PDA

View Full Version : An exiting nite of pool

dvsmnstr
03-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey guys, I had a really fun time friday night involving pool figured I would share my story. I work at a bar and play alot of pool probably around 2-3 hours a day i'm not the best but can beat most of your average bar+ players. It was after hours and a bunch of older rich guys (owners and friends) are all in there bs'ing and drinking shooting pool.. I walked into the bar around 2:30am and they all start there here's the pool champ teasing me stuff and we start to play some 8ball doubles me and the owner are always partners so we take on some of his friends we played 20 a man so 40 bucks a team. By the end of the night we had a pile of around $800 bucks so I count out his 400 to give him and he just says keep it of coarse I refuse then he makes me keep it.. so I walked away with $800 bucks for the nite! thats way more than my weekly paycheck I'm only 21 and in the police academy so I don't make much as of now. Just though I would share my story with all my friends on this site, and on a side note the next night we went out to a pool hall and while we were waiting for a table (the place was packed) a guy walked up and kindly said .. "do you gamble" I said a little watcha playing he said 8-ball for 20 bucks a game.. just winnign 800 the night before I was feeling a little gutsy so I said sure i'll play a game or too.. i'm always weary about people so I did not take him as a easy win. Quick story .. the guy was awsome one of the best I have seen.. I lost a quick 40 in two games and he wanted to play more but I said no way.. gave him a nice handshake and said "you have a very good shot".. heh moral fo the story is there is always someone better! hehe sorry for the long read this ended up being more than I first thought.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr>

...heh moral fo the story is there is always someone better! ...<hr /></blockquote>

Yep. You were smart to quit that guy when you did I guess.

Popcorn
03-07-2005, 12:00 PM
"the guy was awsome one of the best I have seen.. I lost a quick 40 in two games "

With all due respect, you only took a two game shot at the guy. It doesn't matter if he broke and ran the first two racks, and I don't think he did, you still don't know how the guy really plays. He may be completely heartless if you put a little heat on him. I think the money was your reason for quitting, not his play, although you may have convinced yourself of that and used it as an excuse to quit. $20. a game may be a little steep for you and you had to quit. Next time play for something where you can give the game an honest test, after all you said you are a good player. Play for something that will give you at least 10 barrels so you can play without panicking after losing just a few games. This is not a criticism but just some advice. You can't win if you don't give yourself a chance. It's not unusual to lose sessions 11 to 1 or 2 and not lose another session and drill the guy.

Popcorn
03-07-2005, 12:02 PM
After 2 games??? Another problem quitting so quick is you can't adjust the game from there. If a guy quits me after a game or two games why should I give him any weight. He just told me he is more then willing to take my money, but is afraid to lose any of his own. You can't really gamble with scared players.

dvsmnstr
03-07-2005, 12:32 PM
thanks for the comments guys, just to clear a few things up.. I quit playing him for a few reasons not just cause I lost some money. Our table was ready and I was there with soem people not by myself, I can tell how good someone is and this guy was good.. I'm not saying I could not beat him because anyone can beat anyone in pool but beating him more than he beats you is the trick. I plan on going back and hopefully seeing him there again, and play a race to 5 or so for maybe 5-10 bucks a rack. Atleast the guy was cool, I will have no problem playing him again.. not cocky he did not try to hustle me by playing bad then good he just flat out asked if I wanted to play and I agreed. thanks guys!

Popcorn
03-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Stay within your comfort zone and you will have a lot more fun and get a chance to see how good you can really play. Nothing worse then quiting when you really don't want to because of the money.

When I was about 17 I was playing a guy and beating him for $2.00, $5. and then $10. a game. The bet kept going up and at $40.00 a game I really felt the heat. He got even on me and I lost about $60.00 and quit. Another player named Dan sitting there asked the guy if he wanted to play some more. He said sure $40.00 a game and Dan said no $5.00. You know they started playing and Dan busted the guy with the bet never going over $20.00 a game even though the guy kept asking to raise it. Dan managed his money better then I had or I would have busted the guy. I had the guy on the ropes and let him up when I raised the bet too high, it put him back in the game money wise and put too much heat on me. On paper I should have kept beating him, but on paper and reality are two different things. His new found enthusiasm and me now worrying about the money completely changed the game regardless who was the better player. By the way, playing $40.00 a game 9-ball in the early 60's was a lot of money.