PDA

View Full Version : New cue, Tip Preparation?

highonchai
03-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Hi all, this is my first post, I am a novice pool player, and up until recently I have used cues supplied by the pool hall at which I play. I figure using the 'community cues' will help me figure out what i want in a cue, weight, tip style, etc... I just bought a cue today, just a cheapie to use during a community college pool class that im taking, and something that i can take to pool halls to avoid searching for the perfect, (and straight) cue. The tip seems to be shaped well already, but it also seems to be coated with a clear coat or varnish, probably to help keep the tip together. My question relates to how one should go about shaping, and preparing the cue tip for play? I know that the tip should be scuffed to hold chalk, but what procedure do i use to achieve this? And what else should i know about preparing my cue, especially the tip? Thanks a million!

BigRigTom
03-17-2005, 06:14 PM
You'll get lots of advice on this one so here's mine.
Get your self a little device called the " Ultimate Tip Tool (http://store.yahoo.com/bigrigtoystore/ultiptool.html) " It is great and it has instructions for use. As a novice you will probably want the tip shaped in the curve of a nickle and this tool allows for that...later you may want to increast the curve to that of a dime and it allows for that also. You can the burnish the edge to create that clean black look that helps distinquish the chalked tip from the ferrell.
Read the instructions and you'll learn something about the shaping and why you want it shaped a particular way.
Good luck and good shooting.

Troy
03-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Or you could save yourself $20 minimum by using a piece of 60 grit sandpaper cupped in the palm of your hand to remove the glaze and get the shape (radius) you prefer.
If you decide to get the Ultimate Tip Tool, be very careful when using it on the edge of the tip. I have replaced many ferrules after misuse of this "tool".

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> You'll get lots of advice on this one so here's mine.
Get your self a little device called the " Ultimate Tip Tool (http://store.yahoo.com/bigrigtoystore/ultiptool.html) " It is great and it has instructions for use. As a novice you will probably want the tip shaped in the curve of a nickle and this tool allows for that...later you may want to increast the curve to that of a dime and it allows for that also. You can the burnish the edge to create that clean black look that helps distinquish the chalked tip from the ferrell.
Read the instructions and you'll learn something about the shaping and why you want it shaped a particular way.
Good luck and good shooting.
<hr /></blockquote>

Plummerbutt
03-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I have the "Ultimate Tip Tool" and have to say its the perfect tool. I agree that it can be rough on the ferrel. However, just use alittle caution and common sense and you shouldn't have a problem. Its a great tool and I do recommend it to anyone.

LJC_Cues
03-17-2005, 10:48 PM
I am going to guess by cheapy you bought a cue for 30 bucks or less? What I would do it take it to a local repair man and get the least expensive tip put on. Usually it will be a lepro. probably 8-10 depending on where you live. The lepro tip is a very much better tip than the one that came on the cue. At least this way you will have a decent tip on the cue! Then you can get that tip tool the other are talking about. But with the tip you described you will not be able to do much with it. Its best to just get a new good one put on.
luke

SPetty
03-18-2005, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highonchai:</font><hr> I just bought a cue today, just a cheapie to use during a community college pool class that I'm taking, and something that I can take to pool halls to avoid searching for the perfect, (and straight) cue.

The tip seems to be ... coated with a clear coat or varnish, probably to help keep the tip together.

My question relates to how one should go about shaping, and preparing the cue tip for play? <hr /></blockquote>Howdy highonchai,

The only tips I've ever seen that seemed to be clear-coated were the screw-on tips that came with the beer-themed cues that my relatives so thoughtfully gave me. If you bought a cue with a screw on tip, you'll probably want to try again real soon.

Since you're taking a college class (cool!), you'll probably learn there all about the care a feeding of your tip and your cue. If so, please report back on what they taught you.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-18-2005, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ... the beer-themed cues that my relatives so thoughtfully gave me....
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Perhaps next year they will give you a billiard-themed clock. I'm sure you don't have one of those /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally I just bought this thing called "Homey's pool hall". Apparently some people collect the "homey" series. I don't know.

BTW~~~~19 days and counting /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SPetty
03-18-2005, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>...a billiard-themed clock. I'm sure you don't have one of those /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>No, I don't have one of those! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr>Personally I just bought this thing called "Homey's pool hall". <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifA "thing" like a trampolene? A "thing" like a pine tree? A "thing" like a thumb tack? What kind of "thing"?<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr>BTW~~~~19 days and counting /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>Getting married soon? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-18-2005, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>...a billiard-themed clock. I'm sure you don't have one of those /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>No, I don't have one of those! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="blue">LOL. My pool room sounds like a freakin' clock shop TICK-TICK-TOCK-TOCK-TICK-TOCK. Thank goodness for the stereo. </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr>Personally I just bought this thing called "Homey's pool hall". <hr /></blockquote> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifA "thing" like a trampolene? A "thing" like a pine tree? A "thing" like a thumb tack? What kind of "thing"?

<font color="blue">It's like a figurine thing with 2 black guys shooting pool on a table about the size of a deck of cards. I looked for it online but could not find it. I bought this one from a catalogue</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr>BTW~~~~19 days and counting /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif<hr /></blockquote>Getting married soon? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">19 days w/ no cigarettes. </font color>

highonchai
03-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Wow, thanks for the info. I kind of felt like i had made a mistake buying this cue, but i wanted the case too (for future use with a better cue and storage) and i had 40 bucks in my pocket so i went for it. Its also not really the cue i wanted, so maybe ill sell it to some sucker for more than i payed for it, and get a better cue, after asking some advice from my instructor and all of you helpful people.
Ive actually been in the class for nine or ten weeks (meeting once a week) and the instructor didnt go over cue care, just a few different billiard games, BAGS, table care, and a few shots. Its not a very hands on class, maybe 10min of instruction and then she sends us off to play.

Whats the best 'off the shelf' cue you can buy? like one that you can buy at a sporting goods store for around $50, (im a poor college student.) but maybe i should avoid sporting goods stores?, there arent many billiards stores around here,(Lansing Mich.) one that i know of, and i dont want to walk in without knowing what im looking for. Any help would be wonderful
Thanks again everyone!

BigRigTom
03-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Take a look at these Action Value Cues (http://store.yahoo.com/bigrigtoystore/acvasepocu.html)
They are in your price range and Action makes some pretty good cues.
Under $50 you should hope to be a good looking, straight cue with a decent tip and be sure you done leave it in the car. Hot and Cold temps can really screw up even the best cue. If you need more help feel free to call us at 866-397-4264 ...talk to Eddie....he pretty knowledgible about the economy line as well as some of the better cues we carry.

ryushen21
03-18-2005, 09:06 PM
I know it's more than you said you had, but you can usually find a decent Lucasi on ebay for around $100 and they are great cues. Half of my team plays with Lucasi.

LJC_Cues
03-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Here is a sneaky pete for $47 bucks probably only be like 5-7 bucks for shipping so $54 for a decent cue!! check it out

http://www.cuesight.com/stspbn.html

Billy_Bob
03-19-2005, 08:34 AM
I feel the tip is THE most important part of a cue.

It is the "business" end of the cue.

You may have noticed that playing with house cues with tips that have various curves (tip radius) and have different surface conditions, that they will play differently with some shots.

What I do is the exact opposite of the "playing with various house cues situation". That is to always have a tip on my cue with an *exact* radius (dime shape, nickel shape, or quarter shape depending on what the cue is used for or personal preference). And to always have a tip on my cue with an *exact* surface texture, surface condition, and amount of chalk applied.

The more exact and consistent the tip, the better. So find a tip shaping tool which has a curved "gauge" on it so you can check from time to time that your tip has the shape you use. I use a sandpaper shaper which is a curved piece of plastic and holds a piece of sandpaper. I can hold the edge up to my tip in front of a light to be sure it has the correct radius.

So far as surface condition of the tip, I lightly sand with my shaper about once or twice a week and this keeps the surface "fresh". And I try to chalk before each shot, especially around the edges.

The worst situation to be in is to have a tip which has black shiny patches on it. You are likely to miscue if one of those black shiny areas is what contacts the cue ball. Examine your tip under the light while rotating to be sure chalk is applied all around and there are no black spots - resurface/shape the tip if needed.

Tips will "compress" with use and change shape over time. So say you start out with a nickel shape and never reshape it. Over time it becomes quarter shaped or flatter. Then you get a new tip installed shaped to a nickel radius and it plays differently. You may have heard other players saying they "need to get used to playing with their new tip they just had installed and that is why they are playing poorly". Well if they had kept their tip the same shape at all times, the new tip would play just like the old tip!

Also pick a specific brand of tip and use that. Some tips are soft, medium, or hard. Leather, pig skin, etc. So if you currently have a medium leather, then get a new hard pig skin tip installed, it will play differently.

The name of the game is consistent play - consistent shooting. If you can always play with a tip in the *same* condition, then it will go a long way toward helping you become a more consistent shooter. Have a specific brand name tip installed with a specific hardness. Then when you need to replace it, you can get the same.

So far as cues go, a $20 cue is fine. But many of these are warped. When picking one out at the store, rest the tip on a shelf or something which is "V" shaped, then sight down the cue and rotate it. See if the tip or shaft wobbles while rotating. A straight shaft will not wobble. May need to go through 10 cues before you find a perfectly straight one.

If you are a serious player, may want to experiment with different brands of tips, different hardnesses, and different tip shapes. You will learn a lot about how important that little thing on the end of your cue is...

Okura
03-19-2005, 02:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Or you could save yourself $20 minimum by using a piece of 60 grit sandpaper cupped in the palm of your hand to remove the glaze and get the shape (radius) you prefer.
If you decide to get the Ultimate Tip Tool, be very careful when using it on the edge of the tip. I have replaced many ferrules after misuse of this "tool".

Troy
<hr /></blockquote>
I would agree wholeheartedly. Get the right radius w/sandpaper and your hand.

SecaucusFats
03-20-2005, 08:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LJC_Cues:</font><hr> I am going to guess by cheapy you bought a cue for 30 bucks or less? What I would do it take it to a local repair man and get the least expensive tip put on. Usually it will be a lepro. probably 8-10 depending on where you live. The lepro tip is a very much better tip than the one that came on the cue. At least this way you will have a decent tip on the cue! Then you can get that tip tool the other are talking about. But with the tip you described you will not be able to do much with it. Its best to just get a new good one put on.
luke <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. Have a local cue repair person replace the tip with a LePro or Triangle. A cheap cue with a good tip will work better than the most expensive cue with a lousy tip. Tips with that glazed coating on them are the absolute pits, you can try shaping and scuffing them and they will always hit poorly and be prone to miscue.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-06-2005, 12:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>:A "thing"?

What kind of "thing<hr /></blockquote>

this is the one I have. it's 1/24th scale

http://www.aaglobalind.com/images/retail/collectables/homies19305.jpg

now they have another one

http://www.aaglobalind.com/images/retail/collectables/homies19306.jpg

SPetty
04-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks, Wally. I've never seen these before. I get it now - you're playing with dolls! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif These are cute!

http://www.aaglobalind.com/images/retail/collectables/homies19305.jpg
http://www.aaglobalind.com/images/retail/collectables/homies19306.jpg

(If you surround the URL with the Image tags, you get the pic...)

Wally_in_Cincy
04-07-2005, 05:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Thanks, Wally. I've never seen these before. I get it now - you're playing with dolls! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif These are cute!

<font color="blue">They're not dolls. They're collectibles /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

(If you surround the URL with the Image tags, you get the pic...) <hr /></blockquote>

Well duuuuh !! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here's something to whet your appetite for your upcoming hootenany.

http://planet.tvi.edu/nade2005/Homepage_included_pages/MSS_chile2_270x178.jpg

I usually just post the link because sometimes the images don't appear here properly. Or if somebody has a slow dial-up they take too long to load.