PDA

View Full Version : Great night playing pool

nAz
03-06-2005, 09:18 PM
lol I forget how much fun playing pool with ball bangers and pos can be.
I was at my sisters house tonight for a family get together and after dinner some of us went to the basement to play on their 6foot warped table. Man I had a blast, sharking each other goofing around watching the balls roll from side to side and taking forever to stop. I swear the cue ball look like it was drunk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Anyway I think I will have to do that more often I think it helps instill the love of the game for me.

9 Ball Girl
03-07-2005, 08:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>I think it helps instill the love of the game for me. <hr /></blockquote>Hmmm. Maybe that's what I need to do since I have no love for the game anymore.

Wendy&lt;---VF will probably be the last pool outing for me...

SecaucusFats
03-07-2005, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> lol I forget how much fun playing pool with ball bangers and pos can be.
I was at my sisters house tonight for a family get together and after dinner some of us went to the basement to play on their 6foot warped table. Man I had a blast, sharking each other goofing around watching the balls roll from side to side and taking forever to stop. I swear the cue ball look like it was drunk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Anyway I think I will have to do that more often I think it helps instill the love of the game for me. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm glad you had fun.

I've taught a few guys and gals (and I still teach anyone who asks me) for free. One of the things I always tell them is that while it's good to learn, practice, and be serious when competing, they should never forget that it's a game and that it's supposed to be fun.

Remember when you first made a perfect stop shot, or the first time you drew the rock? How about when you first made a hard bank, or a really tough shot? I know we all do. I bet that, like me, you probably got such a kick out of it that you were smiling from ear to ear like a kid on Christmas morning. There was magic on the table then and there's still magic on the table now for those of us who haven't lost that child-like sense of wonder.

Not too long ago a friend was commenting about some bangers playing on a nearby table, his comments were negative and dismissive. I turned to him and said "Yeah, they may not know how to play too well, but damn.. just look at how much fun they're having and the joy they are playing with!".

I never want to lose that joy, I never want to be unable to laugh at myself when I screw up. Hell, I already have a job. I don't want to make pool another job. To me it's about having a good time with others, win or lose.

Good on ya Naz, you can still perceive the magic! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich R.
03-07-2005, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr>I'm glad you had fun.

I've taught a few guys and gals (and I still teach anyone who asks me) for free. One of the things I always tell them is that while it's good to learn, practice, and be serious when competing, they should never forget that it's a game and that it's supposed to be fun.

Remember when you first made a perfect stop shot, or the first time you drew the rock? How about when you first made a hard bank, or a really tough shot? I know we all do. I bet that, like me, you probably got such a kick out of it that you were smiling from ear to ear like a kid on Christmas morning. There was magic on the table then and there's still magic on the table now for those of us who haven't lost that child-like sense of wonder.

Not too long ago a friend was commenting about some bangers playing on a nearby table, his comments were negative and dismissive. I turned to him and said "Yeah, they may not know how to play too well, but damn.. just look at how much fun they're having and the joy they are playing with!".

I never want to lose that joy, I never want to be unable to laugh at myself when I screw up. Hell, I already have a job. I don't want to make pool another job. To me it's about having a good time with others, win or lose.

Good on ya Naz, you can still perceive the magic! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Tap, Tap, Tap. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good post Fats. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brian in VA
03-07-2005, 11:08 AM
Wendy,
You got mail. See PMs.

Brian in VA

Keith Talent
03-07-2005, 07:53 PM
Hell, I thought you were talking about your usual Thurs nite post-tournament group therapy session. Sounds like a good laugh, anyway. Any of these guys want to learn a thing or two? I get a kick out of it if I can show somebody like that just one little thing that might help, like a few guys have done for me over the years.

9 Ball Girl
03-08-2005, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Hell, I thought you were talking about your usual Thurs nite post-tournament group therapy session. <hr /></blockquote>Hey Keith, I've heard about those group therapy sessions on Thursdays and from what I hear, you ain't no pushover!

nAz
03-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Hey SF, ya that is a good post and i too enjoy teaching something new to a new player or even someone who has been playing for a while. the look they get when they learn to draw the rock is almost priceless.

nAz
03-08-2005, 09:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Hell, I thought you were talking about your usual Thurs nite post-tournament group therapy session. Sounds like a good laugh, anyway. Any of these guys want to learn a thing or two? I get a kick out of it if I can show somebody like that just one little thing that might help, like a few guys have done for me over the years. <hr /></blockquote>

Thursday night post tourney games are for purely shark proofing your game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keith Talent
03-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Need to be wearin your best sharkskin, for sure!

And, er, Wendy, guess pushover's not exactly the right word. I specialize in the expert 2-ball runout followed by the expert miscue, to the best of my recollection. But sometimes that's good enough, when you've got the amazing nAz in your corner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif