PDA

View Full Version : Installing One-Piece "Tipless Ferrule"

SpiderMan
03-07-2005, 01:25 PM
For those of you who may be making and/or installing these:

1) What material are you using?

2) Are you just boring a square-bottomed hole, or is it threaded?

3) What are you doing about a relief hole for the glue? Since the ferrule is also the tip, I'm assuming you don't have a relief hole right on the crown.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
03-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Still looking for someone who's done it.

SpiderMan

ras314
03-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Spiderman, I haven't done it but I have some LBM rod ordered from Atlas and expect to try that. I have several junk house cues so the only loss from a goof up is the $1/inch rod.

One thought is use the glue sparingly and cut some grooves in the tendon for the excess to go.

Might try the "Ask the cuemaker" forum over on AzBilliards.

LJC_Cues
03-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Spiderman,

I thread the tip/ferrule. Since there is no glue hole I use very little epoxy. I have not had any trouble with the ferrules expanding because of glue or falling off or coming looose.

Luke

sliprock
03-09-2005, 10:49 AM
You've got PM

SpiderMan
03-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Got it, thanks.

ras314
03-16-2005, 01:52 PM
I've had one on for several days now with no problems so far. I used the LBM rod and cut the tenon hole for a tight fit, no threads, grooves, or glue relief hole. Used the 5 min epoxy. It felt sort of funny sliding the thing onto the tenon as the glue was sealing the air in but eventually got enough out to get a tight fit against the shaft shoulder. Next time I'll cut a groove in the tenon just to avoid that.

LBM appears rather brittle but hasn't cracked so far. I'm having trouble getting the tip roughed up enough to hold chalk very well. The sledgehammer tip is much better I think.

Have a good time with all the chili and stuff this weekend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cheese_ball
03-16-2005, 02:23 PM
I have a quick question for you guys... why aren't you using the canvas phenolic rod??? You talk about using LBM, but that material is too fine. It will never hold up to the abuse you're putting it through, and the fine linen grain won't hold chalk either. You can purchase the canvas phenolic or CE (commonly used acronym in the plastics industry) at almost ANY plastics distributor. You can find some pretty good prices/ft. if you shop around, but Atlas Billiards has it right on their website. It's going for $13.00 per 40" rod if you don't want to (or can't) buy in bulk. http://www.cuestik.com/cuestik/finditem.cfm?itemid=4587

1westtexasboy
03-16-2005, 07:59 PM
THIER HAS BEEN DISCUSSION BY B C A RULES ABOUT MATERAILS ON JUMP CUES
DAMAGING BALLS AND TABLES THEY THINK THAT PEOPLE TRYING
TO PUT ANY MATERAIL HARD ON THE END OF THIER CUES.
THEY ALSO HAVE CONSIDER MUST HAVE FERRULE AND TIP AND ONE PIECE FERRULES ARE GETTING FRAGILE MATERAILS INSTALLED WITH NO LIMITATION WHAT MATERIALS ARE USE SUPPOSE TO BE LEATHER TYPE OR OTHER WHICH CAUSES PROBLEMS. JUST TID BIT
FROM LAST NOVEMBER VEGAS U S OPEN.

ras314
03-16-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm not using the canvas phenolic rod because I intend to use the LBM for hard ferrules and I like white. The one piece tip is just to fiddle with the stuff on a cheap cue. When or if it cracks I'll just put on a normal tip.

I certainly agree that the LBM material is too fine for a tip.

I do not buy in bulk because this is strictly a hobby for me, not commercial work.