PDA

View Full Version : immonen runs nine

06-01-2002, 06:43 PM
wins lag, breaks, runs out set, race to nine, today at pro billiards, orlando fl.

cuechick
06-01-2002, 08:57 PM
Wow!! Way to go Mika!
if any one was still wondering how he won the World Championships, now they know!!!

cheesemouse
06-01-2002, 09:03 PM
Anon,
I believe he was down 0-4 when he ran the nine.

HarryDC
06-02-2002, 03:58 PM
Cheese,

Mika was down 0-4. He got right of the chair and ran 9 racks to win. Mika also beat Strickland 9 t0 8 for the hot seat and is waiting to play either Strickland, Herriman, or Archer from the one lose side for the Championship.

HarryDC

06-02-2002, 04:44 PM
A lot of people can run 9 racks of 9ball if they get ball in hand on the first shot and dont have to make a ball on the break.
You just need to get lucky to get a ball in the break 9 times in a row plus a high percentage shot on the first ball.
This is why it happens so litle and why it seems such an achievement.
But realy its just about getting lucky breaks...

jjinfla
06-02-2002, 05:26 PM
Mika was playing Richard Broumpton and was down 4 zip when he ran the 9 racks to win. Then in his next match with Scotty Townsend he won the lag and ran the first three racks. On the 4th rack he made a couple balls but the cue ball followed one of them in the corner pocket after caroming off another ball. Gee, if he just had a little luck and didn't scratch, he would have run that rack too. LOL Mika sure does play a nice game. Jake

06-02-2002, 05:30 PM
All i was saying is that even if you play much better then anyone else you wont run 9racks.
It obviously will happen someday ofcource, but it realy isnt up to you, its up to the breaks you get.

06-02-2002, 06:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Malcolm:</font><hr> All i was saying is that even if you play much better then anyone else you wont run 9racks.
It obviously will happen someday ofcource, but it realy isnt up to you, its up to the breaks you get. <hr></blockquote>

But, Mika plays much better than nearly everyone else and he just ran 9 racks. Opps, I apologize for making a mistake. He ran 12 racks before scratching. Jeez, some guys have all the luck!

Steve

Patrick
06-03-2002, 04:36 AM
When I was a bad player I ran 18 racks, now when I am a better player I haven't ran over 5 in a long time. It is all luck.
It is not the amount racks made that is amazing, it is how you run those racks. If you run a rack with a lot clusters and need position on the millimeter, it is more amazing to run out that single rack than running out hundreds of easy racks.

Patrick

cheesemouse
06-03-2002, 05:00 AM
Patrick,
How many can you run one fingered with your mouse jacked-up in the air with no pad touching?
I don't think you understand the human concept of luck. You get lucky just driving to the pool hall, it can't be avoided. Don't discount luck it is a given on this planet. Even bugs get lucky. Hell, you got lucky when your father got drunk and forgot to use his deflector sheild protection. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-03-2002, 05:21 AM
Nice to see someone understands this.
But i dont think patrick considers that last one luck, its more like bad luck.

06-03-2002, 08:14 AM
There is an element of what is called luck involved in pool as in most things. Skill, though, replaces luck in part but never completely. Thus, I'm no threat to run 9 straight racks. Mika Immonen is a threat everytime he steps to the table. The difference is attributable to skill differences, not luckiness differences.

Mika may run 23 straight racks at his next tournament. I've seen him play and he is certainly able to shoot that well. There will be luck involved in such a feat but he's a great shotmaker. I, on the other hand, might run 23 racks over the remainder of my life -- if I'm lucky. Others never run racks.

Steve

06-03-2002, 08:17 AM
Mika is terrible. I was playing him half speed and drilled him in rotation. I ran 17 racks and out in a race to 18

/ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-03-2002, 08:28 AM
Ofcource i understand what you are saying.
I think he probably runs out 95 percent of the time or even more.
But i think he will need to be very lucky to get a ball in the break and possition 23times in a row...

Luck is when something goes right that could have gone wrong...
Simple example: when you got a margin of error on a certin shot that is wider then what the pocket will accept it is luck when it goes in, since you could have missed it.
Only shots where all goals you go for are within your limits are without luck.

Actualy you always need to be lucky not to get a kick, but this is different.

cuechick
06-03-2002, 08:38 AM
Hey J,

Exactly what drugs are you on and where can I get some?

cuechick
06-03-2002, 08:54 AM
Well, though there is a small amount of luck to anything, there is also a huge amount of SKILL involved in the break. Malcom seems to imply that it is ALL luck. Any player on that level is not relying on his rabbit foot to get through a match. If it was only about making a ball on the break you would see a lot more racks strung together... but pros have scewed up tables, play safe even, miss on occasion. And making that ball with position is where the skill comes in, IMO.

Yes at their level the break is esstential like the serve is in tennis. This is why I loved the BCA format of alternating breaks, it added another edge, another element to the game. It was so important to "hold your break" like holding serve in tennis. One pro-player pointed out that pool is the only sport where you could be in a match and not even get a chance to actually play....!

Every player I talked to about the format liked it. It definatley levels the field a bit. As much as I'd love to see some one run 9 tables, I think the alternating format is far more interesting and really good for the sport overall!

06-03-2002, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuechick:</font><hr> Well, though there is a small amount of luck to anything, there is also a huge amount of SKILL involved in the break. Malcom seems to imply that it is ALL luck. Any player on that level is not relying on his rabbit foot to get through a match. If it was only about making a ball on the break you would see a lot more racks strung together... but pros have scewed up tables, play safe even, miss on occasion. And making that ball with position is where the skill comes in, IMO.

Yes at their level the break is esstential like the serve is in tennis. This is why I loved the BCA format of alternating breaks, it added another edge, another element to the game. It was so important to "hold your break" like holding serve in tennis. One pro-player pointed out that pool is the only sport where you could be in a match and not even get a chance to actually play....!

Every player I talked to about the format liked it. It definatley levels the field a bit. As much as I'd love to see some one run 9 tables, I think the alternating format is far more interesting and really good for the sport overall! <hr></blockquote>

You are trying to tell me wrong about something you obviously misunderstood me about.
Im not saying it is all luck.
Most of the shots that the pros play are within there margin of error so it is 100%, absolutely no luck.
And tougher shots or more difficult possition might not be within there limit but they will have a much higher percentage of making them go right then a lesser skilled player.

Dont think i think about this so simple.
I know players can miss things that they normaly dont miss ( the 100% shots )
But this might be because they are nervous wich makes there stroke less accurate.
Or there stroke might not be warmed up and they might have some wrong muscle memory wich will make them completely miss the shot.
Or they might even just have lost concentration.

Nostroke
06-03-2002, 09:17 AM
I saw that match!! I'm surprised you could concentrate with Mika wanting to talk all the time. I mean just talk, talk talk- about dinosaurs, bricks, feathers-anything- You just cant a word in edgewise with that guy!

06-03-2002, 09:19 AM
I didnt see you where talking about the break.
When softbreaking, making the 1ball might be a high percentage shot but getting possition is almost completely up to luck.
Almost, because they do try to control the cueball but the other balls are out of control so wether one of them hits the cueball or not is up to luck, and where the 2ball goes is also up to luck.
On the hard break they will again have a higher percentage then someone with a bad break but all they can do is hit the 1ball as good as they can and control the cueball in the midle of the table, where the other balls go and if one of them goes in is up to luck.
So yes a higher percentage because of skill but far away from 100.

06-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Not that i realy care about this but im just curious.
Why does everybody write malcom instead of malcolm?
I think the name is from america?
And im sure its not only my name that is malcolm but it is the standard way it is written, just look at the end of movies.

06-03-2002, 11:28 AM
No..this really happened.. I swear. I ran 17 racks of rotation against Mika.... They took away my peyote and I couldn't make a ball!

06-03-2002, 02:54 PM
For the same reason people type me in as 'Lorry' (I'm not a truck) 'Lorrie', 'Laurie', and 'Lori'. The name is unusual, they missed a keystroke, they misremembered the spelling, etc. etc. It's not a personal thing Malcolm. Just go with it.

06-03-2002, 02:57 PM
ok :-) well doesnt realy mather, just tought it was weird.