PDA

View Full Version : Minimum items needed for tip repair?

Perk
03-15-2005, 10:12 AM
So I want to learn to do my own tips. Got a few questions.

1. What tools are definately required at a minimal?
2. What tools above the minimal would make it easier?
3. What resources are available to read/watch etc to learn about putting tips on?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Big_Jon
03-15-2005, 06:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> So I want to learn to do my own tips. Got a few questions.

1. What tools are definately required at a minimal?
2. What tools above the minimal would make it easier?
3. What resources are available to read/watch etc to learn about putting tips on?

Thanks for any info you can provide. <hr /></blockquote>

1. A car.
2. Map to pro shop.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
J/K
You would really need a lathe to do the best job.
Some razor blades would be helpful (be very, very careful /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)
Some sandpaper (all grades of the stuff)
A Gel type super glue
If you get a lathe, some different size split-collets
I'm sure i'm forgetting some things.

But then again, you said "minimum" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I really can't help ya there.

Thanks,

Jon

Rod
03-15-2005, 06:59 PM
If your good with your hands, some gel super glue, a sharp knife or exacto knife and some sandpaper. That's assuming you trim the old tip off the ferrule flat.

I did it for years by hand but not anymore. There is a post about a crutch tool in the archives. It works very well, I use mine once in a while and it looks as good as done in a lathe.

Rod

cheesemouse
03-16-2005, 10:16 AM
First off I think a tip would be helpful; then utility knife, fast gel-super glue, sandpaper, spit, and a twenty dollar bill just in case you have to run to a cue repair guy. Seriously, I did one just the other day. It makes a funny sound but I'm used to it now...LOL

highsea
03-16-2005, 01:13 PM
I've been doing my own by hand for a few years now. Here is what I use:

Tweeten tip sander to prep the ferrule
Tweeten tip clamp
Porper "little shaver" for trimming the edge flush
5-minute epoxy
half-oval sandpaper shaper
sharp knife
willard shaper
blue masking tape
brown paper bag for burnishing the sides

It all fits in a cigar box. (La Finca Coronas)

Popcorn
03-16-2005, 01:26 PM
You can do a nice job by hand. I used to have a kid working for me when I had the pool room and he did them by hand almost as fast as a lathe. He would have the shaft upside down on a block of wood and his hand moved with the speed of a sewing machine as he trimmed away at the tip. They would come out perfect and a little sand paper and he was done. I later got a lathe but he only used it to spin the shaft and do the fine finishing on the tips, he still cut them down by hand. You know this same guy if you asked him to dial a phone number for you, (the phone was behind the bar) he never forgot the number. You could ask him months later and he still knew the number. I never could figure out how he was able to do that, like Rainman or something. People would use him like a directory service. They would call him to get numbers because he knew everybody's numbers he had ever been told.