PDA

View Full Version : Checking Out

Mr Ingrate
03-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Yesterday I found out that my cancer has come back with a vengeance. It's all through my liver and into my lungs. It's inoperable and I've got maybe 3 to 6 months. I still have to meet with the Cancer Clinic people to talk management.

I'll be shutting down my web site davespooltools.com (http://www.davespooltools.com) so if you need anything from there you'd better get it downloaded.

I've had a wild and great life. I've spent the last 16 years with a wonderful and amazing woman whom I'm madly in love with. I deeply regret having to leave her.

Looks like I won't make CCB-4.

SPetty
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Dave, that's very sad news. I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity cross paths with you during our too short lives. I know my life is richer for it. You take care.

PQQLK9
03-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Dave I am saddened to hear that and really don't know what to say except that you have touched so many of us. You have many friends here.

Steve Lipsky
03-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Dave, I don't know what to say... may God be with you and let you be as happy as possible. You have made many friends on this board who will never forget you.

You will be in my thoughts...

- Steve

Deeman2
03-18-2005, 10:18 AM
God Bless You Dave. I really appreciate your help and the great stuff on your site. You have always been a gentleman and helped many on this board.

Respectfully,

Dee

Scott Lee
03-18-2005, 10:41 AM
Dave...I had the pleasure of crossing paths with you, soon after I started posting here, when you still lived in S. CA.
I thoroughly enjoyed meeting both you and Joanne, and God Bless you for everything you've done to help our sport! I hope and pray that you are able to enjoy the time you have left with your loved ones. It's been an honor to know you!

Scott Lee

nAz
03-18-2005, 10:45 AM
OMG this is horrible news, Dave I am so sorry to hear this and like everyone else on this and other boards out prayers are with you and yours. If I get to VF tonight I will have a drink in your name... wish you were there.

nasim

Wally_in_Cincy
03-18-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm sorry Dave. You are a good man.

God bless you and your family.

Chris Cass
03-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi Dave,

I too was diagnosed with the same thing. It was called a secondary cancer in my case but that's all irrevelant. Don't listen to one opinion and don't throw in the towel. I've just been through Radiation and now finished 1/2 of the chemo treatments I'm suppose to have.

They've had to take me off for awhile because of how strong that Taxil (cancer drug) really is. It's very tough stuff. I was 126lbs for awhile and kept it there for atleast 6mths. After the chemo so far I weigh 113lbs. I'm really skin and bones but there's alternatives.

There's support out there too. This doesn't have to be and you'll need to change some diets. Grapes search and kill cancer cells and there's brocalli(sp) and many others. I'm currently taking these miricle Mushroom pills and because I'm off the chemo I'm getting stronger.

I refuse to accept leaving and that's final. I plan on playing the Open too. I'm nowhere near that now but A after telling my dr I wasn't giving in and he's not giving up. He's told me he's getting me strong for the IA. State event and giving me everything he can to get me there.

My arms are so weak I can barely hold the cue but I'm playing. Just not for long periods of time. I still have a few weeks and should be close to looking like I belong.

Dave, don't give up you have too many here and others all over the world fighting with you. You can live with this in remission. Sometimes it takes a yr after any kind of treatment. Don't take the word of one dr. They don't know crap and as long as your not ready to give up there's hope.

Many live with this. You'll need to find out stuff and just call me and I'll help you too. There's also many things you can do. My sister Maryann has been living in remission with cancer way worse than both of us and you'll need to speak with her. 24/7 and she's there.

Her dr told her more than any human knows about this and has every possible way out. She's always there fighting so, give me a call.

Take care for now but don't wait and call me.

Respectfully in your corner,

C.C.~~I'll call you and leave my #.

Stretch
03-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Dave, we've never met though i've been a huge fan of yours for years. I'm so sad at this news......I know we'll meet even if it is in the hereafter. Life never stops, it just changes form. St.

pooltchr
03-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Dave....don't think of it as checking out...just think of it as leading the way for those of us who will follow.
We will miss your contributions greatly!
STeve

SecaucusFats
03-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Godspeed, Dave.

My heartfelt sentiments go out to you, and yours. May you one day be reunited with all those you love.

Leviathan
03-18-2005, 04:01 PM
My respects, Sir.

Alan Salmon

BigRigTom
03-18-2005, 04:29 PM
Wow! Dave this is tough news and I can't even imagine how I might deal with it in your place. I hope the Doctor is mistaken and you have to hang around for a long time.
Either way may God bless you and help you accept his will.

jjinfla
03-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Dave,

It has been great reading your posts. You added sanity to an insane world. Enjoy Canada as long as you can but know that you are going to a far better place.

Jake

Troy
03-18-2005, 08:09 PM
Great words of advise Chris. Hang in Dave. We are rooting for you and Chris every day.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Dave,

I too was diagnosed with the same thing. It was called a secondary cancer in my case but that's all irrevelant. Don't listen to one opinion and don't throw in the towel. I've just been through Radiation and now finished 1/2 of the chemo treatments I'm suppose to have.

They've had to take me off for awhile because of how strong that Taxil (cancer drug) really is. It's very tough stuff. I was 126lbs for awhile and kept it there for atleast 6mths. After the chemo so far I weigh 113lbs. I'm really skin and bones but there's alternatives.

There's support out there too. This doesn't have to be and you'll need to change some diets. Grapes search and kill cancer cells and there's brocalli(sp) and many others. I'm currently taking these miricle Mushroom pills and because I'm off the chemo I'm getting stronger.

I refuse to accept leaving and that's final. I plan on playing the Open too. I'm nowhere near that now but A after telling my dr I wasn't giving in and he's not giving up. He's told me he's getting me strong for the IA. State event and giving me everything he can to get me there.

My arms are so weak I can barely hold the cue but I'm playing. Just not for long periods of time. I still have a few weeks and should be close to looking like I belong.

Dave, don't give up you have too many here and others all over the world fighting with you. You can live with this in remission. Sometimes it takes a yr after any kind of treatment. Don't take the word of one dr. They don't know crap and as long as your not ready to give up there's hope.

Many live with this. You'll need to find out stuff and just call me and I'll help you too. There's also many things you can do. My sister Maryann has been living in remission with cancer way worse than both of us and you'll need to speak with her. 24/7 and she's there.

Her dr told her more than any human knows about this and has every possible way out. She's always there fighting so, give me a call.

Take care for now but don't wait and call me.

Respectfully in your corner,

C.C.~~I'll call you and leave my #. <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
03-19-2005, 02:16 AM
Dave,

I'm so sorry, but don't give up, people still beat this dreaded disease. Your contributions to this forum and play pool helped a lot of people. Not to mention all your great humor. I want to thank you for your help and desire to better our sport. We may never meet in person but I wish you the best.

Rod

BillPorter
03-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Dave, I only know you through your posts on this board, but I feel like I have a sense of who you are and some of your qualities. Your intelligence, humor, and goodwill toward your fellow men shine through in the words of your posts. You have made friends and admirers here on this board through your generosity, knowledge, and values.

As I imagine you at your keyboard typing in the post I just read, I'm thinking that one reason for posting is to feel a connectedness, a desire to be heard and understood. Hopefully, from all the replies to your post, you will be reassured that you are being heard, that you are connected to many on this board, and that many CCB'ers have feelings for you.

I'm not wise enough to advise you in this apparently dark hour. As you face what may be difficult times over these next months, just know that others are thinking of you, praying for you, and holding you close to their hearts.

May you find the blessings within the pain....

My Best Regards,

Bill Porter

stickman
03-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Dave, I don't trust very many doctors. I don't think they know any better than than anyone else when when it's time. I feel certain God knows. I pray that God will give you the time you want.

Jim

dg-in-centralpa
03-19-2005, 06:03 PM
Dave- while we've never met, I've enjoyed your posts and your contributions to this board. I know you face an uphill battle, but don't give up.

DG

tateuts
03-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Dave,

Thanks for letting us know. That must be the toughest post imaginable. While we personally don't know each other, I feel like we do from the many posts and I know you've been very supportive to the CCB members.

We are your friends, of course, and we will be pulling for you, hoping for you, and thinking of you all the time.

Chris

DickLeonard
03-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Dave I have been rooting for Chris Cass, now I am going to add you to my list and if you must go, prepare the way for the rest of us.

I have been on the board since the begining of the Old Board and I have always enjoyed your posts.

The Best to the Love of Your Life, may your memories together keep a smile on her face till you meet again. ####

9 Ball Girl
03-20-2005, 09:21 PM
Dave, I just want to echo what everyone else is saying here. I had the pleasure of meeting you during the Open of '03 and you're just further proof to me that life just isn't fair. Take care, my friend, and always know this, never, never, never give up.

Brian in VA
03-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Dave,

I had a chance to meet you at the CCB Open tournament in 2003. I remember thinking what a wonderful, happy full of life fellow who just seems to enjoy the company of everyone. I hope what days you have left are filled with all the joy and love you can find. Know that we'll miss you if you don't make it to CCB 4 but I'll raise a glass to you and your lovely bride along with everyone that's there.

Brian in VA

catscradle
03-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Dave,
I only know you from your posts and at that only recently. I do hope that something miraculously changes and if it does not that you have an easy exit with your loved ones present.
Peace.

Eric.
03-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Dave,

I'm sorry and saddened to hear this news. I hope you keep fighting the good fight. Like Yogi Berra said; "It ain't over til it's over".

Eric &gt;"90% of this game is 50% mental"-Yogi Berra

Rich R.
03-21-2005, 12:30 PM
I learned of this news, from a CCB friend, while at Valley Forge.

Dave, words can't describe how sad I am about your illness.
Although we have only spent a short amount of time in your presence, it was enough time to learn that you are one of the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.
I'm sitting here hoping, and wishing, that the doctors are wrong and you will recover shortly.

If there is anything at all that Cathy and I can do for you and Joanne, please feel free to contact me.

Barbara
03-21-2005, 01:05 PM
Dave,

I heard the news at the Expo and this deeply saddens me. You were the first CCBer I met. Vegas - remember? I looked up your match and went to your table and hoped your wife didn't mind a totally strange woman hugging her husband.

I'll miss you and your humor.

Peace to you and your family.

Barbara

Brad
03-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Dave,

While I very much wish to echo the sentiments of other posters, I felt the need to express a few thoughts of my own.

I have been both an observer and poster on this board since it's inception (Under another moniker). And I want to tell you that over the years I have grown to respect your posts VERY much. I will rifle through various postings, until I come across yours. Your post are some of the most well thought out, honest, and informational posts I've come across.

I've read your bio/resume', your web page, and even your cookbook, and I must say, you are one of the most amazing men I've almost met. You have lived a very full life. Obviousely, everone here is shook up at the news. But, you can be very proud of who you are, and what you've done with your life. I can appreciate your comments about leaving your wife. I cannot imagine having to say goodbye to mine. I've always hoped that when the day came that one of us would leave, I would not want to see my wife go through that pain, but rather I.

I will say a prayer for you Dave.

caedos
03-22-2005, 04:03 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your condition. I am glad to see Chris Cass' post about continuing to fight in different ways. No one gets out alive, but we don't have to go quietly. My mother passed away from aggressive cancer last month - she had 62 wonderful years and it will never be the same without her. Never is a long damn time /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I remember the CAT scans my folks talked about where they fed her sugar water of some kind to make the cancer active and more visible on the screening. They made the cancer happy and well fed to grow faster so they could see it happening! There was more that could be done, and maybe it was never too late. Have as much fun as you can (given the situation), and if changing diet and alternative therapy is within your grasp I hope you pursue it. I'm glad you've lived long enough to appreciate that every day above ground is a good day and a gift. I should be so lucky to get well beyond my current 33 years of age. I will miss your posts on this board should they come to an end. Take care and be good.

Respectfully,

Carl Oswald - North Dallas area of Texas

cueball1950
03-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Dave, i am so sad to hear this. It has been my pleaseure to meet you and your lovely wife and to have had the time we all shared with you both. Please keep the faith and keep praying. The power of positive thinking and prayer can really help. We all love you on here and will keep the prayers coming.Keep strong my friend.............mike.

Kato
03-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Dave, I'm terribly sorry to hear this news. You'll be in my prayers.

R.J.

Keith Talent
03-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Dave,

I don't know you and haven't known what to say, though I've enjoyed your wit around here. You're facing this with a great deal of courage and that's inspiring, in any case. Am thinking of you and wishing you the best ...

catscradle
03-23-2005, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote caedos:</font><hr> ... I am glad to see Chris Cass' post about continuing to fight in different ways. No one gets out alive, but we don't have to go quietly...
<hr /></blockquote>

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas

Ralph S.
03-23-2005, 12:31 PM
I am so sorry to hear of the terrible news Dave. You will be on my prayer list.

Voodoo Daddy
03-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Dave...my mom is going through her 5th re-occurance with Cancer. The Dr had her dead in 1973 and now at 67 tells me that she will not give in to guess-tamations. I know you have had your days with cancer as several others on this board...keep the faith and never give in.

theinel
03-23-2005, 04:12 PM
I'm very sorry to hear your news Dave. Thanks for all of the great stuff on your site. Best of luck.

houseman
03-23-2005, 09:06 PM
Dave my friend,
Let me say thanks for all the great software, charts, etc.
Just like in a game of pool, never give up my friend.
We will say a little prayer for you. god bless you

Mickey
the houseman

BlindPlayer
04-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Dear Dave,

This is always sad news - our prayers go out to you, your wife and your family.

For Compfort:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life. For God sent NOT His Son into the world to condemn the world but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16,17

May the God of all comfort be your stay David.

JMD in VA
04-05-2005, 05:50 PM
My friend I am so sorry to hear this news. You and your family are in my prayers. Thaks for your help in the past with your tournament software and answering any questions I had. You are a good man and please keep us posted on how you are doing. Thanl you for being a great person that added to our sport and once again you are in my prayer.

JMD in VA
1 Peter 5:7

Gayle in MD
04-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Terribly sorry Dave. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Gayle in Md.

Irish
04-07-2005, 06:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Dave....don't think of it as checking out...just think of it as leading the way for those of us who will follow.

STeve <hr /></blockquote>

That is an amazing way of looking at it and a great thing to say.