate the shot and stay down. On your final stroke just follow through and don't use any force. Just hit it relaxed and the next shot try to adjust withn a bit more speed each time. The Triangle tip is a good hard tip well, it's actually a medium but harder than a LePro.

It could be that the tip needs shaping. If you break with your cue and have not been shaping it. The tip might have gotten a bit flat. The tip shopuld have about a nickel radious unless you prefer something like a dime or quarter. Either way, the tip should be arched. Also, look at the tip after you chalk up and hold it under the pool table lights. If the tip appears to be shining under the chalk? It should be lightly ruffed up. Nothing to raise much grain but to hold chalk.

Good luck,

C.C.

JimS
03-05-2005, 04:47 AM
I too doubt that the tip is the problem.

Are you sure you are hitting far enough from the center to get the desired effect and are you following through?

Follow through and stay down.

randyg
03-05-2005, 06:05 AM
Check your stroke not the tip.....SPF-randyg

Miss_Poolshark
03-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Dear Tip problem,

Just a few simple suggestions for your "Tip" question. To begin with, I have to agree with the number of Pool players that have responded to you by saying that the "Tip" is not the problem; or your problem for that matter. Although there are several brands out there, some better than others, the tip is only as good as the player.

Generally speaking the tip has nothing to do with making contact with the cue ball. It only makes contact the way you direct it to. The tip is only useful in making accurate contact when the shot is executed properly. Then and ONLY then will the tip make accurate contact with the cue ball and give you the response/ action that you are desiring.

My suggestion is this: Work harder on your stance, where you hold your pool cue, work on your stroke, your aim and your pool stick control (limit the side to side and up and down movements). Remember to always look down your pool stick shaft at the cue ball making sure your aim and English are accurate and then move your focus to the object ball during your stroke, follow through and making the shot. Work on having a sturdy and secure bridge, never shoot without following through and STAY DOWN throughout the ENTIRE shot (at least 5 seconds).

Lastly, to work on your english shots try using a striped ball. Practice with only that ball until you have gotten all the basic english shots down pat. The striped ball will show you what you are doing wrong and what you are doing right (just watch the stripes after contact and as it fizzles out).

Sure, it all sounds so basic doesn't it? Well, it really is. When we (as pool players on ALL levels of competition) get frustrated and lose our focus (and WE ALL do), we simply go back to basics. Elementary or not, if you have great fundamentals/ foundations you will always have something to continue to build or improve on.

Best of luck to you,

Miss Poolshark

PQQLK9
03-05-2005, 09:17 AM
That is some great advice Miss_Poolshark. Thanks for the post,welcome aboard and please stick around.

Miss_Poolshark
03-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Why thank you Nick for the warm welcome. As time allows, I will be checking back in to see what is going on in here. It's nice to be around fellow players and even nicer to be appreciated for the advice I have offered. See you again soon!

Miss Poolshark

Rod
03-05-2005, 10:24 AM
A triangle tip is med to med hard once used, no problem there. Improve your delivery and contact point on the c/b. Once you start hitting the c/b with accuracy, it will respond. The only note I make is possibly you may not know just how far outside of center the c/b can be struck. That is common. Also, when people miscue they think they reached the limit so they get conservative. The miscue was brought on by an inaccurate stroke, very common. Once your stroke is true, those problems disappear. You may still have speed or english problems but it's a much more pleasant task when your stroke has consistency.

Rod