PDA

View Full Version : BCA rules on homemade equipment?

UWPoolGod
03-08-2005, 09:01 AM
I was wondering about homemade equipment being used in BCA tourneys or leagues. I was at the BCA 8ball regionals in Lincoln City, OR this weekend and saw a player on one of the teams from Seattle pull out a bridge that was almost ridiculous..but highly effective. It was made of sheet metal that had padded 'V' grooves on all 4 sides at varying heights. It was modified to fit on an extension bridge. It was probably 8" tall when on its end making it easy to jump a ball in the middle of the table when the blocking ball was 3-4 inches away. Watched him drill a jump shot from the middle doing it against another team. They were like what the heck is this contraption...so was I of course. Maybe it is for sale out there somehwere but I have not seen it.

My question was if it was legal to use. Kinda like Earl's finger extensions. Giving the player an unfair advantage because they are not available on the market to purchase.

MrLucky
03-08-2005, 09:12 AM
I have actually seen in the past one of these larger bridges like you describe ! I would think it would be legal according to the rule books definitions

SpiderMan
03-08-2005, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> My question was if it was legal to use. Kinda like Earl's finger extensions. Giving the player an unfair advantage because they are not available on the market to purchase. <hr /></blockquote>

Are finger extensions acceptable at amateur nationals?

SpiderMan

Deeman2
03-08-2005, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> My question was if it was legal to use. Kinda like Earl's finger extensions. Giving the player an unfair advantage because they are not available on the market to purchase. <hr /></blockquote>

Are finger extensions acceptable at amateur nationals?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Spiderman,

I would certainly think the rules would have to expressly forbid them or have a general statement of exclusion of items. I know I used a few snooker rests in Europe that would probably frighten some of us here. In this industry, with the possible exception of balls and cue length there are almost no standards. Can you imagine having a 13" hoop at one basketball game and an 18" at another? Pockets go from 4 &amp; 3/8" to over 5" and so forth. I think it would be hard to describe an illegal bridge. </font color>

Deeman
long enough fingers for no "earl" extenders..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

wolfdancer
03-08-2005, 12:38 PM
I was there also, and saw the device.....thought it was pretty neat, and don't see why it wouldn't be legal.
I heard that Chinook Winds will not host the ACS anymore, due to a poor turnout???

UWPoolGod
03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Yeah that is what I heard about ACS too. In October for 9ball there were only 35 or so Masters and 85 or so Open players. And maybe 50-60 teams. I did not go to the ACS 8ball so I don't know how many were there but heard it was pretty bad. That was my first time to BCA regionals and was amazed with the turnout. Its too bad that it was the same weekend as the bar box championships. Would have been nice to watch Atwell, Tourangeau, etc battle it out.