PDA

View Full Version : Cute cnc machine?

Cueless Joey
03-09-2005, 12:09 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=12584&item=3880398 671&rd=1

LARRY_BOY
03-09-2005, 12:31 PM
From the pic's it looks like he has a lot of tooling that goes with it. This probably would need a 4TH axis if you are thinking about making cues on it.....just my .02.

highsea
03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
Very clunky. Stepper motors suck. "Automatic tool changer" is nothing but a power drawbar. Ballscrews??? Doesn't say..The NT spindle is nice, way better than R8, but that's the only thing I like about this machine.

Worst of all is the control. Everything runs through the PC, cycle start/stop, overrides, DRO, etc. The E-stop is the "engage/disengage" switch on the drive box. When I run a machine, I want my hands on the machine, not a mouse. Change a tool, walk over to the desk and click the mouse. Break a cutter, run over to the desk...or put the PC next to the machine and see how long it holds up.

How many windows computers run perfectly enough to control the machine in real time? Windows hiccups and you get to watch the machine or part self destruct while you are frantically clicking the mouse.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

He would have been better off leaving the bandit control on.

But the baby was cute, as babies go...

wolfdancer
03-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Aw, c'mon Casey.....the baby was real cute!!!!!

highsea
03-09-2005, 03:17 PM
You're a soft touch Jack. I like babies fine, from a distance... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Cueless Joey
03-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Thnx Case.
The baby's adorable though.

Barbara
03-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Hi C,

Welcome back. Miss your posts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

LARRY_BOY
03-10-2005, 04:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> Very clunky. Stepper motors suck. "Automatic tool changer" is nothing but a power drawbar. Ballscrews??? Doesn't say..The NT spindle is nice, way better than R8, but that's the only thing I like about this machine.

Worst of all is the control. Everything runs through the PC, cycle start/stop, overrides, DRO, etc. The E-stop is the "engage/disengage" switch on the drive box. When I run a machine, I want my hands on the machine, not a mouse. Change a tool, walk over to the desk and click the mouse. Break a cutter, run over to the desk...or put the PC next to the machine and see how long it holds up.

How many windows computers run perfectly enough to control the machine in real time? Windows hiccups and you get to watch the machine or part self destruct while you are frantically clicking the mouse.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

He would have been better off leaving the bandit control on.

But the baby was cute, as babies go... <hr /></blockquote>

You sound like you have run outdated in the past. Are you a machinist by tade?

eg8r
03-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Here is a pic of my "CNC" machine (taken about 2 months ago)....

http://www.trailersplusinc.com/haleigh/images/4_Months/Daddy's_BDay_girl.jpg

eg8r

highsea
03-10-2005, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr>You sound like you have run outdated in the past. Are you a machinist by tade? <hr /></blockquote>I spent about 15 years in aerospace, and ran a shop for about half of that time. I've pretty much run every machine you are likely to see in a machine shop, from Radial Drills to Wilsons and everything in between. First started programming in 1982, lathes and mills, multi-spindle/multi-axis, etc.

What I don't like about these type of retrofits is that they just aren't practical to run. Using a PC as a controller is just a crash waiting to happen. And trust me, it will happen. The Bandits were hard to work with, but they were there. The machine in the auction had all the handwheels removed so the motors could be fit. Can you imagine moving the table around with the PC? No manual control? Hell, even something as simple as picking up a zero would be a major PITA. NC machines need manual overrides, jog buttons, MDI modes, and the ability to easily position the machine (XYZ/AB handwheel) for picking up locations, tool offsets, etc.

Poorly laid out controls--Some years back, there was a shop in Shelton (I won't mention the name) that had some Wilson retrofits with Allen-Bradley controls and tape readers. The machinist was very experienced with profilers, but unused to NC. When the tape hiccupped, he was frantically reaching for the stylus as the spindles dove into the fixtures. The machine tore off 5 of it's six spindles. Scrapped 6 parts, the fixtures, and the machine. On a CNC machine, there's no substitute for that big red button. When things start happening, they happen fast.

Barbara- thanks for the kind words, just passin' through ma'am. (tips my cap)

-CM

highsea
03-10-2005, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Here is a pic of my "CNC" machine (taken about 2 months ago)....eg8r<hr /></blockquote>
CNC= cute new conservative. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

loofnicnad
03-11-2005, 12:05 PM
$12,000 (buy it now price) for a converted Bridgeport /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I don't think so /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Not even with the used tooling.