PDA

View Full Version : 8' Table recommendations

Pjmck
03-09-2005, 11:23 AM
I am looking to purchase an 8ft table for my finished basement.
I currently have a 7ft basic Brunswick (Bristol II) which I paid about $900 new about 11 years ago. I like the table but I am looking to go to a larger size (room allows) and I want something that makes the room standout.
What are the thoughts between an 8ft Brunswick (Sorrento) at about $4800 or a Olhausen (Augusta) at $2900. The price difference is what stands out but I am getting conflicting information from dealer. Brunswick assembles parts after sub-contracting some woodwork out and uses fancy veneers and uses a certain slate while Olhausen is solid wood throughout and uses a better slate than Brunswick at a better price. The bottom line is ... Would I be spending $2000 more just for the Brunswick name or is Olhausen comparable?? I have never played on an olhausen so I am clueless....any insight would be appreciated!

Bob_Jewett
03-09-2005, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pjmck:</font><hr>... Would I be spending $2000 more just for the Brunswick name or is Olhausen comparable?? I have never played on an olhausen so I am clueless....any insight would be appreciated! <hr /></blockquote>
Given that choice, I'd get the Olhausen. The second question is which retailer will stand behind the product if/when things go wrong, but this depends on the local retailer.

table_tech
03-09-2005, 08:34 PM
two of the best names in the industry,both offer high end and low end tables,take your time and buy what you can afford and wont mind looking at for some time to come,make sure you watch and ask a few questions when they are installing your table (but dont be a pain in the butt or coach them thru it)so if ever you have to dissamble it or re-level it u can. if your buying a brunswick or an olhausen then your only concern now should be the installation.

Troy
03-09-2005, 09:12 PM
Either way, the local dealer should include installation with a follow-up as part of the total package to verify level after everything settles.

Troy

FastJoey
03-09-2005, 10:40 PM
i purchased a new 9 foot Olhausen Augusta about 2 months ago from a local dealer.it comes standard with Accu-fast cushions which play great.... i paid extra for Simonis 860..it is a solid wood table very durable not veneer...this is important ..if you scratch veneer there is no fixing it without major work..Olhausen has a lifetime warranty on the table..you can read about it on their website...the pockets are great .i am pleased with everything about the table..good luck and let us know what you decide.......

JimS
03-10-2005, 05:01 AM
I'd get a Diamond.

Pjmck
03-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Bob,

Thanks for your reply...I'm leaning for the Olhausen...I read soemwhere on here that some olhausen had problems with balls spinning back out of the pocket? Have you ever heard such a thing? Thanks again!

Pjmck
03-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the insight. I will make sure of good installation.
I had the same retailer reinstall my Brunswick 8 years ago and everything was fine so I am confident that they will do a good job!

Pjmck
03-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks for your feedback on your new olhausen...nothing like a happy customer......did you read anything about the balls spitting back out of the pockets on some olhausen? It was way back in this forum but it gave me some reservation...although the above posters have made the point about a good installation with a good quality table (Brun/olhausen) will avoid any problems.

PQQLK9
03-10-2005, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pjmck:</font><hr> Thanks for your feedback on your new olhausen...nothing like a happy customer......did you read anything about the balls spitting back out of the pockets on some olhausen? It was way back in this forum but it gave me some reservation...although the above posters have made the point about a good installation with a good quality table (Brun/olhausen) will avoid any problems. <hr /></blockquote>

They don't spit out on mine. (course I don't get too many in /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Bob_Jewett
03-10-2005, 01:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pjmck:</font><hr>...I read soemwhere on here that some olhausen had problems with balls spinning back out of the pocket? Have you ever heard such a thing? Thanks again! <hr /></blockquote>
Many brands of tables have problems with the balls coming back out of the pockets. I think it depends on the model, how the pockets were installed, the balls, and how hard you hit the shot. If the table has the problem, the installer may be unable to fix it. I've seen several models of Brunswicks with the problem, but of course that doesn't necessarily mean that Olhausens don't have the problem.

One solution is the "bounce pocket" rule. If you call "bounce pocket," your opponent is responsible for catching any ball that jumps unfairly from the pocket and returning it to the pocket. You can also use this rule when both of you are too lazy to walk over to a full drop pocket to remove some balls.

FastJoey
03-10-2005, 06:24 PM
i did alot of research before buying my Olhausen ..i never heard of a problem with dropped balls out of pockets on an Olhausen ..i have the leather drop pockets..i have seen a problem with other tables in rare instances spitting out a ball in the back of maybe one of the pockets..this was/is caused by improper installation or a nail or staple that was used to fix the pocket to the table coming loose or popping out..again an installation problem ..i have fixed a few of these simply by nailing or stapling the leather back to the table better..an easy fix....go to you pool table dealer ansd shoot a few shots...just remember alot of dealers may not set up every table in their store with slate ..it may have just pressboard and clothed over..this is so they can move them around easier....