PDA

View Full Version : so i think my 314 is killing my game....

SteveFromNY
03-10-2005, 08:19 PM
not that it's useless, but that I believe it's gotten old. It just doesn't shoot as it has in the past. Furthermore, to this day, I haven't fully convinced myself whether I've just gotten used to it, or if it actually does its job. Before I shell out $200 for a new 314, should I give other shafts consideration? It goes on a production Viking btw.

lord_shar
03-10-2005, 08:30 PM
If you can, try a Z-shaft. I have both 314 and Z, and the latter definitely shoots more accurately, has a stiffer + more precise hit, deflects less, and really cranks your english. The euro-taper was a little odd at first, but it didn't take long for me to adjust. That 11.75mm tip makes frozen rail shots much less prone to miscues.

Cueless Joey
03-10-2005, 08:34 PM
How's your speed control with it?
Some people just cannot get used to that hollowed-soft ferrule hit.

lord_shar
03-10-2005, 08:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> How's your speed control with it?
Some people just cannot get used to that hollowed-soft ferrule hit. <hr /></blockquote>

If your question was aimed my way, then regarding the 2 Predator shafts: The Z shaft doesn't have that pronounced "hollow" hit (at least, not that I can feel). I know the cavity is still behind the Z's ferrule, but it feels much more solid than the 314.

pooltchr
03-11-2005, 05:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> It just doesn't shoot as it has in the past. <hr /></blockquote>

I doubt if the shaft has changed "how it shoots". The shaft is just a tool. Perhaps how you use it has changed.
Steve

jjinfla
03-11-2005, 06:30 AM
Did you put a Moori tip on the 314?

Keep in mind, it is just a tool. And like any tool, it is only as good as the person using it.

But as long as you keep convincing yourself that it is no good then you will fall into the old self fullfilling prophecy.

Funny, but I find that the more I practice, the more I study, the better my 314 gets. But I am getting the itch to have the local cue maker make a cue for me. Most likely he will do it for less than I paid for my 314. And I just bought a Southwest 393 94 that I am tempted to use but supposedly it has never struck a ball.

Jake

SpiderMan
03-11-2005, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SteveFromNY:</font><hr> not that it's useless, but that I believe it's gotten old. It just doesn't shoot as it has in the past. Furthermore, to this day, I haven't fully convinced myself whether I've just gotten used to it, or if it actually does its job. Before I shell out $200 for a new 314, should I give other shafts consideration? It goes on a production Viking btw. <hr /></blockquote>

If you're equipment-sensitive, you can probably figure out if it has changed in characteristics by testing side-by-side with someone else's shaft (on your cue!) I'd expect two of these production-line shafts to feel pretty similiar if attached to the same butt.

Could you have a dead tip? If it's a layered tip, get someone to check under a microscope to see if any of the layers have broken down. Some layered tips (Talisman/Hercules/Adam) need to be checked frequently.

On the other hand, maybe the "new" has just worn off. Some players, such as Sid V, benefit from switching gear now and then. Psychological probably, but it works for him. Maybe you should consider taking the cue to someone you trust for a ding-removal, polishing, and tip replacement (even if the current tip is OK).

SpiderMan

bluey2king
03-11-2005, 09:31 AM
I had a shaft made for my production cue it is a SharpShooter. I have compared its hit with a Pred 314. I thought it was as good or better. I am no Expert but it did mess up my game for a bit because I was try to spin everything to the max. Now I am just thinking about the shot like I would with the stock shaft. I like knowing that I have a good one but I have quit trying to push it to its limits.
for what its worth

SteveFromNY
03-11-2005, 08:53 PM
good points all thanks. this is actually my second moori medium therefore I do suspect that there may be a problem with the tip. I'd wager to say that I'm a consistent C player in 9-ball and have become extremely equipment sensitive over the years. I tried shooting with my gf's joss with 314 shaft today and I immediately shot tons better, and was more confident applying english. Another thing I forgot to mention, I did find myself miscuing quite frequently with the "old" 314, now that I think about it. Perhaps the tip is what's hindering my shots? That and since I've pretty much started playing straight pool, I don't go crazy with english as much as when I played 9-ball.