PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Dave's got some great info.

christopheradams
03-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Dr. Dave's Website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/)
I knew about Dr. Daves website for awhile now and casually checked it out a while ago and a little here and there but since I've been sick and had some free time, I really gave it a good look. Great resource of information. One of the only insructional videos where you actually get get a close up view of the grip from the side and from the back. The demonstrations of the Tangent line and how draw and follow cause deviations in the tangent line to play position are the core of position play in pool and love how they are demonstrated so clearly. Still plowing through all the videos now. And since I'm too drained from sickness to practice my normal daily 3 1/2 hour+ pool regimen, at least I can grow my pool mind. Definately recommend his Website to anyone who wants to learn the game.

Also watching lots of pool matches to pass the time. Sure wish I could go run some balls though /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PQQLK9
03-10-2005, 07:43 AM
I agree,Dr. Dave posts some really good stuff. Oh,I hope you get well soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

christopheradams
03-10-2005, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> I agree,Dr. Dave posts some really good stuff. Oh,I hope you get well soon. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks, I hope so too. Another night off from work tonight. And least the fact that I don't have to go to work and that I get to brush up on pool info makes up for the fact that I can't breath through my nose or get more than a few hours of sleep /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

sunsetnkc
03-10-2005, 09:14 AM
If you think the website is good, you really need to get the book. It is great and helps to understand everything about the videos as each is referenced in the book.

SpiderMan
03-10-2005, 10:45 AM
I agree, it's a great website. Some of us have offered criticism (some more than others), but scientists and engineers should be conditioned to accept questioning and improve their results. Certainly none of the critics (or anyone else I know of) has undertaken anything of his magnitude. He's doing a great service with his video documentation.

SpiderMan

bluey2king
03-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I agree also! I got to meet Dr. Dave at a Reading fair at the Mile High last fall. He is a very engauging fellow and like a lot of us addictated to pool. I love the High Speed clips!! See the leather tips deform the cloud of chalk. Good reason to chalk every shot, I alwasy thought the chalk rubbed off only at the spot of contact. I like his approach as scientist and not myth. Its physics!

Dr Dave if you read this ..Thank You!
Maybe you could tell us about your camera. I am not going to buy one just curious.

dr_dave
03-11-2005, 03:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr>I agree also! I got to meet Dr. Dave at a Reading fair at the Mile High last fall. He is a very engauging fellow and like a lot of us addictated to pool.<hr /></blockquote>
I remember you stopping by my booth. Sorry, I don't remember your name. I also enjoyed talking to you. Thanks for the nice words.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluey2king:</font><hr>I love the High Speed clips!! See the leather tips deform the cloud of chalk. Good reason to chalk every shot, I alwasy thought the chalk rubbed off only at the spot of contact. I like his approach as scientist and not myth. Its physics!

Dr Dave if you read this ..Thank You!
Maybe you could tell us about your camera. I am not going to buy one just curious.<hr /></blockquote>
You're welcome. If you are curious about the camera I use and how I produce the clips, click on the following links to previous messages: high-speed camera (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=176920&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) and production methods (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=176909&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;vc=1).

Regards,
Dr. Dave

dr_dave
03-11-2005, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I agree, it's a great website. Some of us have offered criticism (some more than others), but scientists and engineers should be conditioned to accept questioning and improve their results. Certainly none of the critics (or anyone else I know of) has undertaken anything of his magnitude. He's doing a great service with his video documentation.<hr /></blockquote>
SpiderMan,

Thank you for your supportive words. I also appreciate your contributions to this forum. I have found many of your postings insightful and well informed.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave
03-11-2005, 03:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sunsetnkc:</font><hr> If you think the website is good, you really need to get the book. It is great and helps to understand everything about the videos as each is referenced in the book. <hr /></blockquote>
Thank you so much for posting this message. It sounds a lot better coming from someone other than myself. Some people, especially my most vocal critics, have sometimes taken my clips out of context. The main purpose of the website (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/) is to support the book. Without the book, the intent for some clips may be unclear.

Dr. Dave

FastJoey
03-11-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks Dave keep up the great work .......