PDA

View Full Version : WARPED SLATE on NEW GOLD CROWN???

BritzSticks
03-16-2005, 09:26 PM
HI Gang..Unless My Friends and I are imagining things..It SEEMS like the Slate on my NEW Gold Crown is actualy Warped?? Is this Possible????? When you shoot the long way, REAL Softly from a couple of inches from the cusion, all the way down the table..It drifts quite a bit towards the cusion towards BOTH Sides!?? In other words, to the left when your shooting down the left hand edge and to the right down the right hand side?? Doesn't make any sense to Me?? Is it possible that this is some kind of simple Leveling Problem??? Seems impossible that Slate would Warp, but I've had a couple people tell me it can??? Naturaly, I'm going to get the Brunswick Guy back over here in the next few days, but want to know if I'm crazy first here or What??? Can anyone help??? Thanks Again Guys...Nick..:)

SecaucusFats
03-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Contact the dealer and have him send a mechanic out to check out the table.

The mechanic will determine the cause of the problem and proceed from there. It could be something as simple as releveling the slates or it could be a warped slate. Either way Brunswick will fix it.

tateuts
03-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Slate doesn't warp. A grade "B" slab made it's way past the inspectors to your table. True, a mechanic can fix it - maybe - but they shouldn't have to. The telltale sign is it rolls in various directions like you are describing. Older tables that rolled fine with heavey cloth really show this when recovered in Simonis and similar fine fabrics.

Chris

MrLucky
03-17-2005, 04:29 PM
My thoughts exactly ! it is physically impossible for a slate bed to "warp" it is possible for it to have been milled imperfectly when finished or for it to crack if handled improperly or for the 2 or 3 pieces of slate to need to be reset and sealed but that would be it!

Bob_Jewett
03-17-2005, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BritzSticks:</font><hr> HI Gang..Unless My Friends and I are imagining things..It SEEMS like the Slate on my NEW Gold Crown is actualy Warped?? Is this Possible????? ... .:) <hr /></blockquote>
I'm told that you can use localized shims to adjust the slate in case it is not flat. (Flat is different from level. Something that's flat might not be level, but something that's not flat can never be level.) That means that slate can bend. (Of course slate bends, that's certain, the only question is how much.)

Slate can also do other things. I've been told (and seen an example) of slate starting to delaminate (sort of flake or accordion up) in spots due to lack of humidity or just a defect in the slate.

There have been other stories of brand new slates being bad. Is your slate Italian or Brazilian?

MrLucky
03-17-2005, 07:35 PM
without getting overly technical the small amount of "deflection" in a piece of slate the size used for a pool table bed is so slight it is almost insignificent! If the slate was finished to a flat tolerance in spec which I would think a Gold Crown would, it just needs leveling and shimming by a pro or the slate has either cracked or a better word might be split since that is the in line with the properties of slate ! the deflection should not to exceed .030 inches [.762 mm] when loaded with a concentrated static force of <font color="red"> 200 pounds! [90.7 kg] </font color> at its center /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif if it was the sections joints not in plane then the ball roll off would be from front to back the opposite but not side to side! IMHO

SpiderMan
03-18-2005, 09:43 AM
The slate is not perfectly rigid, it can "sag" or "bow". Often it must not only be leveled, but also "shimmed" between the frame and slate to make it flat. If the table's frame is not supporting the slate such that it's surface is flat, you could see the phenomenon you describe.

When I had a home table, the mechanic leveled the overall frame with shims under the legs, and fine-tuned the slate's flatness with playing cards between the slate and frame.

SpiderMan