PDA

View Full Version : Getting kids started

ducky
03-12-2005, 09:10 PM
Hi all,
Just purchased a new table for the family and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on getting kids started off right playing pool. Also any games we could play besides 8 & 9 ball that kids (9 yr old girl and 11 yr old boy) could enjoy. Thanks.

rukiddingme
03-12-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi Ducky,
Get them to see an instructor to show them proper stance, stroke...are you anywhere near Racine? Sailor is somewhat a legend in Wisconsin and has reasonable rates. He is located in Racine
ruk
btw...welcome to ccb!

Popcorn
03-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Show them how to hold a cue and some fundamentals but beyond that let them have fun. Who cares if they play good. They may develop an interest or it may be nothing more to them then a video game. I wouldn't put pressure on them to learn the game. Don't get all paranoid about the table either, Cloth is replaceable and the table is there to play on and have fun, don't make them afraid to go near the table.

ducky
03-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Don't have to worry about them being pushed to play, they are jumping at the chance. Also I dont care if they are ever any good, just want to let them have some fun. Thats why we got the table. Just looking for ideas.

PQQLK9
03-13-2005, 09:57 AM
I started mine real young ...

This is Erika (1/2 of my twin grandaughters). The other one is racking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/cenick/354a.jpg

Popcorn
03-13-2005, 10:28 AM
One day in the pool room a guy was standing by a table with his baby and the kid picked up a ball and was playing with it. Then all of a sudden he bounced it off the fathers head almost knocking him out. He had this big lump on his head and tears in his eyes. I always laugh when I think about how he looked so shocked and dazed. It was really funny.

cheesemouse
03-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Ducky,

Popcorn had it right; just let them have fun. I can't tell you how many nieces/nephews etc that have first played pool on my home table...Here is a warning though. If you have cues with shafts you care about you need to put them under lock and key when the kids are around, they will destroy everything in sight. I made the mistake of leaving out my playing cues...it is not a pretty site. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wantsumrice
03-13-2005, 02:03 PM
I remember I started back when I was around 6. We had this piece of crap fisher pool table, prolly around 4ft by 3ft. But it was so much fun...

As the others said, just teach em the basics, they'll pick it up quick cuz they're young..