PDA

View Full Version : Funny Night...

nhp
03-15-2005, 03:55 AM
I was hanging around a new PH and ran into an old friend of mine I hadn't seen in a while. I told my friend I was playing good, so he wanted to see if he could find me a game in there. I don't know the people in this room but he knows most of them. So in walks this guy, and my friend immediately points him out to me and says "play him, I'll back you". So he goes over and sets up a game for me, and I'm supposed to give the guy the 8-ball in a race to seven for cheap sets, seeing how things turn out and perhaps raising the bet later on.

Now, normally I don't do this, but my backer warned me NOT to run over the guy. I really don't like to stall, and I was also hesitant because I had no idea who the guy was and how good he played, but my friend did apparently. He warned me that if I left this guy 5 or 6 ball runs he would get out most of the time. I'm not that good of a player, but if I'm in stroke my confidence is huge and I'm not afraid of anything. So I just play the set free-stroking like crazy, and before I know it I'm up 5-0 after running out from everywhere. The guy starts complaining, saying he wants more weight, and I told him he hadn't earned it yet. Now the guy is angry and I don't make a ball on the break, he runs out. Then he breaks and runs out to a 5-8 combination. After a few more games like that, it's 5-4 myself leading, and I run over him, still free stroking.

So the next set he starts bickering with my backer about him needing much more weight. I tell him that it's just not worth it for me to give up huge weight for such cheap sets, and plus I was hesitant because he had already showed some speed by some decent run outs. After arguing for 10 minutes, we agree to double the bet and with me giving him 3 games to 7. Now I can't hold back so I really start to bear down, and I get to the hill and he's at 5. In the blink of an eye he makes the 9 on the break, and in the next rack he slams in a 1-9 combination. I still feel confident in my game, and so does my backer, so we play another set with the same bet, same spot. Now this guy starts to really play well, and he gets on the hill, and I'm at 2 in a race to 7. What was so funny about this guy was that when he had me down so badly, he started prancing around the table taunting my backer saying the jokes on him and he's screwed, like he's got this set in the bag. So I'm sitting there thinking to myself, "man I gotta punish this a$$ next time he leave me a shot", and I do. I win 5 in a row to win the set.

By this time the PH is about to close, we got about 20 minutes left to play. My opponent is raging mad, asking me for the nuts and to raise the bet. We had to make a short race because we didn't have much time, and he wanted 1 game in a race to 3 and the 7-8-9. I said hell no, and I reluctantly agreed to give him just 1 game to 3. He still didn't like it, and I told him that all he had to do was win one game to be on the hill, and he finally agreed. I win the flip and run a 2-pack on him. I don't make a ball on the break, and he slams the 1 into the 9-ball and he splits the pocket. Now it's hill-hill of course, he breaks, scratches, and I run out again. Man was he pissed! I felt kind of sorry for the guy because the PH was closing and we couldn't play longer for him to have a chance to break even. In the other sets after the first I showed all my speed, so it wasn't like I was hustling him. But the guy did lose and I told him that next time we would agree to some weight that we both accepted, but now I am beginning to think that I just can't match up with this guy. If it's my own cash usually I'll give more weight to give someone a chance to win money back, but I didn't want to just throw my backer's money away, because something like 3 games to 7 and the 7-out is just ludicrous. So now I gotta worry about what to say next time he sees me, because he's going to want a massive spot, and I probably wont be in stroke when that happens. Oh well, I had alot of fun though.

LARRY_BOY
03-15-2005, 06:56 AM
You never did say how much you won.....