PDA

View Full Version : Pool on CNN

Keith Talent
03-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Anybody see the CNN special on Saudi Arabia Sunday night? It was pretty well done ... there were bits on people who actually were challenging the system and willing to go on camera and talk ... some ex-jihadis, women's advocates, etc.

Fine so far ... then we see the underbelly of Saudi life, the misfits, the druggies, the men stuck doing "women's jobs" in the factory because women can't work , the losers ... and the first scene? You guessed it ... there's the crack of the pool balls, some guy shooting with a cig hanging out of his mouth. Jeez ...

highsea
03-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Was he any good? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lol, I understand your point about how it's portrayed, but even so I'm just amazed at the universal popularity of our game. When the war in Iraq started, I was reading an Iraqi blog, and in the picture section there were a bunch of pics of kids playing pool. I've seen pictures of kids playing in India on beatup tables with no cloth, I've played on crap tables in dives in Mexico, Nicaragua, Cuba, Costa Rica, the Bahamas, native villages in Alaska and British Columbia. It's growing in popularity in Russia and even the dirt poor former Soviet countries like Moldava have pool tables. They can't feed themselves, but they play pool.

I have a friend in Antarctica right now, I think I am going to email him and ask him if they have a pool table. I bet they do...

Keith Talent
03-07-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey, that's looking on the bright side, all right!

Couldn't tell how the Saudi shot, but the CNN guy undercut a routine shot up the rail by a diamond. At least the tables looked like well-kept 9-footers.

christopheradams
03-08-2005, 03:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Was he any good? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've played on crap tables in dives in Mexico, Nicaragua, Cuba, Costa Rica, the Bahamas, native villages in Alaska and British Columbia. <hr /></blockquote>

I played on a really crappy table on the Grand bahama island in the Bahama's. 50 cents a game though and the thing spit out over 20 balls(some had doubles). Thats a deal down there considering gas is $3.36 a gallon. I got to play every other day though while on vacation and it was a short beach walk from my hotel. Some pockets you shot in would not suck the ball down so when i realized this, i practiced my stroke and shot balls in just that pocket /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Spend Less than $5 the whole vacation for table time. The table was unlevel, worn bad, and the place stunk like fish but I got my practice in and thats all that counts. I also hung a sponge ball with a shoe lace from a light in my hotel room and was knocking that around quite a bit. Also watched pool Dvds a lot, read pool books and relaxed on the beach with Bahama momma's and played pool in my mind. Great vacation! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-08-2005, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr>

...I've played on crap tables in dives in Mexico, Nicaragua, Cuba, Costa Rica, the Bahamas, native villages in Alaska and British Columbia. It's growing in popularity in Russia and even the dirt poor former Soviet countries like Moldava have pool tables. ... <hr /></blockquote>

At the local tavern I met a recent arrival from Mongolia who lives and works at the cheap motel next door. After a few minutes of broken-English conversation he points to the pool table and says

"You play some 8-ball?"