PDA

View Full Version : Life, and the end of it.

pooltchr
03-06-2005, 06:24 AM
5 years ago at the Valley Forge expo, I ran into the owner of a pool room called the Brass Rail in upstate New York. He was a cousin I had not seen since we were kids. I recognized him only because of the tee shirt he was wearing from the room. I walked up to him and said "My cousin owns that room" and he turned around and it was Ted.
From that chance meeting, we re-established a close relationship. It was so strange that though miles and years separated us, we both ended up in the pool business. He and his son also were table mechanics in Oneonta, and he played on the CNY tour from time to time.
My Mom called last night to let me know he had passed away. I was sad to get the news, but so thankful that the opportunity had come for us to get together again these past few years.
Just a reminder to all not to let your friends and family drift too far away. You just never know.
Steve

PQQLK9
03-06-2005, 07:09 AM
My condolences to you Steve for your cousin.

"I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again…"
-Mahatma Gandhi

MrLucky
03-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Yes ! and it was divine providence that gave you the ability to have seen and spoken with your brother before he passed! I lost my Dad a few years ago and I am so happy that we were able to mend some old rifts and issues between us from way back a few years finally before he left me and my family! Fro his last couple of years we talked at least once a week and saw each other fairly often, So many folks take for granted that their parents and good friends will always be around and they neglect to speak and tell them that important I LOVE YOU! ..Quite sadly one day they may find out its too late! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Sorry Steve about your brothers leaving us and yours, but I am glad that you can at least can take a recent memory of him with you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

dg-in-centralpa
03-06-2005, 10:04 AM
My condolences to you.

DG

Rich R.
03-06-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

cdoo932
03-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I bought a used pool table from a guy in Utica,NY and had Brass Rail guy(younger guy,must be the son)pick it up and set it up for me.I rode with him and helped him and he was a very nice guy.Let me tell you,this guy did a GREAT job and very good price.That is too bad that his dad(your cousin) passed.
Steve

Barbara
03-06-2005, 02:33 PM
Steve,

I'm sorry for your loss but I'm glad you got together with you cousin before it happened.

Barbara

Popcorn
03-06-2005, 03:34 PM
When my father died in 1971 he and my older sister had not spoken for years yet we all lived in the same town. When he was dying she was called and told if she wanted to see her father alive for the last time she better come to the hospital. When she got there he had already died. I know it still haunts her. He treated her like a princess when she was young, new cars, modeling lessons any thing she wanted. She had turned on him and cut off the relationship. Many times it could have been healed but she waited just a little too long and now lives with it.

ChuckR
03-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. As you remind us that we should live every day as though its our last for it might very well be. Kinda like shooting good pool. Every shot is of equal importance. ChuckR

Eric.
03-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Hey Steve,

It's always sad to hear about a friend or family member passing, but this is a happy story (to me). I've had many friends and family pass on suddenly over the years. Whenever it happens, you can't help but to think "I should have, wish I, maybe if, what if...". It's human nature. I'm glad you had your "what if" with your cousin.

Sorry for your loss.

Eric