PDA

View Full Version : OK ... lets have your high run in straight pool >>

Snyder1
03-16-2005, 06:15 AM
I've only been playing a couple years & am frustrated by the 14.1 game (but love to play it) & can't seem get past my first rack. Seems everybody I've met that plays straight can tell me their best run. Just curious, lets have yours ...

JS

Brian in VA
03-16-2005, 06:18 AM
Mine is 57 but that's a million or so years ago on an 8 foot table. Recently, I had a 34 on a 9' at my local pool room. I love the game and can play it for hours by myself.

Brian in VA

Wally_in_Cincy
03-16-2005, 06:34 AM
the sad but true facts...

34 and 30 on my home table

In competition, 28 twice, 24 three times, 15-20 more times than I can count.

ChuckR
03-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Mine is 37 on a 9 foot and I always get stuck with the patterns at the end of the rack giving a transition for the break.

Nostroke
03-16-2005, 08:17 AM
I dont play much straight pool but if i did I'm sure it wouldnt be much better-'22'

Steve Lipsky
03-16-2005, 08:45 AM
My high run is 177, done about 3.5 years ago. Dick Leonard claims that running 200 is better than sex; 177 felt so good, I think I prematurely... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Some of the runs I am most proud of:

- 142 in the finals of a 14.1 tournament a year ago.
- In a 6-match double round-robin, I ran 3 100s, 2 90s, and 1 70.
- 94-and-out on Ginky in the Carom Cafe round-robin
- 114 to open a game to 150 against Mika (then obviously lost LMAO)

My boys Dick Leonard and Chris Cass could probably fill pages with their accomplishments; looking forward to reading them.

- Steve

MrLucky
03-16-2005, 09:01 AM
When I played regularly years ago (1970's) 72 balls now can average around a rack and a half on good days /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-16-2005, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> My high run is 177,

- 142 in the finals of a 14.1 tournament a year ago.

<hr /></blockquote>

show-off /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Eric.
03-16-2005, 10:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> - 142 in the finals of a 14.1 tournament a year ago.
- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, and Bob hasn't been the same since. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

Rackin_Zack
03-16-2005, 10:45 AM
I ran 30 a while back but normally run a 20-25 in a race to 125. However, I haven't really been playing much straight here lately and I played last night and I think my high run was 11...lol.

daviddjmp
03-16-2005, 12:07 PM
I ran 47 once back in college on a 9 footer, then gave up the game for 20 years. In the last two years since I started again, my high run is 39 on a 9 footer. I have more knowledge now but less talent :-). I run in the 20's a lot more that I used to, though.

Bob_Jewett
03-16-2005, 12:20 PM
102 a long time ago in a practice game. 77 recently in a league semi-finals. The high run in that league this season is a 108 (and out, plus 5 more) by a mostly-snooker player on a double-shimmed GC3.

RUNaRAK
03-16-2005, 01:11 PM
A whooping 43 is my high run. I do not play the game much because not many around here want to play it! Wally, since you are from Hamiltucky, you're not too far away. Where is the straight pool league that you play in?? Sounds like fun to me.

Peace,

Joe

Wally_in_Cincy
03-16-2005, 01:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RUNaRAK:</font><hr> A whooping 43 is my high run. I do not play the game much because not many around here want to play it! Wally, since you are from Hamiltucky, you're not too far away. Where is the straight pool league that you play in?? Sounds like fun to me.

Peace,

Joe <hr /></blockquote>

Joe, it is played out of SnookerS just north of Tri-County Mall. You played a Viking event there.

We'll be starting another session probably around May or June, after we finish this one.

We could get together and play some if you would like. Maybe Jack's in Middletown? I've never been there.

Or Airway? I've been meaning to get up there. Are you in North Dayton or South Dayton?

justbrake
03-16-2005, 01:30 PM
at 16-16-1/2 I ran 77 balls in deadstroke,the guy thru down his pool stick so I didn't continue and then I looked around the poolroom and there was nobody that wanted to play me that night so I really wounldn't really know what was the limitaions of what I could of really have run then, but 77 is the count,astoria,NY = 32 yrs ago

Chris Cass
03-16-2005, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr>
My boys Dick Leonard and Chris Cass could probably fill pages with their accomplishments; looking forward to reading them.
- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve, I'm honored by your thoughts but I can't hold a candle between, you and Dick Leonard. As far as 14.1 standards go. Sure my high run is current at 168 but it was done in a yr when pool was pool. When pool ediquett was enforced, but mostly lived by all.

The only thing I pride myself playing straight pool today is, winning by the last shot. I don't mean the we both need this much but a place where my opponent could be dangerous. This could be from anywhere. I have the ability to do what it takes to get there. I don't mean by cheating or sharking but more less by ducking and controling. Control is what I like to have all the entire match.

Regards,

C.C.~~Steve and Dick are the only 2 players I admire, that carry the skills, I'd dream to possess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
03-16-2005, 01:46 PM
What do you think about running balls as any measurement or someone's skills? I never thought much of it, I knew a zillion guys who could run balls who were in general just above average players. It is kind of just a little know how in my opinion, once you sort of know how to do it, you seem to always be able to run balls. I'm not even the same player when I play straight pool, I run around the table a hundred miles an hour when I'm running balls. I can have not played in a long time and would have real trouble beating a decent player at 9-ball but still have no problem running balls in straight pool, It's almost like it is a trick or something. I played a kid a few months ago a 50 point game and ran 50 the first inning and I hadn't been playing at all for a while. I quit at the 50 and we started playing 9-ball. I would have liked to run a few more balls, but it was cooler to quit the run, and of course you got to be cool. The table is important also, some of those old GC they had in most pool rooms years ago were hard to miss on. Run 70 or a 80 balls today on a tough Diamond and you have really done something. If you watch that 150 point run by Crane on Balsis that is on tape, not to take anything away from him but, he should have missed a dozen times the table was so easy.

dg-in-centralpa
03-16-2005, 03:33 PM
While straight pool is not my specialty, I do enjoy practicing with it. I don't play the 9 footers much. I've run 15 on a 9 foot and 32 on a bar box. I've done in the 20's several times on a bar box, but average 14 - 18 on a good day.

DG - don't get to the ph as much as I'd like, so I settle for my bar box

Rod
03-16-2005, 04:16 PM
I can think of times I'd liked to have run less than two racks. Or possibly just a few balls. LOL My high run is 154 and 113 in a tournament. Probably most proud of two inning match at 60 something each for some serious $$$. Those were 9 footers but The last time and only time I played 14-1 on a bar box (that I can remember) I run 50 and out. 14-1 is a dead horse depending on where you live. My 14-1 career ended short, about the time I got decent I rarely played the game any more. Keep at it, if you can make balls all you need is strategy. That comes in time from learning what balls to shoot. Or possibly, what balls not to shoot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

TennesseeJoe
03-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Snyder1, Glad you like 14.1, it is a great game and one to helps with all other games. Just 2 tips to get you past the first rack and start stringing racks together:
1. Always determine your break ball and set up ball before you shoot. This may change during the rack.
2. Shoot the balls nearest the pockets and nearest the rails first.
Try this on a few rack and let me know if it helps.
Tennesseejoe6@aol.com

mworkman
03-16-2005, 06:01 PM
My recent high run of 61 was done on my home table which is a 7' Dynamo. We don't have any 9' tables around here, so I'm not sure how many I could run on a bigger table. Does anyone play straight on both 9' and 7' tables? And if so, what is your high run in both? I would assume it would be easier on the smaller table for shot making, but harder in another way because of all the clutter and slow cloth.

poolturtle
03-16-2005, 08:00 PM
The only time I "play" straight pool is when I'm practicing by myself, so I haven't had much experience in runs. I ran 18 one time, but there were no witnesses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif So I guess it falls in the category of the other spectacular things I've done on a table....by myself....with no one around to validate it!

Popcorn
03-16-2005, 08:19 PM
I never played straight pool on a 7 foot table but I would think it is harder.

cueball1950
03-16-2005, 09:49 PM
While i have had many runs over 70 balls i have only broken the century mark once with a run of 114 in the finals of a local tournament held at Big Head Charlie's place here in Troy NY. It was against a decent local player named Russ Hughes. Gosh i miss the good old days. I believe Dick Leonard is familiar with both people. I just wish i could remember the type of table it was on. I remember also getting stiffed for the prize money the next night at the dinner banquet for the players. I got the "FREE" meal and the trophy, but Charlie took off with the money. When i confronted him about my money a couple of days later i got told that he had spent it on the banquet dinner. And he owned the Rib Joint where the banquet was held. Oh well, i got the trophy and had fun. but i have to say this, i had no idea where i was during the run cuz i was so focused on the match at hand. otherwise i know i would have choked and probably lost if i had known..................mike

ryushen21
03-17-2005, 12:30 AM
keep in mind i'm a young guy so i still have some seasoning to get on me in 14.1. My high run is 53 on a 9 footer. It was an interesting situation though. I was playing a friend who had never played 14.1 and decided that he wanted to try it. He didn't like it too much after my run though. On average i hit between 14-20 range have a had a couple of 30's here and there but nothing serious. I do love 14.1 but have practically no one to play with. The only guy that will play gets tilted when i run more than 6 balls at a time and ends up quitting.

SplinterHands
03-17-2005, 04:14 AM
I've had runs of 78 and 72 (69 last week). Lately when I've been practicing, I try to run at least 50. It gives me a goal to keep me interested. Otherwise, I seem to get bored and switch over to nine-ball.

DickLeonard
03-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Wally,Wally you must be a republican this Democrats high runs were 323,250,212, a couple of 100+ playing left handed and 186 and out on Joe Canton, the only one who ever ran 150 and out from the git go on Joe.

He played in the era of Mosconi,Crane,Caras. Jimmy Moore always said if he knew what Joe knew about straight pool Mosconi would never beat him. Joe disadvantage was his 5 ft 3 size on 5x10 tables. Then they moved to 4 1/2 x9 tables and he won the National Title but partied to hearty and finished 4th in the playoff for the Worlds Title. The first three finishers would play the reigning Worlds Champion. I am not sure of a double round robin or a single but Willie Mosconi retained his title and Joe couldn't even play him the challenge match.####

DickLeonard
03-17-2005, 08:07 AM
Steve you experienced the feeling that takes over your body when running balls it is a drug free high. I had a customer go to Woodstock, then to San Fransico and Haight-Ashbury and come back 6 months later and watch me running balls and he said to me you don't need drugs your high on pool.

You're right about my saying running 200 was better than sex. When I was running the room in Troy where I met cueball1950, I would run 100s every day practicing and never know the the true total of the run but it was mezmerizing.

The room owner wanted me to play pool when working, his thinking was how is anyone going to learn how to play if they don't see how to play.

Playing with Joe Canton showed me how to play short shots most people would say watching me play anyone can run that many balls he never plays a hard shot.####

rhoffman
03-17-2005, 09:04 AM
Dick - The few times I saw you shooting at the Golden Cue, you certainly demonstrated how straight pool should be played. It was mesmorizing watching how you easy you made it look. I would always play better immediately after watching you. I remember I'd go back to the SUNY poolroom and try to keep your image in my mind.

While straight pool was the serious game then ('69-'72), nine ball and rotation (Chicago) were the primary money games at SUNY, as everyone wanted faster money action than straight pool provided. In fact, those that wanted really fast action played six-ball. I often said to those that played it, if you want really fast money action, why don't you just flip a coin! It seemed that they didn't really want to play pool, they just wanted to hustle for money.

Bob

Williebetmore
03-17-2005, 10:57 AM
High run so far = 44 and out (on double-shimmed GCIV, in competition). I've only been playing seriously for 3 years, but have had some really good professional instruction, and some great sessions with Danny DiLiberto. I only keep track of runs IN COMPETITION (our league matches are only to 100 balls) - my game in competition and practice are very different. I'm in awe of players like Dick and Steve. Hell, running 44 was probably better than sex (does that mean I need to work on the pool or work on the other thing?????).

dmgwalsh
03-17-2005, 01:55 PM
My high run is in the low 30s, 32 or 33 or something like that. I had a 28 a week ago, 25 and 22 a week before that. Lots in the teens. Need to get over the hump and consistently get break shots. Dennis

hhilario
03-17-2005, 03:39 PM
4 years ago and after 2 months of consistent 14.1 play: 34 (once). After that I retired from pool.
2 hours ago and after 4 months of returning to the tables: 10.
Time does make a difference. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

DickLeonard
03-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Popcorn the new cloth in Worlds Tournaments are so smooth that balls go in from every where. It takes a few weeks of steady play to toughen up the tables. Brushing the cloth starts the threads splitting.####

DickLeonard
03-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Mike the first table was a Brunswick Arcade table. Yes I knew both Gentlemen I had a key to Charlies poolroom. I would play in the morning after work. I ran 212 in his room with the City Water Dept using a JackHammer right out side.

Charlie thought so much of that that he had a placque made that hung behid his desk.####

nhp
03-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Here is some excellent advice on how to play straight pool:

1. You don't NEED a break ball, after all, you get more power and a better spread if you just break with the cueball into the pack as hard as you can.

2. When you keep score, for every point you make, add another here and there. It helps you win. For every point your opponent scores, remove a few here and there, this also helps you win.

3. Remember, straight pool is a BEGINNERS game. It doesn't require cueball control since you can shoot at any ball. Straight pool is NOTHING compared to the incredibly skillful games like 7-ball.

4. Always remember to multiply your actual high run x2 whenever someone asks you what your high run is.

5. Now for the more advanced parts: When you use sidespin, like left english, it will transfer right english to the object ball. This will make the object ball suddenly move right. So, say you have an impossible 90 degree cut to the side pocket. All you have to do is use the opposite spin to where the pocket is located, and the ball will magically go right in.

6. This also works for bottom and top spin. If you put top spin on the cueball, when you hit the object ball, you will transfer bottom to it. This will make the object ball suddenly come back towards you really fast, so watch out!

7. Never chalk your cue. Chalk is messy.

8. It is ok to use alot of talcum powder, however. Sometimes to add strategy to my game, I pour alot of talcum powder on the table, and pretend that im walking in a winter wonderland!

9. Well, I hope this has helped you. Take care and have fun!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
03-18-2005, 09:25 AM
I can run out an 8-ball rack more often than not (my APA average finished up slightly below one inning), but my high run in straight pool is only 30. A couple years ago, I started playing straight pool once or twice a week with some locals. Out of probably 20 or 30 games, my high run was only 30 balls.

One of the two guys I played with would routinely run balls forever while I racked and napped. Since my spare time is somewhat limited, I decided this was neither helpful nor fun, and haven't played a game of 14.1 since. If I wanted to be a spectator, I might as well be behind the rail having lunch, and leave the racking to someone else /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SpiderMan

SUPERSTAR
03-20-2005, 04:40 PM
I've never had that much exposure to straight pool. Aside from Jimmy Caras hanging at our pool room 14 years ago and Bob Maidhof who own the room, who himself is an excellent straight pool player (I would think because he used to play with Jimmy all the time).
Other than those 2, there weren't that many serious 14.1 enthusiasts around here.

Having said that, i have played on occasion, usually in spurts, (nothing but straight pool for a week) but it is extremely rare.

My high run is 117 and out while gambling and i have a high run of 71 left handed. Both happened around 3 years ago.
When people urged me to continue the 117 run (i had gone across the room to collect my money), i went back to the table and miscued on a total duck. So much for THAT!

I might have played 14.1 about 3 times since then.

SUPERSTAR

Voodoo Daddy
03-24-2005, 07:11 AM
I run 96 and 98 the same week back a few moons {'89} and have not put a 50 together since. In fairness I play 14.1 as often as I hit the lotto...but something tells me I should /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif