PDA

View Full Version : Tip life?

Keith Talent
03-11-2005, 04:42 PM
I was just reading this comment by Spiderman in another thread (about a Pred 314) ...

Could you have a dead tip? If it's a layered tip, get someone to check under a microscope to see if any of the layers have broken down. Some layered tips (Talisman/Hercules/Adam) need to be checked frequently.
Anyway, I'm wondering how long other folks here use a given tip. As for me, in September I had Sniper tips put on the 2 shafts that I use interchangeably. I liked them well enough, and they look like they've got plenty of life still in them, but I'm miscuing like a mofo right now ... is 6 months too long to stay with a tip?

They just don't hold chalk as well as they used to ... I have to grind and grind. Even doing a little scuffing, which I had been avoiding. They may have flattened out a tad, but certainly aren't mushrooming.

Cane
03-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Keith, I use Moori III Quicks (hard) and have had them on my current two shafts for 9 months and on the shaft of another cue I occasionally take to bars for 5 months (this is also the cue I do almost all of my daily drills and practice with). I alternate use, like you, and have no problems so far out of the tips. They are holding up just fine, not breaking down and I there's still PLENTY of material there.

Later,
Bob

Popcorn
03-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Tips can be funny, many get better as you use them.

GeraldG
03-11-2005, 07:12 PM
I think that's very true. I use med/hard LePros and I get my cuemaker to leave them high. As they wear down, they seem to compress and get harder. When they are worn down to about 1/2 down to 1/4 of the original height is when they play the best. I very rarely do anything to them. I never use a pick on them. I use an Ultimate tool, but the only thing I do is very gently scuff them using the shaper part of the tool when they get so slick they won't hold chalk anymore. They never mushroom on me, never flatten, and they tend to last at least 6 months, sometimes 9 months or more.

stickman
03-11-2005, 07:30 PM
My Everest tip has been on for a little over 8 months. I've never had to trim for mushroom, or reshape it. It looks great and shows no deliminations. It is the only cue I use except for breaking with a house cue and my jump stick. It looks like I could go another 8 months. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith Talent
03-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Sounds like the tips aren't geriatric, anyway. Guess it might have sumthin to do with my stroke ... I was afraid that could be the case. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rod
03-11-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Guess it might have sumthin to do with my stroke ...<hr /></blockquote>

LOL, yep it very well might. Even when I played a lot, a tip could last two years. Reshape your tip and like you said ---

Rod

nhp
03-12-2005, 02:04 AM
Try the laminated water buffalo tips, those things last forever. They are pretty hard, though. I used to use regular water buffalo tips, and I loved them, only problem is alot of them would chip and crack (literally). When I switched to a layered WB, it never lost shape, and took about a year to wear down to about 1/4 it's size, and I had the person who put it on trim it to 3/4 it's size.