PDA

View Full Version : MY MISQUOTE *DELETED*

Troy
06-02-2002, 06:50 PM
Post deleted by Troy

06-02-2002, 06:59 PM
Ed is refering to a camel tour event from a few years ago, not something current.

Troy
06-02-2002, 07:05 PM
In which case I appologize..... /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Ed is refering to a camel tour event from a few years ago, not something current. <hr></blockquote>

Ken
06-02-2002, 08:39 PM
What do you do when the TD refuses to rack the balls as the rules require?
1. Wait until the balls are racked according to the rules?
2. If the TD says "take it or leave it" then you "leave it"?

What's the choice? Is this not what Earl objected to? Who was there? If I am wrong please explain the circumstances.
KenCT

AzHousePro
06-02-2002, 08:48 PM
I can't see the original message so I don't know exactly what Troy was talking about but Earl attempted to quit in the hot seat match this weekend against Mika. He had a disagreement with someone in the crowd and unscrewed his cue and announced that he forfeited the match.

Charlie stepped in and talked to Earl and convinced him to play the match. Mika did not take the forfeit which he would have been well within his rights to do.

Mike

Ken
06-02-2002, 09:00 PM
Perhaps Earl was a being bit touchy. I think he is within his rights to ask that the spectators leave him alone. I've seen incidents where he has been abused in an attempt to get him to explode. He does not tolerate such idiots and Charlie needs to throw those people out.
KenCT

Troy
06-02-2002, 09:04 PM
Poor Earl needs a diaper change.....

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: AzHousePro:</font><hr> I can't see the original message so I don't know exactly what Troy was talking about but Earl attempted to quit in the hot seat match this weekend against Mika. He had a disagreement with someone in the crowd and unscrewed his cue and announced that he forfeited the match.

Charlie stepped in and talked to Earl and convinced him to play the match. Mika did not take the forfeit which he would have been well within his rights to do.

Mike <hr></blockquote>

06-02-2002, 09:16 PM
Question; did anyone in this thread witness Earl "trying to quit" or is this another of the great line of Strickland bashing that seems to take place. Did the crowd attempt to piss Earl off, this happens, yet is rarely discussed! Last; until you have walked in Earls shoes why not stop the constant Bull**** on the standards of conduct or lack thereof of Earl. Regardless of his personality...his ability at the table speaks loudly! Others due as much to blacken the eye of the sport/game of pool, they just don't have Earl's name,recognition or willingness to say what they feel/think outloud!!! Sorry for the length but enough is enough!

Race2-9
06-02-2002, 09:23 PM
Sorry; didn't sign properly. I am the one that posted the long post questioning the reporting and giving my opinion as to what I see as a constant bashing of Earl Strickland!

06-02-2002, 09:30 PM
UP YOURS . . . ANONY-PUSS ! Being great at a sport is no waiver to disrespect, annoy, intimidate (shark), or for plain uneducated rudeness. Anony - this !

cheesemouse
06-02-2002, 09:45 PM
Race,
It's hard to believe that these things only happen to Earl. If any idiot from the crowd can get a rise out of Earl and that's the book on him it will happen where ever he goes. To bad for Earl.....but one has to wonder if he isn't using these situations to take his opponent out of their game. I wonder at what point in the match this incident happened. It doesn't matter either way. It's still self-destructive behavior. I love his game and have for years. I hate to see such a great talent belittle what made him what he is today. Nobody is riding the guy they're just reacting to his less than exceptable behavior, seemingly in a predictable pattern of late. Are you trying to say that Mike Tyson is OK because he tells it like he sees it?

AzHousePro
06-02-2002, 10:23 PM
No, I did not witness it but was told the story by Charlie Williams and since he was the tournament director, I believe it happened the way he described it.

I am not bashing Earl in any way. Just describing what happened. I do think Earl may have a problem playing Mika. Mika beat Earl bad at the Open and Earl was not dealing with it very well there.

Mike

Vagabond
06-02-2002, 10:24 PM
Howdy,
Let us be fair.He is not a bad dude.He more is a fighter for principles.The road he takes to fight,on many occassions, is a wrong road.With regards racks,6 or 7 years ago Johny Archer also had problem and he questioned this take it or leave it ruling.Where is the guaranty that TD is impartial?I am not saying that Strickland is a Saint but people need to be fair.I don`t even talk to him any more.I had a minor clash with several years ago.I still like earl for his principles and his game but not to his ----- behavior. By the way more than 10 years ago he reportedly said that he wanted to be John MacEnroe (Tennis player.Spell check please)of pool.May be that speaks of his behavior.Please give him a break.
vagabond

Troy
06-02-2002, 10:28 PM
Ille Nastase (sp) comes more to mind.....

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> By the way more than 10 years ago he reportedly said that he wanted to be Mcenroe(Tennis player.Spell check please)of pool.May be that speaks of his behavior.Please give him a break.
vagabond <hr></blockquote>

Scott Lee
06-02-2002, 10:38 PM
Troy...Yeah, except Nastase is Hungarian or Romanian, and MacEnroe is an American...like Earl! BTW, I agree with you 100% about Earl. If he wants to be a crybaby and quit, let him! He plays a great game, but you have to be human on and off the court! Look at Tyson...one of the best technical fighters ever, but has let his emotions get the best of his limited education (like Earl), and is now going down the tubes. Wouldn't surprise me a bit, if this next fight in Memphis is his last hurrah! Hopefully Earl can see the comparison and learn from it! Bad news is that the old saying is often true...a leopard can't change his spots.

I don't know who said something about TD's being impartial, but I certainly wouldn't trust Charlie Williams. Scott Smith is another story altogether! IMO, his honesty and integrity has been proven over and over!

Scott

Chris Cass
06-02-2002, 10:44 PM
Hi Mike. I missed you in Vegas. I really wanted a chance to meet you. Maybe next time. I, like you, am only going to talk facts.

In 1991, at Pheasant Run, my wife and I were on our honeymoon. Earl was playing a guy from Indiana. He was beating Earl, but taking forever to shoot. Everytime the guy made a ball, the crowd went crazy, driving Earl into a frenzy. Earl got so mad, he was commenting back to the crowd. The guy ended up winning the match, and Earl left with smoke coming out of his ears.

After watching the match, my wife and I left to go talk to Jim McDermott. After speaking with Jim, we had seen Earl walking by. I asked Earl how he was doing, I had watched the match. He says in a mean, stern voice, "How would you feel if you got beaten by the 10th worst player in Indiana?"

After Earl's flare ups, the crowd seems to want to set him off. And what easier way to pay back a paying audience than to quit a match and end their enjoyment. In Earl's behalf, although the crowd pays to watch the match, I don't believe that they have the right to try and rattle the players. This isn't baseball, football, or basketball. It is more like golf and tennis, too bad some of our fans don't see it that way.

Best regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
06-02-2002, 10:46 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

ANONY-PUSS? You kill me!!

C.C.

06-02-2002, 10:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy,
Let us be fair.He is not a bad dude.He more is a fighter for principles.The road he takes to fight,on many occassions, is a wrong road. By the way more than 10 years ago he reportedly said that he wanted to be the Mcenroe ( of pool). vagabond <hr></blockquote>

v,

i appreciate your take on the whole thing. i think pool, as tennis, golf etc. benefits from having 'characters'. i expect we may see more behaviours from our mc enroe unless he spends more time at pool and less on golf where he isn't going anywhere either.

you gotta start putting "datelines" over your posts. i think it's kewl that you're all over the globe.

dan...jus heah.

Vagabond
06-02-2002, 10:50 PM
Howdy,
Talking about Scott Smith-I cosider him as my friend and the problem is that he is a ``bleeding heart liberal`` and hesitates to penalize the wrong doers.
Vagabond

Vagabond
06-02-2002, 10:54 PM
Howdy Houston Dan Jones,
Just a reminder-- Earl is also a Gemini.That is kool.
Vagabond

cheesemouse
06-02-2002, 11:00 PM
Chris,
Even in golf this spectator harassment thing can easily get out of hand. There is an Enlish golfer, Colin Mongomery(sp) who has elephant ears. He is a stone cold champion but he just can't win in the states cause he started to react to the crowd and now he can hardly get a backswing off w/o someone yelling out. When he plays here they have to have people in the crowd looking for the yellers. It's a bad situation but the guy let it be known he would react and it snowballed out of control. I think Earl has created the same situation for himself. Earl should be the champion he is and make his statements with his stick, it speaks loader than his words.
P.S. How is the vacation going? I'll bet your game is up. Later....

06-02-2002, 11:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> In Earl's behalf, although the crowd pays to watch the match, I don't believe that they have the right to try and rattle the players. This isn't baseball, football, or basketball. It is more like golf and tennis, too bad some of our fans don't see it that way.

Best regards,

C.C. <hr></blockquote>

boy, do i agree with that. until and unless the shooter invites the crowd into it they should stay the heck out.

but then, how do you deal with it if one player is getting the crowd involved and the other just wants to shoot???

that's a fairly good sharking technique. if the other guy is focusing too well, break it up with something.

question, can the "other player" ask that the crowd be cautioned back out of it or will that just jazz it up more??

seems like the t.d. is expected to provide a "reasonable playing environment" to the players.

dan

06-02-2002, 11:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vagabond:</font><hr> Howdy Houston Dan Jones,
Just a reminder-- Earl is also a Gemini.That is kool.
Vagabond <hr></blockquote>

too spooky.

dan...why am i listening to django (loud) while composing this reply??

Chris Cass
06-03-2002, 01:10 AM
Hi Cheese,

I think I have to agree with you. It seems he started something he may not have wanted.

My game has gone up and so has the back pain. Flexall has been my friend lately.LOL I have an appointment for the laser measurements and to see what can be done. If everything goes ok and there is a chance to see properly again? It'll be July 27th and I hope to get things right before I go to Vegas next yr and play in the masters.

Best regards,

C.C.~~vacation? I feel like a bum. I may need the breaks because of my eyes. OK? LOL

Chris Cass
06-03-2002, 01:34 AM
Hi Dan,

Couldn't agree more with you. I was watching a WPBA match on ESPN sometime ago with Vivian V. and she was playing the crowd like a fiddle. I can't remember who her opponent was but I did noticed, she had got a shot she shouldn't have because of it, I presume. I turned it off.

To me, the only thing to do is shoot. Everything else is interference, for you or your opponent. It's disrespectful and sharking shows weakness. Now, on the other hand. I see nothing wrong with clapping if an opponent makes a great shot. If they clap when the opponent misses, that I think, is totally uncalled for. Some did this to Earl and that is what I think, got to him the most. It's a sad day, when a player devotes his life to pool to just have a fan show such disrespect, in public.

Regards,

C.C.

SPetty
06-03-2002, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr>Now, on the other hand. I see nothing wrong with clapping if an opponent makes a great shot. If they clap when the opponent misses, that I think, is totally uncalled for. Some did this to Earl and that is what I think, got to him the most. It's a sad day, when a player devotes his life to pool to just have a fan show such disrespect, in public. <hr></blockquote>Hi Chris,

I've attended all of two professional venues. I really never felt the audience was applauding the miss. It seems to me that when the audience applauds on a miss, they are often really applauding the run that came before the miss or offering a "nice try" applause on the miss. It's difficult as a collective audience to convey "good run" or "nice try" without somehow applauding.

Or they could be applauding the incoming player to encourage him/her on.

The applause really always felt to me like a show of respect rather than disrespect.

Jay M
06-03-2002, 08:16 AM
I went over this match in detail in my post, but I just wanted to clarify a couple of things:

1) This had nothing to do with the rack, it had to do with a heckler in the audience.

2) Mika was the primary person involved in Earl not quitting the match. Charlie and Mika both worked together to calm Earl down. Mika not only didn't take the forfeit, which he could have done, but he actually talked Earl into staying. This says a lot about Mika, especially when you consider that there is a bit of bad blood between them.

Jay M

ted harris
06-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Would you care to elaborate as to the reason that you would not trust Charlie Williams?

bigalerickson
06-03-2002, 10:24 PM
John McEnroe - I actually met him once - ok, so I shook his hand - he is one of my sports hero's - for reasons other than his on court antics. just thought i'd share.

jjinfla
06-04-2002, 06:08 AM
About audiance participation. Keep in mind that all day saturday Charlie kept announcing that he wanted the audiance to applaud and to urge the players on. He said the players liked it and they did not consider it a sharking technique. I know that at times I was watching a player just about to shoot on the table in front of me when the crowd started applauding a shot a few tables over. But, that is just one more thing that the players have to deal with. If they can't then they will have to find another line of work. As far as hecklers go that has to be expected too when you have a bunch of guys drinking all day long. None of this is new to these players. They're not virgins. Saturday, Earl was working the crowd and was having fun, or so it seemed. He did complain that he had to play on table 3 twice in a row. I wonder if he was on table 3 on Sunday? Jake

06-05-2002, 04:30 PM
Chris wrote: ***In Earl's behalf, although the crowd pays to watch the match, I don't believe that they have the right to try and rattle the players. This isn't baseball, football, or basketball. It is more like golf and tennis, too bad some of our fans don't see it that way.***

I agree with you that poor fan behavior should not be condoned as a general matter. It is a tournament director's job to take the initiative to curtail blatant instances of disruption.

However, has anyone thought about why it's always Earl getting ragged on by fans? Do you all think that's random, or could it be that he has earned the contempt or disrespect that fans show him? There is no question the man plays a gifted game of pool, but being a champion is more than just a skill set. It's having the attitude of a professional, the demeanor of a professional, etc....it's the total package.

I've seen Earl stomp around the table arrogantly during a match, all the while crowing to the crowd what a ridiculously easy game pool is while his opponent sits in the chair. That's a insult to the opponent at minimum, and to anyone who's ever worked hard at their own game.

You mentioned your own observation: his comment "How would you like to be beat by the 10th worst pool player in Indiana?" When a person is so blatantly disrespectful to others, how in the world can he feel picked on or bitch that he himself doesn't get any respect?

Most spectators I know go to watch tournaments with one goal in mind: to see really good pool. The urge to heckle a given player doesn't just come out of nowhere. It's rooted in a lack of respect for that player. No one has forced Earl to behave the way he does; it's been his choice to emphasize the negative instead of showcasing the positive. In essence, Earl has "made his bed"...earned the disrespect of the pool-watching community by behaving like a petulant, narcissistic, arrogant, whiny jackass....so he shouldn't be surprised at the result of having to "lie in it"...having people treat him like a jackass.

Mr. Earl needs to make up his mind. He cannot decide to use the crowd as a forum to bash on others today, and then expect that they won't bash on HIM tomorrow.

Scott Lee
06-05-2002, 06:08 PM
aldewey...Great post! You are 100% correct in your observations! I would have to agree that Earl seems to bring it on himself much more often then the other way around.

Scott Lee

06-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!! Finally a cooler head steps forth with a logical argument. And we all know that you can't argue with logic.......So let the arguments begin!!! LMAO

06-07-2002, 03:11 PM
"I don't know who said something about TD's being impartial, but I certainly wouldn't trust Charlie Williams. Scott Smith is another story altogether! IMO, his honesty and integrity has been proven over and over!"

Scott

Why would you not trust Charlie Williams?

09-01-2002, 01:59 AM
howdy Scott. U r a prophet. This person is not to be trusted. i believe everything u said to me about him.

No teeth no teeth joe