PDA

View Full Version : Flipping for the BREAK or Lagging?

06-02-2002, 11:55 PM
Do you Players like Flipping or Lagging for the Break. If the Break Shot is important, why would someone chance the Break Shot to a flip of the coin? The locals around here all LAG for the Break... but is this the NORM for gambling matches across the country? We have a couple of local Players that are starting to PARK the Cue ball in the middle of the table regularly... which certainly gives them a visible edge, because they RUN OUT.

06-03-2002, 12:13 AM
we flip.

dan

Chris Cass
06-03-2002, 12:46 AM
We flip out here but playing the same guy I called 26 flips in a row. He also made me flip while I called it. How's that for luck? He's at the point now, he just says, break. LOL

C.C.

06-03-2002, 01:33 AM
I watched a small tournament in a Chicago subburb Thur & I was surprised to see them just flip for the break. To me it seemed to take away an old tradition. And there is a little skilled involved in being a good lagger.

Doctor_D
06-03-2002, 04:44 AM
Good morning:

Personally, I much prefer to lag for the break.

Dr. D.

jjinfla
06-03-2002, 05:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Chris Cass:</font><hr> We flip out here but playing the same guy I called 26 flips in a row. He also made me flip while I called it. How's that for luck? He's at the point now, he just says, break. LOL
C.C. <hr></blockquote>
Still have that two headed coin I see. LOL Jake

Fred Agnir
06-03-2002, 05:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Do you Players like Flipping or Lagging for the Break. If the Break Shot is important, why would someone chance the Break Shot to a flip of the coin? The locals around here all LAG for the Break... but is this the NORM for gambling matches across the country? We have a couple of local Players that are starting to PARK the Cue ball in the middle of the table regularly... which certainly gives them a visible edge, because they RUN OUT. <hr></blockquote>
I flip. I know your thought process on the importance of the lag, but have you ever tracked how many lags you win? Isn't every table different, and isn't there another player involved?

It seems to me that the only advantage lagging has over flipping is that you get a chance to see what happens on a shot that you deem to be lag speed. That is, you get a feel for the table.

Fred

Doctor_D
06-03-2002, 06:27 AM
Good morning:

All of the tournaments in which I compete require a lag, no coin toss permitted. As such, because the lag is so important, I have incorporated the lag into my regular practice routine.

Dr. D.

Jay M
06-03-2002, 08:19 AM
Gambling is normally a flip.

Tournament play is normally, and SHOULD be a lag. The lag is a skill shot just like all the others. I you want the game to be about skill, the lag is definitely the way to go.

Jay M

Alfie
06-03-2002, 10:57 AM
Quote Fred Agnir: "I know your thought process on the importance of the lag, but have you ever tracked how many lags you win? Isn't every table different, and isn't there another player involved?"

I get a better output with the coin flip input.

Or can black box results even be compared? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Cueless Joey
06-03-2002, 11:39 AM
Whatever you do, don't lag against Scott Lee.
Not even if he spots you a second try. LOL

Scott Lee
06-03-2002, 04:43 PM
Joey....LMAO! Practice that lag (I know you ARE!), because as many of us here know, it is the 'basic' stroke in pool.

Scott