PDA

View Full Version : Sledgehammer Vs. Jerico Thumper

littleCajun
03-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I just want to post my own view between the two cues.

I just received my Sledgehammer break cue and was excited to see what all the hype was. The cue does break extremly well and jumps very well also. I love the one piece ferryl (I know I mispelled ), I have had issues keeping phynolic (again spelling) tips on.

So I decided to try it against the jerico thumper that I had been using. I broke 9 and 8 ball racks 10 apiece, using a stroke speed break shot. I found that the thumper does a better job of breaking the racks by far. You can even feel the more efficent transfer of energy.

The one comment about the jerico is that you must hit the cue ball square. The tip is so hard that you will most likley miscue if you dont deliver you cue level at impact.

Just my 2 cents if its even worth that much.

randyg
03-09-2005, 07:11 AM
I find the same with my Jerico B/J cue. More transferable energy at lower speeds..........SPF-randyg

Cane
03-09-2005, 08:41 AM
I also agree. I have a maple/bocote Jerico JB that performs great. I don't jump unless it's just absolutely necessary, but when I do need to, jumping with it is effortless. For breaking, I've owned countless break cues and J/B's is and I've yet to find one that transfers energy as efficiently as the Jerico.

Later,
Bob

cheese_ball
03-09-2005, 09:56 AM
I also have a Jerico, and the thing performs great! It is the best jump break on the market as far as I'm concerned. My only hope is that maybe Jerry will make some nicer looking ones in the near future. The only thing that makes the Sledgehammer more popular and more widely available is the marketing, and the actual design work. Mike's cues just plain look better than Jerry's. It pains me to say so, because the Jerico outperforms the Sledge any day of the week... It breaks like a high-speed train wreck! Neither one is a GREAT jump cue, though the Jerico IS a better jumper than the S.H. I find both of them to be too heavy for my liking. The S.H., because of the one piece ferrule/tip combo, tends to jump the rock in the wrong direction, as any slight-off smack, and that piece of phenolic wants to slide down the side of the ball. Well, there's my 10 cents... anyone want to up the anty??? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cane
03-09-2005, 11:50 AM
Cheese_ball, This is the Jerico J/B I got this past summer. I think it's his latest design, and it's definitely more pleasing to look at than the Thumper. Well, at least it is for me! The bocote in it matches the bocote in my custom.

http://members.clnk.com/caneman/jerjb01.jpg

http://members.clnk.com/caneman/jerjb02.jpg

The butt is plain maple, but the bocote forarms with maple points with the bocote diamonds in them kind of sets it off.

Later,
Bob

cheese_ball
03-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Hey Cane,

That is the EXACT model of Jerico I have... It looks good, but not great... I just wish Jerico would offer a higher end model. You can get a $1000.00 Sledgehammer if you want to spend the $$$$$. Also, what's the deal with Jerico's finish??? I didn't have that cue more than three weeks before the finish was cracking off all over the place. Even though the thing plays better than any other breaker, I look at the condition it's in (as my S.H. has never had any problems with the finish) and I feel like I got cheesed! (pun intended /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Another thing, what's up with that ridiculous name? The Thumper? What kind of hillbilly nonsense is that? I'm a gonna thump ya real good boy! Talk about a marketing strategy gone wrong! What about some name for us Northerners that doesn't make us think of moonshine, boots and spitoons... I've already stated that I'd pick up a Jerico J/B over the S.H. any day in my past post, so while I may be ripping on the Jerico's craftsmanship (or lack there of), the technology is there!!!

Popcorn
03-09-2005, 06:06 PM
I guess Thumper refers to hopping like a rabbit. Thumper was the rabbit in Bambi if I remember right.

Cane
03-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Maybe you should give Jerry a call about the finish. Mine has been used at least 5 nights a week for nearly a year and no problem with the finish at all... well, I take that back, there is one chip, but I can't blame that on the finishing job. I was in a bar with an 8' ceiling and pulled the butt of the JB right out of the case into a low hung ceiling fan. It put a dent in the butt and a slight crack in the finish, but other than that, no chips or any other problems. BTW, a former friend of mine has a Jerico jump break, 4 point, with a wrap, that everyone says looked really nice. I don't know... if you read the other thread on that, it's the cue that I ordered for the guy (no, I'm not a Jerico dealer, just was a go-between on this deal) and the guy left town with the cue before I saw it, and before he paid for it... but I understand it's really nice looking! *S*

Popcorn, You're right. Thumper was the rabbit in Bambi. I don't know if that's why the Jerico jump break is called the Thumper, but if not, it makes good sense!

Later,
Bob

Papasmurf
03-09-2005, 10:48 PM
I also have a Jerico Break Jump cue but its called "The Whipper". I love it. Jerry put a complete one piece ferrule instead of just the tip on it for me. Would not play without it, you do have to hit square...

drawshot
03-10-2005, 01:57 AM
I had a Thumper a little while ago. Before he started putting a new 50,000 psi tip on it. A friend of mine also had a J&J jump/break and it was almost identical . But mine was signed by Jerry. Did J&J steal Jerry's design?
I think Bunjee's jump/breaks might be similar as well.

I have a Sledge now and like it allot.

randyg
03-10-2005, 06:32 AM
"Thumper" & "Bambi" (martial arts) was one of the two women in a James Bond flick

Scott Lee
03-10-2005, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> "Thumper" &amp; "Bambi" (martial arts) was one of the two women in a James Bond flick <hr /></blockquote>

Randy...Thumper and Bambi were both in the James Bond flick "Diamonds Are Forever"! They kept watch over Willard Whyte until he was "rescued" by Bond!/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

Cane
03-10-2005, 06:33 PM
OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!! THAT Thumper! I'd forgotten all about her! hmmmmmmmm... much better than dat durn wabbit!

Bob

pooltchr
03-11-2005, 05:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!! THAT Thumper! ... much better than dat durn wabbit!

Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely, although that one seemed a bit more dangerous! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steve

SPetty
03-11-2005, 06:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> OOOOOOOHHHHHHH!!!!! THAT Thumper!<hr /></blockquote> http://www.jamesbondmm.co.uk/images/bond-villains/daf/tp004.jpg

randyg
03-11-2005, 07:25 AM
SCOTT: Where do ya be at?.....SPF-randyg

Scott Lee
03-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Randy...I'm here in Chicago, for the moment! LOL What can I do for you?

Scott

SplinterHands
03-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Thumper? I think the name has been changed to the "Stinger". I talked to Tom Simpson the other night and he has distribution rights to it. The think breaks and jumps great. For those of you who are going to Valley Forge, you can see them there. http://www.poolclinics.com/products.html

runout1961
03-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Where can I find the Jerico break cue? I am currently thinking about buying a sledgehammer but after reading all these posts I would like to take a look at the jerico.

Popcorn
03-13-2005, 11:28 AM
This is not an indorcement, I don't know anything about them, I just have the web site.
http://www.jericocues.net/

Misel
03-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi,
Check out Hawleys.com

Misel

Keith Talent
03-14-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm looking at these two, the Jerico and the Sledge, also now. Had been pondering the Jerico for $229 on Hawley's ... but not sure whether my break was worth it, and I've already got a Lucasi jump cue that's been sitting on the shelf for months.

Then yesterday, playing my first tourney in a few months, I was giving a game to a so-so player in a race to 6. He had a Sledgehammer ... and got the 9 on the snap twice. So he's halfway there ... a couple of botched runouts by me, he keeps plugging away, and it's a bummer loss. Guy tells me after the match he couldn't break worth a damn till he got the thing, either ... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ABChad
03-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Haven't posted in a while, but I though I'd put my two cents in! I purchased a jerico j/b about 6 months ago, and it's the only piece in my arsenal I wouldn't go without! This cue breaks like a ton of bricks, and jumps like a kangaroo (sorry Jerry, I had to re-use that one)! it really is a great jump/break, and I strongly reccomend one to anyone that doesn't have a dedicated break cue. Actually, I changed my mind, no one should buy one of these cues, that way I still have the advantage! hope to see you all at the Hopkins show this weekend!

al654321
03-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Any particular weight preferred??

littleCajun
03-15-2005, 02:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote al654321:</font><hr> Any particular weight preferred?? <hr /></blockquote>

Lighter the better, The break is all about cue speed, just like in baseball.

Popcorn
03-15-2005, 03:41 PM
That is not entirely correct, there is a point of diminishing returns.

Cane
03-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Lighter is better to a point... mine is 18 ounces and with a 6 speed stroke, sends the cue ball into the rack like a cannonball.

For me, I wouldn't go lighter than an 18 nor heavier than a 20. Most proficient players I know use between a 17 and a 19 for a break cue.

Later,
Bob

lord_shar
03-15-2005, 04:36 PM
I tend to go with at least a 19. Lighter cues are easier to accelerate, but they'll tend to "bounce" or deflect more at the point of impact with the cue ball. Heavier cues take more effort to accelerate, but they'll carry/transfer more energy into the cue ball upon impact.

PS: It's been years since I've taken physics, so please feel free to correct any blatant errors above /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Popcorn
03-15-2005, 05:16 PM
I think you would be in the minority but you should use what proves to work best for you. The ability to explain it isn't important.

Rod
03-15-2005, 06:48 PM
The problem I've found is trying to accelerate a heavier cue tends to force the weight. Of course that will cause off center hits. On a bar box, I like a little lighter about 18.5 while I use my 19 OZ Playing cue on a 9 footer.

To light can cause the same type effect, not because of to much weight, because of lack of weight one might jerk. Thinking you can smack the hell out of them doesn't promote smooth acceleration.

Rod

1westtexasboy
03-16-2005, 01:06 AM
THE HIGHER THE SPEED THE MORE PRECISE THE HIT SQUARE ON THE ONE BALL JUST A LITTLE OFF VERTICAL AXES YOU LOSE ENERGY TRANSFER. WHAT HAPPENS TO MOST CUES PEOPLE BREAK WITH IS THE LOSS OF COMPRESSION OF THE TIP LOSING 3 TO 4 MPH AND DISTURBING THE PATH OF CUEBALL ON RELEASE CAUSING A MISS HIT SQUARE ON THE ONE BALL IN A RESULT OF 3 OR 4 MORE MPH LOST NOW YOU ARE AT 6 TO 7 MPH LOST 20 MPH TURNS TO ONLY 13 MPH BREAK. THE THUMPER STINGER AND STARGATE SERIES FROM JERICO CUES PATENT CORRECTS THE PLAYERS ABILITY TO HIT SQUARE AND RELEASE OF ENERGY PROBLEMS BESIDES HIS WARRANITY IS THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS ANY PROBLEMS CALL HIM HE WILL HELP YOU. HE LIVES IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS. I HAVE SEEN A $3500.00 JUMP BREAK HE BUILT AWE <font color="blue"> </font color> SOME. HE HAS BEEN BUILDING CUES SINCE THE 1980'S ROAD PLAY FOR 10 YEARS. HE TEACHS POOL IN DALLAS TEXAS SOMEWHERE FOR YEARS. I SEE ON HIS SITE CUE TECH WITH SOME PRETTY GOOD PLAYERS HE HAS WORK WITH. www.jericocues.net (http://www.jericocues.net)

Popcorn
03-16-2005, 11:20 AM
"JERICO CUES PATENT CORRECTS THE PLAYERS ABILITY TO HIT SQUARE AND RELEASE OF ENERGY"

Have you read the patent? It is silly. The stinger if anything helps keep the tip from popping off by making it part of the ferrule. If you use his logic then you just need an uncapped ferrule and the tip glued to the end grain of the shaft to accomplish the same thing. Which I prefer by the way myself.

cheese_ball
03-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Thanks for your input Mr. Powers.... could you be any less discreet? This discussion board is for discussion, not blatant advertising.

Popcorn- you are, however, incorrect. The patent wouldn't apply to gluing the tip directly to the tenon, as the mechanical device that this patent has specifically applied for directly references the tenon coming off of the tip itself that attaches INSIDE the shafts tenon. Mechanically, the difference is astounding. You can't compare a tube of glue to a thumbtack!

Popcorn
03-16-2005, 11:44 AM
I am refering to it's intent.

cheese_ball
03-16-2005, 01:43 PM
I agree that the statement you quoted, "JERICO CUES PATENT CORRECTS THE PLAYERS ABILITY TO HIT SQUARE AND RELEASE OF ENERGY" is total BS. There's no doubt about that! This fixture DOES, however, TRANSFER (not release) more energy to the cueball than a standard tip ferrule combination. There is NO proof that this combination works any better, or more efficiently, than any other phenolic tip system. I do believe that it does play better than it's competition, though that is 100% opinionated!!!

Rod
03-16-2005, 03:47 PM
If your selling, I'm not buying. What a load, no cue does all this. Help a tiny bit maybe, but not correct. So the c/b goes a little faster, that's all ready been done.

The answer to break problems and other shots is in the players stroke, not in a magical tip and ferrule. BTW do you have bigger caps?

Rod

1westtexasboy
03-16-2005, 06:18 PM
WOULD IT BE TRUE THEN IF LARGER SWEET SPOT BECAUSE TIP DESIGN AND SHAPE ALLOWS FOR HIT MARGIN ON CUEBALL TO BE BIGGER ALLOWING YOU TO BE OFF 1/4 TIP AND STILL HAVE ENERGY GOING ACROSS THE CORE OF THE CUEBALL AND A STINGER GOING DOWN THE SHAFT WITH CERTAIN SIZE AND DEMENSION AND A GAP AREA TO RELEASE THE LOAD SO CUEBALL IS GONE BEFORE IT EFFECTS THE ACCURACY OR DIRECTION OF TRAVEL BY THE DEFLECTION OF THE SHAFT. THIS IS WAY THE PATENT WORKS.
YOU CAN ONLY MOVE THE CUEBALL BY SPEED OF CUE WHICH IT WILL NEVER TRAVEL FASTER THAT ENERGY IN TO ENERGY OUT
BUT MANAGE ENERGY IN TO ENERGY OUT IS WHAT MAKES THE THUMPER STINGER WITH THE NOTICABLE DIFERRENT FROM ALL THE PEOPLE ABOVE HAVE SUGGESTED. THIS IS JUST INFO IF YOU ARE INTO PHYSICS.

Popcorn
03-16-2005, 06:24 PM
I didn't see anything about that in the patent. It is a lot of reading though and I may have missed it. By the way, you have the incorrect patent number on your website. I was able to find it anyway. It looks to me like it is just a design to change tips quickly. Am I wrong?
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&amp;Sect2=HITOFF&amp;p=1&amp;u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&amp;r=5&amp;f=G&amp;l=50&amp;d=PALL&amp;S1=5462490&amp;OS=5462490&amp; RS=5462490

1westtexasboy
03-16-2005, 07:30 PM
PART NUMBER #40 ON PATENT DRAWING AND THE UPDATED WHERE ON
CUE IS INSTALL OPTION.PATENT OFFICE IS NOT VERY GOOD ON UPDATED INFO ADDITION CHANGES.
IT GOT 6 ADVANTAGES AWARD BY US PATENT OFFICE
ALSO THE REASON I WENT THIS WAY IS BECAUSE B C A HAS HAD SOME DISCUSSION THAT CUE MUST HAVE A FERRULE AND TIP BECASUE OF THE NUMBER MATERAILS THAT ARE BEING PUT ON CAUSING BALL DAMAGE AND TABLE DAMAGE THE MATERAIL I USE IS INJECTED FIBRE OF THE LEATHER FAMILY, WHICH IS A CONCERN OF CERTAIN GLASS BASE ONE PIECE AND PHENOLICS THAT CHIP ON EDGES BY THE B C A AND ROOM OWNERS. THANKS I WILL GET WEBMASTER CORRECT THE PATENT NUMBER MISTAKE.

1westtexasboy
03-16-2005, 09:05 PM
CUTTING READING TIME DOWN
THE PART 40 STEM DIVERTS ENERGY
THE GAP RELEASES PRESSURE BETWEEN STEM AND SHAFT
ACTUALLY I OWN THE GAP BELOW TIP INSIDE OF FERRULES SHAFTS ETC. YES I HAVE SEVERAL MAJOR VIOLATORS. PATENT BEEN IN PLACE SINCE 1995 MY PARTNER AND I OWN IT TO 2010 AND WE WILL RENUE AGAIN .
ALSO ONE ATVANTAGE FOR HOUSE CUE INDUSTRY WAS A QUICK CHANGE REPAIR SETUP ALSO. THIS ALLOW 4 TIMES MORE USE OF HOUSE CUES INSTEAD A $5.00 REPAIR EVERY OTHER MONTH FOR JUMP BREAK CUES INSTALLATION AS DESCRIBLE IN PREVIOUS POST
OF THE EFFECTS AND ADVANTAGES AND BY PRODUCT IS TIPS WANT POP OFF ON A PLAYING CUE HAS LESS DEFLECTION AS PATENT ATTORNEY SAID IT IS ALL COVERED PLUS SOME MORE ADVANCEMENTS. GRANTED THIS IS SEVERAL PAGES LONG AND 15000.00 TO GET WHICH IS STANDARD FEE FOR PATENTS WITH MULTIPLE APPLICATION.

Popcorn
03-16-2005, 10:18 PM
With all due respect, isn't this tip on your ferrule in this picture just a piece of phenolic rod? http://www.poolclinics.com/product_images/patented_tipferrule.html

1westtexasboy
03-17-2005, 06:50 AM
no you can scuff it, it hold chalk fibres turn up
you can jump draw jump follow and jump masse because of the materail that is in not phenolic but injected phenolic resin to hold material together.
thier are several phenolics solid glass base ploy base, extrude phenolic cast g series rod base you would think that delrin be phenolic but instead a poly base materail
all g 10 like g 10 pin used by a good cuemaker by all mertails are not phenolic thier base materails cotton base woven base the is extruded base fibre glass like boats use this is only a few materail that people call phenolic the is way more than what i have listed. all
thier are blends of many materails if phenolic was just phenolic then all jump breaks would be the same and all perform the same. what color is phenolic black green or brown. it is clear.

Popcorn
03-17-2005, 09:15 AM
Are you saying the tip in the picture is not just an off the shelf material? It doesn't appear to be something you have invented or have made just for you.

Rod
03-17-2005, 07:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1westtexasboy:</font><hr> BESIDES HIS WARRANITY IS THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS ANY PROBLEMS CALL HIM HE WILL HELP YOU. HE LIVES IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS. I HAVE SEEN A $3500.00 JUMP BREAK HE BUILT AWE <font color="blue"> </font color> SOME. HE HAS BEEN BUILDING CUES SINCE THE 1980'S ROAD PLAY FOR 10 YEARS. HE TEACHS POOL IN DALLAS TEXAS SOMEWHERE FOR YEARS. I SEE ON HIS SITE CUE TECH WITH SOME PRETTY GOOD PLAYERS HE HAS WORK WITH. www.jericocues.net (http://www.jericocues.net) <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1westtexasboy:</font><hr> PART NUMBER #40 ON PATENT DRAWING AND THE UPDATED WHERE ON
CUE IS INSTALL OPTION.PATENT OFFICE IS NOT VERY GOOD ON UPDATED INFO ADDITION CHANGES.
IT GOT 6 ADVANTAGES AWARD BY US PATENT OFFICE
ALSO THE REASON I WENT THIS WAY IS BECAUSE B C A HAS HAD SOME DISCUSSION THAT CUE MUST HAVE A FERRULE AND TIP BECASUE OF THE NUMBER MATERAILS THAT ARE BEING PUT ON CAUSING BALL DAMAGE AND TABLE DAMAGE THE MATERAIL I USE IS INJECTED FIBRE OF THE LEATHER FAMILY, WHICH IS A CONCERN OF CERTAIN GLASS BASE ONE PIECE AND PHENOLICS THAT CHIP ON EDGES BY THE B C A AND ROOM OWNERS. THANKS I WILL GET WEBMASTER CORRECT THE PATENT NUMBER MISTAKE. <hr /></blockquote>

I could add more but you seem to know a lot for someone that lives in his "neck of the woods". Then you tell me about physics etc, blah blah. If you make the cue fine, but what kind of real person puts up a fake front to sell cues? You tell me.

Rod

1westtexasboy
03-20-2005, 07:49 PM
YES IT IS MADE FOR ME.
BUT FOR I SEE IT YOU JUST WANT TO BE UGLY FOR NO APPARENT REASON YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED IN NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE
VINDICTIVE AND SPITE FULL SO I REFUSE TO POST ANYTHING TO HELP SOMEONE UNDERSTAND BECAUSE YOU JUST WANT TO BE CRITICAL AND WITH KNOW KNOWLEGDE OF WHAT. I AM SORRY IF TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE UNDERSTAND BY ANSWERING THREADS INFO CAUSES THIS MUCH PROBLEM FOR YOU. GOOD BYE YOUR POST WILL FALL ON DEAF SCREEN I WILL NOT EVER VIEW THIS B S AGAIN.

Popcorn
03-20-2005, 09:10 PM
You come on here lying and pretending to be someone else then when you are asked a few questions you take offense. I met you at the BCA show and have seen your act in person. Built any $50,000 cues lately? You know, It's a small world and not everyone you speak to is a rube even though you may think so. On here you lost any credibility with your first phony post. Enough said, have a nice day.

Cane
03-21-2005, 10:14 AM
I usually just drop completely out of a thread when it starts getting personal, but not this time. Maybe because I consider Jerry to be a great cuemaker (I own three of his cues, with another one on the way), and maybe partly because I see a lot of the same things going on in the cuemakers world that I do in the bamboo rodmakers world. See, I'm not a professional player, the most I've ever done with a cue is put a new ferrule on it, but I'm a professional rodmaker and I'm one of the best in the world. I have concepts and ideas that were never even thought of by the amateur rodmakers out there... for that, I get slammed by the part-timers, whose methods of making rods is mostly based on copying other rodmakers proprietery work (tapers, tools, design, etc) and whose methods are much akin to doing brain surgery with a butter knife. I do see a lot of the same thing going on at CCB. I've even seen blatant critcizm of professional cuemakers methodology by those whose closest brush with making a cue is "Well, I own a LOT of cues, so I know better than the rest of the world". Or "Better listen to me, cause I've made probably 30 cues in my great career, so I know better than those who've been in the business for a decade or more".

As for the Jerico Jump Break, the tip design is proprietery. It is patented. It has been copied by more than one butterknifer out there and claimed as their own. As for one of them, probably the MOST popular, who claims that his JB's are CUSTOM made, I have a jpeg on my computer of one that was shipped where they forgot to take the "Made In China" sticker off of it. Jerico cues are made in the USA. That may not be important to many, but to me it is. I'm fortunate enough to be retired, but I see many of my friends losing their jobs to off shore outsourcing, and to me, buying a cue that was made in another country, at near slave labor wages, is an insult to ANY of our American cuemakers. That being said, if I lived in Japan, I'd probably buy a cue made by a Japanese maker... Now, there is nothing illegal about saying "My Custom Cues" and having them made by a punch out factory in another country, but talk about rubes... anyone who believes custom and buys a foriegn outsourced cue would fit that, don't you think?

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, there's one other thing that's been bothering me. When I first joined this board, I was challenged by a few board members, because one of my posts gave my high opinion of a product. I was accused of spamming and in a PM was accused of being the maker of that product. Honestly, I wished for awhile that I'd never joined this board. Until I went back through the archives and read several of the threads and discovered that MOST of the people on this board were good people, I thought, "Damn, I've jumped in a closed community where any opinion, not that of the self appointed board gurus is neither wanted nor welcomed". I've since discovered that I was wrong. This is just like any other board, where you have 95% of the posters that are sincerely nice people, wanting to learn or wanting to share their knowledge, and 5% who can't learn, because they're so set in their concepts and opinions that nothing short of a miracle could convince them otherwise. I've found the same thing in my other world, the rodmaking world. Fortunately, both there and here, I've learned whose opinions are valid and whose are not worth the effort to page down past them.

Now, I'm sure I've offended a couple of those people, but I don't particularly feel apologetic towards them. Those few have literally ran off people that came on this board to learn and to express their opinions. Unfortuanately, their opinions did not lie in line with those of the Gurus, so they were either embarrassed or humiliated into leaving the board. That of course, is the way it should be... that way, the opinions of those who think their opinions are the only valid ones, remain in tact, and their Guru status is protected.

Back to Jerico and Jerry Powers for a moment... I don't know anything about a $50,000 Jerico cue, but I do know something about a $15,000 cue that I would buy in a heartbeat if my limited income could bear it. It looks great, and it plays even better than it looks. Until I see a "Guru Cue" of this quality and appearance hit the table, I'll pay little more attention to the Guru Opinion of Jerico Cues or Jerry Powers for that matter. Sorry, but I just get a little tired of the GURUS looking out the door in Alaska (not picking on Alaska) and proclaiming that it's dark all over the world, as it must be because THAT IS WHAT THEY SEE and, of course, what they see is the only view that is important or valid!!!

One last thing. I do not mean to confront or challenge any of the "professional" cuemakers on this board. I have seen with my own eyes the work of some of the pros that visit CCB and I have not been disappointed in either craftsmanship, quality or playability in ANY of the cues made by the qualified makers that lurk here. More power to you guys, just be careful not to say try to explain anything technical about your own work in front of the Gurus, lest they damn you to eternal shame and utmost ignorance, in which case you might have to leave CCB so their territory can be proclaimed as safe...

Have a great day,
Bob

Popcorn
03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
What do you think about his first phony post pretending to be a customer touting his own cues? The $50,000 thing I won't even go into what a joke. By the way, people were saying nice things here when he decided to pull his scam with his fake post, what was that all about? It just gives you some insight.

Keith Talent
03-21-2005, 02:57 PM
I think it's a shame to run somebody off like this, especially after he made a sincere effort, I believe, to explain how his cue is designed.

It's a lot easier to scoff than to come up with a novel way of doing something. And as for misrepresenting his ID, well, that's just a half step beyond what most folks do here, hiding behind a screen name, taking care not to divulge who they really are. Sure, it wasn't too slick, but getting all worked up about that? Lot of people living in glass houses around here.

I ordered a Jerico before this crazy firefight started, in fact, and got it Thursday. Busts them up pretty good.

Popcorn
03-21-2005, 03:10 PM
I think pretending to be a satisfied customer of your own product is a little different then posting about pool shots and "What is the rule if this happens" with a screen name. I think it is highly inappropriate as well as unprofessional. I would like to think if someone tells me their opinion about a product it is because they really like the product, not because they make it and are trying to sell something. It puts the rest of what they say as suspect. Beyond that, there is no need to discuss this any further.

Keith Talent
03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
OK, Popcorn, more than a half-step, sure. Still, I thought he tried to come clean ... in fact, he said more about the process of making his cues than I'd think I'd be willing to divulge if it were my biz.

And in the interest of partial disclosure, of course, my handle's a screen name, if there were any doubts. Also, I could be largely blamed for this scrap, because, while asking Jerry what the difference was between his Thumper and Stinger, I tipped him off that he had some backers on the CCB, in this thread. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

littleCajun
03-22-2005, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I think pretending to be a satisfied customer of your own product is a little different then posting about pool shots and "What is the rule if this happens" with a screen name. <hr /></blockquote>

Hello Popcorn,

You are truly mistaken about me. I am not Jerry Powers. So let me introduce myself. My name is Jimmy LeJeune and I am a BCA Instructor, I do teach at cue-tech from time to time with RandyG. You can ask SPetty, Cane, or RandyG about me.

I would like to clear up that I do know Jerry Powers and I do think he makes a great cue. He really stands behind his work. If you have an issue with one of his cues just send it back to him and he will correct it. Anyway I am not a salesperson for Jerry.

This thread started because I just received a Sledgehammer break cue and just wanted to post MY opion about the Sledgehammer vs. Jerico Thumper and thats all.

My other posts about pool shots was just an attempt to start some discussion here on the board, since it had seem to be a little slow lately. The questions I posted where filled with controversy and mistakes on purpose just to start some discussions and thats all.

This is a great board and I love to hear all the different Ideas from people. As an Instructor I am always searching for new information. Looking for those little hidden gems you might say.

Again littleCajun is not Jerry Powers, I am sorry that you thought I was. I hope to see you around on the boards. And if you go to the BCA nationals and want to meet I would be more that glad to do so.

Jimmy LeJeune

Popcorn
03-22-2005, 12:03 PM
No, No, No,It was his first post as 1westtexasboy. Not yours. He pretended to be someone else. Read it, it's funny.

caedos
03-22-2005, 03:50 PM
"1westtexasboy
stranger

Reged: 03/11/05

Re: Sledgehammer Vs. Jerico Thumper [re: Rod]
03/16/05 02:06 AM (66.82.9.60) Edit Reply Quote

THE HIGHER THE SPEED THE MORE PRECISE THE HIT SQUARE ON THE ONE BALL JUST A LITTLE OFF VERTICAL AXES YOU LOSE ENERGY TRANSFER. WHAT HAPPENS TO MOST CUES PEOPLE BREAK WITH IS THE LOSS OF COMPRESSION OF THE TIP LOSING 3 TO 4 MPH AND DISTURBING THE PATH OF CUEBALL ON RELEASE CAUSING A MISS HIT SQUARE ON THE ONE BALL IN A RESULT OF 3 OR 4 MORE MPH LOST NOW YOU ARE AT 6 TO 7 MPH LOST 20 MPH TURNS TO ONLY 13 MPH BREAK. THE THUMPER STINGER AND STARGATE SERIES FROM JERICO CUES PATENT CORRECTS THE PLAYERS ABILITY TO HIT SQUARE AND RELEASE OF ENERGY PROBLEMS BESIDES HIS WARRANITY IS THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS ANY PROBLEMS CALL HIM HE WILL HELP YOU. HE LIVES IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS. I HAVE SEEN A $3500.00 JUMP BREAK HE BUILT AWE SOME. HE HAS BEEN BUILDING CUES SINCE THE 1980'S ROAD PLAY FOR 10 YEARS. HE TEACHS POOL IN DALLAS TEXAS SOMEWHERE FOR YEARS. I SEE ON HIS SITE CUE TECH WITH SOME PRETTY GOOD PLAYERS HE HAS WORK WITH. www.jericocues.net (http://www.jericocues.net) "

Post Extras:
Wow! I should really read the board more often! I get back from vacation and upgrade training and there is all kinds of good stuff being stirred up! Popcorn, you may not remember any of my sub-100 posts on this board to know me from dirt. I have always thought well of your posts in general, and I understand your a bit more volatile than many. You appear to have nothing but the best intentions for this board, so I have a favor to ask of you if I may. Cut Jerry Powers some slack, even if everyone involved at this point is riled up. Please. I included his first post in this thread. It's not funny as you suggest. If I were to say Carl lives in my neck of the woods, that's the truth since I'm Carl and I can't get away from him /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've read the thread fairly well. Having spoken with Jerry, he did not mean to state in his threads in any way that he was not who he was. He also didn't wish to offend the CCB'ers by advertising himself, as he is a very unknown cue builder outside of the died-in-the-wool pool community. 1Westtexasboy is Jerry Powers. Period.

Rod. Are you still there, Rod? What is this "fake front" I see written here? Being discrete is not necessarily rude unless there is intent to deceive. It appears the more he tried to answer questions, the deeper he dug himself into a hole, however unintentional. I'm sure he'll be happy to go from using "he" to "I" in his wording, and apologize if that makes you happy... that from his mouth to my ear. Please also keep in mind he is also dyslexic with ADD and isn't the most computer or linguistically savvy individual and readily admits it. He just happens be a genius with visual spatial activity and cue building. I agree the internet makes it easy to deceive and be mean with little risk of punishment. Jerry is not that way, and I'm sorry if that is your perception of him for whatever reason. He just wanted to maintain the anonymity he has come to enjoy by selling on referrals and not a huge marketing machine.

He has many supporters on this board, so please explain what you are accusing him of where all of us can see. He's not on the board much but I'm sure he'll make time for you. He told me he was simply trying to explain his work to all of you, of which he has a right to be proud. They are the best cues I've ever played with, and his cues that he produces in higher volume for sub-$500 hit every bit as good as my custom $3000 plus cue. Please don't make him sorry for having tried to share with you something he took a great deal of time and effort to craft. I didn't see an ad anywhere that said "buy Jerico, they'll make you play better!". Other cue references appear to be simply answering or explaining something that was discussed in this thread or on the board at large. Many of us are looking forward to your reply in the hopes it is a simple misunderstanding.

He has also been one of my mentors in teaching, playing, and minor cue repairs for the last four years. I would hope this thread stops before the end of the year. If it keeps going this way, he'll be burned in effigy at NY Times Square to bring in 2006.

And to answer the original post: I've played and jumped with both the Sledgehammer and the Jerico (Thumper, Whip, Stinger, Stargate, and some customs). As long as they have the same crown on the tip (mostly flat)I like Jerry's slightly better. When the tip is more rounded (close to a nickel) they are about the same to me. With either one I can jump at least a full ball in height from one ball away. With the Jerico I have at times (still learning) been able to get over a full ball from about 1/2 to 3/4 of a ball away. Buy whatever makes you happy.

I've posted something like what follows before, but here it is because it seems fitting. Most of us can play with any cue we want, and we choose the best we can afford. Here are the instructors that choose to play with Jerico (and we only get the same discount as students that come through Cue Tech, excepting maybe Randy G and of course Jerry): Myself, Jimmy LeJeune (lilCajun), Bill Suden, Leslie C.B. Rogers (aka 'Doc'), Leslie Anne Rogers (semi-pro player), Jason Butler, Tom Payne, Mark Lachecki, Bob Nunley (Caneman), Larry Rothberg, Randy G, Randy Whitehead (pro), Jerry (of Course), and Tom Simpson (uses the jump-break). The players are too many to mention, and some of them have some visibility.

Carl

Scott Lee
03-23-2005, 10:12 AM
tap, tap, tap! Good post, Carl...

Scott Lee

caedos
03-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Hi Scott! I forgot to thank you properly. Thank you very much for the video of our instructors session at Cue Tech a few months ago. Your methodology and personality were great to be around, and being able to review and add some things to my teaching repertoire is a very good thing. You'll be happy to know my percentage on the 'Passing Lane' shot has gone way up. Thanks again!

Carl