PDA

View Full Version : practice

LARRY_BOY
03-17-2005, 06:57 AM
I was just wondering how many hours a week every one plays/practices........

Deeman2
03-17-2005, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> I was just wondering how many hours a week every one plays/practices........ <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I play about 6 hours a week in league and another 10 or so in tournaments. I usually practice once a week for a few hours. When you get older and more experienced, it seems you need less practice to stay sharp but playing everyday, some, helps.</font color>

Deeman

Deeman

loofnicnad
03-17-2005, 07:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> I was just wondering how many hours a week every one plays/practices........ <hr /></blockquote>

just out of curiosity LARRY_BOY, how many hours do you put in? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
03-17-2005, 07:41 AM
Hi,
I practice atleast three hours every morning, most weeks, and play either in league or with friends here at home atleast eight hours.

Gayle in Md.

SpiderMan
03-17-2005, 08:06 AM
I don't practice as much as I should, probably because of limited spare time and the desire to spend it having fun playing. I do shoot in four tournaments each week - Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Last Sunday I skipped my tournament and went to a PH where I get free time on the nine-footers. The place was nearly empty, so I set up my camcorder on the bar and videotaped myself shooting straight-ins for about 30 minutes. When I reviewed the tape, I noticed that my eyes were not level (head tilted). I guess I should practice more often.

SpiderMan

MrLucky
03-17-2005, 09:22 AM

<font color="green">I play / practice about 3-4 hours per day on valley bar tables and Play about 6 hrs per week and practice another 1-2 on 9' League tables every Sunday in APA! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LARRY_BOY
03-17-2005, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote loofnicnad:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> I was just wondering how many hours a week every one plays/practices........ <hr /></blockquote>

just out of curiosity LARRY_BOY, how many hours do you put in? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Aren't you suposed to be at a interview about NOW? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LARRY_BOY
03-17-2005, 09:34 AM
So it looks like this

Deeman 18 hours
Gayle 29
Mr. Lucky 35

I think I see my problem.......

randyg
03-17-2005, 10:24 AM
It's almost impossible to practice over 30 minutes at a time. What are you really doing???SPF-randyg

MrLucky
03-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Why do you feel that way? On Sundays prior to my APA I practice different drills I download from Dave Sapolis site and others ! or I just work on my weaknesses such as kicks and banks I do that for 30 - 60 minutes by itself ! although I've played Pool for 45 years now, I do realize and acknowledge that there are many things I do not know / understand / execute properly or could simply do better and I constantly look to improve in all areas! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif If this wasn't true then I or any one who believes that they are a perfect player would be beating every one they encounter and never missing a shot or position!!!! I don't know about you but that isn't the case for me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Bob_Jewett
03-17-2005, 11:28 AM
On average about 5 hours of play and half an hour of practice per week. This contrasts with 35 hours of play a week when I had been playing for about two years, and about 25 hours a week 20 years ago.

As for limited practice sessions, I think this depends on the mood. I've been able to seriously and productively practice for 3-4 hours at a time when I was in a situation that allowed it.

MrLucky
03-17-2005, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
As for limited practice sessions, I think this depends on the mood. I've been able to seriously and productively practice for 3-4 hours at a time when I was in a situation that allowed it. <hr /></blockquote>

..."situation that allows it"... was a perfect way Bob to put it! When I go to Mr Cues on Sundays I go early enough to avoid the distractions of friends and the other players and that allows me to get into a "zone" where I can practice ! time when in this environment actually flys by, sometyimes before I know it ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
03-17-2005, 12:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> It's almost impossible to practice over 30 minutes at a time.<hr /></blockquote>
Why do you say that? What happened to you after thirty minutes?

SpiderMan

MrLucky
03-17-2005, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> It's almost impossible to practice over 30 minutes at a time.<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="red"> Since he's not responding perhaps he suffers from a short attention span? </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-17-2005, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> It's almost impossible to practice over 30 minutes at a time. What are you really doing???SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

randyg, even with my lack of motivation I can practice (good, diligent, disciplined practice) for at least 2 hours before succumbing to distractions.

Don't you have 3-day pool schools, or is that different?

CJ_ATX
03-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I practice 20-25 hrs a week, most of that on a 7 foot. I play league twice a week, 8 and 9 ball. On Friday and Saturday night play in the local tourneys and on Sunday play on a 9 foot for 3-6 hrs. Everyday I play I can see results but then again I have only been playing for a yr and a half. Additional I see a BCA instructor for two hrs a week. I'm going to Jack N Jill tourney in Vegas in April...have to get ready...

Cane
03-17-2005, 01:53 PM
I have a set practice routine. I do it twice a day, early morning and mid afternoon. Each session takes about 20 to 25 minutes. These sessions are strictly stroke and fundamentals. I have another routine that I do on weekends, that includes more non fundamental things, and do it for about 30 minutes both Sat and Sun. Total Practice time per week, between 5 and 6 1/2 hours I guess, but it's all very targetting, every intense...

As for play, I play anywhere from 20 to 25 hours a week competive play (but that includes a regular Tuesday Night Ring Game that goes on 9pm or so until 3 or 4 in the morning), and just get on the table by myself and shoot balls another 8 to 10 hours... but I don't consider just shooting shots to be practice. I just love to hit balls, and usually I'm not trying to burn anything in, just having fun!

Of course, I'm retired, so this much play time is easy for me to maintain.

later,
Bob

Keith Talent
03-17-2005, 03:15 PM
About 12 hours a week ... 30-45 mins with drills to warm up, then running balls, whatever. Not getting into enough games, though ... the opposite problem from most people, I'd guess. Sked makes it hard for me to play in tourneys more than every other month or so ... also to match up since I don't get started till nearly midnight, after work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Stretch
03-17-2005, 03:54 PM
I'm good for about 2 hours practice. The first hour is devoted to drills in a broad range of areas. There is really know way of covering EVERYTHING, but i do start out with stroke building shots, then move onto angles, banks, combonations, kicks, breaks, or anything that i feel needs extra attention. After an hour of that i'll take a break for a while then come back with playing the ghost a bunch of short sets for an hour in 8 ball or nine ball.

I get off work (start at 3 am.) around noon or 1 so this gives me a chance to drop into the pool halls when it's nice and quiet and rates are cheap to none existent. I find the 2 hrs of me time after work is a great relaxer. Then I've got League night Monday's. Free team practice at the club Sunday nights. There's lots of low entry fee handycap tournies around the City so your not wareing out your welcome anywhere /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif then of course there's the provincial ranking tournaments in 9 ball once a month to match up with the best around here so it's buisy lol. With everything else i got goin on if i'm in a small tourney a week and a big one every 2 weeks i'm happy.

In the Summer i really slack off. I might be lucky to get the cue in my hand once a week, sometimes two. Now Golf! That's the summer thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

tateuts
03-17-2005, 04:37 PM
Practice should be interesting. I practice now playing the ghost on a very tight table, and keeping track of who's ahead. I break 9 ball, get ball in hand. The 9 always has to be the last ball or it spots. If I run the table, I win. If I miss I lose. The table has 4" corner pockets and 4 1/2" sides. It's usually a close match. I get more out of this practice than anything except maybe playing a really tough opponent. If I break and run out I give myself two games because the table breaks tough and this encourages the decision of whether to take the risky first shot.

The benefit of this sort of practice is that you are shooting all the time and it's interesting. If you lose focus or get frustrated you start making mistakes and it's easy to fall behind. You learn how to leave yourself easier to avoid missing shots or position, and learn how to really plan the table.

Because of how exciting this game is with myself, in a real game situation I am learning to ignore my opponent and the situation, to instead focus inward in my own thinking process. It's a form of mental training. In a match, your opponent is a distraction - so this helps train you to block out your opponent.

Sometimes I will play the ghost for four or five hours at a time. Sometimes I'll play the ghost all weekend. At this stage of the game, it's probably helped me improve more than anything else. I try to practice 8 - 10 hours a week and play in matches one night a week.

Chris

randyg
03-17-2005, 04:49 PM
"Perfect Practice Proves Positive".

The normal human can only focus on one subject for about 4-5 minutes. Anything over that may prove to be less effective.

If you make a list of say, fifteen things, that you need to work on and spend 4-6 minutes on each five of those things, that's about 30 minutes of intense practice. On your next practice session take five more off your list and do the same. The next practice session you take the last five and finish your list. Quickly you have established a very effective routine. Start over when you list is finished or add to your list.

Short, focused practice routines with a proper good night's sleep will build a very strong game.

I like Spiderman's comment on a video cam. After all my video taped practice routines, I sit back with an Iced Tea and watch myself practice.......SPF-randyg

Scott Lee
03-17-2005, 05:30 PM
I agree with this 100%! 15 minutes of this kind of intensive, disciplined practice is worth more than 3 hours of playing. Like Randy mentioned, we all have limited attention spans. They start out extremely short (perhaps 2 minutes when we're five yrs old.), progress to perhaps 15-20 minutes, by the time we're mature adults (40), and then begin to regress slowly. I have been teaching a series of five specific exercises, for many years, to be done a certain way, in the right order. After practicing this routine, you should be able to do all five drills in 15 minutes...after which you will be completely warmed up and ready for whatever other play, practice, drills, or action you're looking for.

As far as my answer to the original poster's question: NONE
I love to play, and play some almost every day, but I do not practice anymore at all...with the exception of trick shots...which I practice some every time I play!

Scott Lee

bluey2king
03-17-2005, 06:39 PM
At least 12 hrs a week. I am learning so much new stuff. I work on the things I have done a couple of times. I play leauge on Friday 8 &amp; 9.

christopheradams
03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I play 1 1/2 hours a day at work, 2 15 min breaks, 1 30 min break, and 30 min after work, and about 2 to 3 hours a day at home or at a pool hall during the week. I play from 7-close or until my eyes can't stand the smoke any longer on saturday nights, and play 4 hours or until my eyes can't stand the smoke on Sunday at open table day at a local bar.

Rod
03-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Now, very little due to some changes but when younger 40+ hours a week was the norm as an average. In the last 12 years, some practice but mostly play. I doubt that would exceed 10 hours per week when I play. If I'm not playing, which is more the case it may be three or 4 weeks before I hit a ball. I think I need to get out and play some. LOL

Rod

pooltchr
03-18-2005, 05:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> It's almost impossible to practice over 30 minutes at a time. What are you really doing???SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

randyg, Don't you have 3-day pool schools, or is that different? <hr /></blockquote>

Wally, Yes he does, but it's not 8 hours a day of practice. The class structure will have explanation and demonstration of a single concept, followed by 20-30 minutes for the student to practice the concept. Then comes discussion and Q&amp;A. Then on to the next concept. You won't spend all your time at the table in his school, but you will have many short practice sessions.
I think Randy's point is that the quality of praqctice will deteriorate to the point that it isn't effective after 20-30 minutes. Short, intense practice sessions will yield better results.
Take Breaks!!
Steve

MosconiJr
03-18-2005, 07:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> As far as my answer to the original poster's question: NONE
Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

My friend Fountain Inn Red (RIP) had a great quote once. He never hit a ball except in tournaments or gambling, and beat many of the best. Someone asked him once before a match if he was going to practice, and he said "I practiced when I was a kid".

Stretch
03-18-2005, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MosconiJr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> As far as my answer to the original poster's question: NONE
Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

My friend Fountain Inn Red (RIP) had a great quote once. He never hit a ball except in tournaments or gambling, and beat many of the best. Someone asked him once before a match if he was going to practice, and he said "I practiced when I was a kid". <hr /></blockquote>

Haha!! That was a good one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

Chris Cass
03-18-2005, 11:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> It's almost impossible to practice over 30 minutes at a time.<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <font color="red"> Since he's not responding perhaps he suffers from a short attention span? </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA,

Your so funny. LOL

C.C.~~rotflmao.

Chris Cass
03-18-2005, 11:38 AM
If I'm not gambling, I'm practicing. LOL Seriously, the smart thing to do is what your doing till, you get all the shots down. Then, after you've been to that point then, you can make that 15 mins more valuable than gold.

Regards,

C.C.~~turns on the switch before he walks in the door.

Bob_Jewett
03-18-2005, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> ... If you make a list of say, fifteen things, that you need to work on and spend 4-6 minutes on each five of those things, that's about 30 minutes of intense practice. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I think that Bob Fancher says that trying to work on more than one thing at a time is an inefficient way to learn, psychologically. As I recall, he proposes one major thing per week in a couple of sessions.

Ceulemans has said that when he wanted to understand a shot, he would work at it for half an hour to an hour. This would drive his friends and relatives to distraction, but it is how he learned things. In the end, he was satisfied that he knew the shot completely.