PDA

View Full Version : For BreakRak owners.

Chopstick
03-12-2005, 09:24 AM
I came up with an exercise to increase breaking power using the BreakRak. Take a couple of pieces of chalk and stack them up behind the BreakRak. Concentrate on forcing the BreakRak back on the break and knock them over. Move the chalk stack by small increments. No more than a qaurter inch at a time. Work the chalk stack back until you can barely reach it with the BreakRak.

You will find that only your most solid hits will knock over the chalk. You will also find that the hits that move the BreakRak the most are not your hardest ones. Do a couple sets of ten reps and take a three minute break. Most of the time when you come back you will easily smack the chalk on the first hit.

Anyhow it's just another way to get feedback from the BreakRak system.

ceebee
03-13-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi Chopstick, glad to see you are doing well & using the BreakRAK. Do your local players still want to buy your Break Cue?

Using chalk, dominoes or a loose ball to register longitudinal movement is good feedback. You can also use that same type of tool to assist you your efforts to repeat a softer stroke (i.e., if you hit the BreakRAK & it causes the tool to move, you hit the break shot too hard.

The softer break is sometimes the chosen "modus operandus" because of two scenarios. The softer you break the balls, the higher your accuracy of hit should be. Secondly by hitting the rack a little softer (on certain tables) your "solid hit" will give you greater cue ball control & stiil allow you to score on the break.

Players need to govern their speed, to match their field of play. Practicing different speeds of hit will allow you slow the cue ball's speed or accelerate it, without losing your groove & tempo.

Using an inexpensive Radar Appliance is the luxury way of learning a speed controlled shot. However, any form of usable feedback is confirmation of success or ?

SpiderMan
03-14-2005, 08:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I came up with an exercise to increase breaking power using the BreakRak. Take a couple of pieces of chalk and stack them up behind the BreakRak. Concentrate on forcing the BreakRak back on the break and knock them over. Move the chalk stack by small increments. No more than a qaurter inch at a time. Work the chalk stack back until you can barely reach it with the BreakRak. <hr /></blockquote>

Are you shooting straight-on when you do this, or from the side? I would think that this experiment would favor a straight-on hit from the centerline of the table.

I think if you were hitting from off to the side, the hit that "twists" the breakrak just right might be more likely to nick the chalk, rather than the hit that would have produced the best break. Not sure how to show this by experiment, though.

Did you get the "Mexican lowrider" fish finder working?

SpiderMan

Chopstick
03-14-2005, 08:59 AM
It seems that a properly executed side hit will move the BreakRak back as far as one from straight down the middle. My ctrieria for a proper hit is one that causes the cue ball to come back to the middle of the table without going to a side rail. It is easier to produce, breaking from the center line of the table than from the side. I think it is becuase it is easier to find the contact point on the cue ball. The breakRak does twist some but for a proper hit it doesn't twist very much.

For a side break I am taking a line through the center of the cue ball through the center of the one ball and a line through the center of the one ball down the center of the table.

I then bisect the angle formed by these two lines to fine the contact point on the one ball. This produces a rebound angle off the one ball that is close to the center line of the table. When I get time, I am going to use some putting tape to chart my contact points. Putting tape is something golfers use on their clubs to see exactly where they are contacting the ball.

The fish finder is in and I can see fish now! I did not go for the mega-transducer though. I got the smaller one but it's still 600 watts. This unit has the capability to distinguish fish from other things in the water. The other one didn't. If this one says it's a fish you can believe it.

SpiderMan
03-14-2005, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> It seems that a properly executed side hit will move the BreakRak back as far as one from straight down the middle. <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, but the measure of "correctness" you have established requires that it move in the direction of the chalk you stacked up. Did you place the chalk directly behind the back ball? Does the rack move straight backward, even though you broke from the side?

Regarding the fish attractant, I was referring to the converted underbody car lights.

SpiderMan

Chopstick
03-14-2005, 10:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Did you place the chalk directly behind the back ball? Does the rack move straight backward, even though you broke from the side?

Regarding the fish attractant, I was referring to the converted underbody car lights.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

The chalk remains directly behind the back ball on the centerline of the table for all breaks. Rack twist on a side break is only about 10 degrees at initial impact and it straightens at full extention of the bungy cords. Some energy is lost in the initial twist. Overall mass displacement tends to be very close to what it is for a straight on hit. No more than a quarter inch less backward movement for a side break as opposed to a srtaight down the center break.

I haven't gotten around to the fish light yet. I will be working on it. I just can't see $150 for this thing. The bulb is inside a clear plastic tube.

http://www.fishinglights.com/images/p_24ww_l.jpg

ceebee
03-14-2005, 06:01 PM
tap, tap, tap...

the BreakRAK is a SIMULATOR. A "BOEING 747 Simulator" costs several million dollars &amp; is used to train airline pilots to fly a BOEING 747 aircraft. The 747 SIMULATOR is not equal to flying a real 747 airplane, but it does work as a suitable training mechanism. The BreakRAK is equal to that scenario.

The BreakRAK is a simulated rack of balls &amp; is used as a training aid for the break shot. Having a target, that resets itself &amp; can be used as a quality feedback mechanism, is a usable training aid.

Because the BreakRAK is a simulator &amp; is integrally attached, it cannot mimic a real rack of balls exploding, yet. Impact with the BreakRAK does impart to the cue ball, a response worthy of use for training.

A player that is genuinely interested in "dialing in" their game will enjoy &amp; trust, the use of the BreakRAK in their training.

The BreakRAK is NOT 100% perfect, however it does mimic the cue ball's response with a tight rack of balls. The "TWIST of the BreakRAK" is only incidental, because the info, quickly imparted to the cue ball, has already taken place.

The BreakRAK is constantly being upgraded &amp; improved upon. ChopStick has been fortunate in his use of the BreakRAK, to have upgraded his Break Shot to a successful level. He &amp; I are both grateful of that success.

SpiderMan
03-15-2005, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> I just can't see $150 for this thing. The bulb is inside a clear plastic tube.
http://www.fishinglights.com/images/p_24ww_l.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

Fluoresecent underbody lights for lowriders, two for $19.99 at Pep Boy's Auto Parts. Supply your own clear plastic tube.

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
03-18-2005, 06:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ceebee:</font><hr>
the BreakRAK is a SIMULATOR. A "BOEING 747 Simulator" costs several million dollars &amp; is used to train airline pilots to fly a BOEING 747 aircraft. The 747 SIMULATOR is not equal to flying a real 747 airplane, but it does work as a suitable training mechanism. The BreakRAK is equal to that scenario.

The BreakRAK is a simulated rack of balls &amp; is used as a training aid for the break shot. Having a target, that resets itself &amp; can be used as a quality feedback mechanism, is a usable training aid.

Because the BreakRAK is a simulator &amp; is integrally attached, it cannot mimic a real rack of balls exploding, yet. Impact with the BreakRAK does impart to the cue ball, a response worthy of use for training.

A player that is genuinely interested in "dialing in" their game will enjoy &amp; trust, the use of the BreakRAK in their training.

The BreakRAK is NOT 100% perfect, however it does mimic the cue ball's response with a tight rack of balls. The "TWIST of the BreakRAK" is only incidental, because the info, quickly imparted to the cue ball, has already taken place.

The BreakRAK is constantly being upgraded &amp; improved upon. ChopStick has been fortunate in his use of the BreakRAK, to have upgraded his Break Shot to a successful level. He &amp; I are both grateful of that success. <hr /></blockquote>

Like Charlie says, the BreakRAK is a "tool" to help you develop a more accurate and consistent break shot, with the essential goal of providing a disciplined practice routine, with the most efficient time management. Again, this is one of the elements Randy &amp; I are talking about when we say short intense bursts of disciplined practice are more beneficial, than long, extended sessions doing the exact same thing.

However, simply owning a BreakRAK will not improve your break to it's greatest potential, until you know that you have a perfect swing. That comes from study, practice, and most frequently, from qualified instruction. My advice is to purchase ceebee's new book, exclusively on the break. It is a ton of good information, and a great start (along with the BreakRAK) to retooling your break.

By refining your pre-shot routine, you can learn that all of the extraneous body movement you see on many top players, is really not necessary to perform a very accurate, very controllable, and very repeatable break shot. In fact, for most of us, that extra movement takes AWAY from our natural ability to develop the precise timing needed, to use a light grip, and just the weight of the cue to produce the speed of the forward swing through the CB...as opposed to a tight grip, muscle, and body movement (i.e.: lunging forward). The break stroke is no different than any other high-speed shot. All that's required is to FINISH the stroke! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee ~ spf advocate

ceebee
03-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Thank you Scott for your wisdom. Using any training aid requires the correct knowledge &amp; guidance for using it.

Example: using the cue ball &amp; an object ball to practice your stroke with. If you do not know how to set the shot up for "feedback", you could very well be shooting the shot correctly &amp; not know it.

Playing POOL is a complex activity. Players that are serious about "learning the game", should always consult with a professional instructor to assist them with learning correctly, from the "Git-Go". Unlearning is a miserable, long-term experience.