PDA

View Full Version : Safety Man

ChuckR
03-08-2005, 06:50 AM
What is the best strategy to use when you play someone that plays you safe on most of his shots? This guy will hide the cue ball or object ball on any shot that is not straight in. I play safe when I can't get out or when a shot is too difficult, but this guy will duck 90% of the time. I am constantly kicking or going multi-rail just to get a hit. He will get lots of balls in hand and never runs more than a couple of balls before he is playing his next safe. It's good practice for me but is discouraging to say the least. I guess the best defense is to keep him in the chair as much as I can. Ever run into this type?? ChuckR /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman2
03-08-2005, 07:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> I guess the best defense is to keep him in the chair as much as I can. <font color="blue"> Yes, or play him the same way or get much better at kicks. </font color> Ever run into this type?? <font color="blue">Yep, we all have.. </font color> ChuckR /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

MrLucky
03-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Sounds like you have run into a couple of my friends ! I do the same thing back I run what and when I can but if a shot looks like less than a 75% option or I can't be certain of getting where I need to after it I snooker him and try and get ball in hand! Safeties are never a bad thing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DickLeonard
03-08-2005, 08:02 AM
Chuck this is a true old story told to me by Tommy"Little
Ceasaer"Giovanni. He was going to play Ralph Greenleaf an exhibition before the match he told Ralph that he played a
tight safety game would that bother him,Ralph told him play
anyway you play your game.

They lagged for the break and Ralph got just above the side pocket,Tommy won the lag and had Ralph play the opening shot. Ralph gave him a rotation break Tommy ran 7 and Ralph ran 125 and out.

Stories like this happen when your a youngster with oldtimers then an oldtimer with youngters.####

SpiderMan
03-08-2005, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ChuckR:</font><hr> What is the best strategy to use when you play someone that plays you safe on most of his shots? This guy will hide the cue ball or object ball on any shot that is not straight in. I play safe when I can't get out or when a shot is too difficult, but this guy will duck 90% of the time. I am constantly kicking or going multi-rail just to get a hit. He will get lots of balls in hand and never runs more than a couple of balls before he is playing his next safe. It's good practice for me but is discouraging to say the least. I guess the best defense is to keep him in the chair as much as I can. Ever run into this type?? ChuckR /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Chuck,

If the game is 8-ball, it should be difficult for him to consistently get lockup safteties near the beginning of the game. The incoming shooter just has too many options. With good players, 8-ball is frequently won by the person who makes the first correct decision to go for it.

SpiderMan

ChuckR
03-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Just for clarity's sake, the game is 9 ball. Thanks to everyone for the input. Sounds like I better start playing more safeties. ChuckR

Popcorn
03-08-2005, 08:56 AM
That type of play won't beat a better player. Even in one pocket, you can play too safe. What you are doing is allowing the other guy to make mistakes without being punished because you don't take full advantage. The overly safe player is also predictable and easy to play safe on since they won't shoot. They are just irritating but not terribly threatening. I think this is true in every pool game, playing safe when you should be shooting makes you a easier to beat.

Popcorn
03-08-2005, 09:10 AM
"Safeties are never a bad thing"

Thats true but only to a degree. Safeties are a tool, but when overused will inhibit your ability to play a good aggressive game and can become a crutch weakening your overall play. Pool is one of the few sports you can win and never let your opponent even play, but you can get beat by any player you let come to the table one time too many.

MrLucky
03-08-2005, 09:32 AM
I agree totally! but my point was that shooting them at times and thinking about them is neccesary ! not thinking safes in the past was my biggest weakness ! As in everything in life balance is important ! Use all the tools available to you /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
03-08-2005, 10:07 AM
How's your kicking game? In 1 foul rotation games you have to havea reliable kicking game.

In 9 ball you have to control the table. It sounds like your opponent doesn't have much of a runout game but tries to control the table by playing safe constantly. If you have a kicking game you can rely on, you can break his game down. If you kick, make a good hit and leave the table open, it sounds like he won't be able to run out anyway. Eventually, might leave you with a shot by missing, blow safe, etc.

Eric

HallofFame
03-08-2005, 10:23 AM
I found there are two reasons why this is done:

1. Get you out of stroke and pissed off, which takes you out of your game.

2. They are insecure and your ability to pocket balls has them at a disadvantage.

SOLUTION:

Learn to kick like Efron, play your game, and play safe when you HAVE to; DON'T get sucked into playing HIS game, this is a ploy used is in ALL sports; get the better team/player to get out of their/his game.

HOF

cheesemouse
03-08-2005, 02:22 PM
chuckr,

If your goal in pool is to always take your best shot you will find, as your game improves, most of your shots will be of an offensive nature. As someone stated "if the guy is playing safe when he should be pocketing balls" he is no real threat to win many games. You gotta love it when your opponent takes the wrong shot.