PDA

View Full Version : Gamblers nightmare large CB vs small cb

06-03-2002, 02:26 PM
I live in a small town. We have been playing on barboxes for years. Hence, we have been playing with the big rock exclusively. I have managed to maintain quite a little part-time job thru pool. It was lovely. No second boss to check in with, no added stress. Then low and behold one miserable day, some idiont entreprenuer decides our town needs a real sports lounge with nine foot tables. What a jerk. Ok the distance is something to conquer but I've decided to shorten my grip and bridge for added control and I'm doing ok. But damn that little rock. I mean you can barely touch the thing with draw and she's all up under your chin. When it stuns it really stuns. It's like dealing with a mouse after tangling with a lion. Can someone tell me a few simililar and disimilar occurences in behavior between the red circle cue ball and the tavern ball. If I don't get some help soon I might have to look for a part-timer. I refuse to put down money when I am not certain as to how th cb will behave. Then, I would be really gambling.

06-03-2002, 02:32 PM
How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice.

bigalerickson
06-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Perfect practice makes perfect play.

You use a mousetrap instead of a gun.

Ralph S.
06-03-2002, 06:56 PM
I am not a rocket scientist, but I think it would most likely be due to the difference in mass and weight. Try lessoning the power output in your stroke seeing as there is less weight in the smaller rock. Hope this helps.
Ralph S.

06-03-2002, 07:30 PM
Ok this is a very simple way of doing it but i think it will be easy to adjust this way.
Just try a stopshot with the heavy cueball at about medium speed.
See how much you hit the cueball below centre.
If this is hard to see just compare how much different it looks from the same stopshot with the normal cueball.
Then when you play with a normal cueball on the 9 table just line up like you usualy would with the fat cueball but move the cuetip up with the distance you just messured.
This will be pretty accurate most of the time i think.

06-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Mr. Oh Sh#!t...
I've always played on 9 footers and I hated BarBoxes...BUT the only place I can play in tournaments unless I travel pretty far is on BB's...So you know what...I changed my attitude towards them and Now I LOVE Barboxes...(If you can't beat them...join them...) and my game has improved...Learn to love your 9 footers...learn how you can manipulate the little white ball around them like its on a string...that white ball is your friend...trust me...

You will be amazed how well you can shoot position with hardly any extra power in your stroke...Moving "whitey" should be like drinking a fine wine..."sip it" don't "chug it"...

good luck...

Ron C in SC

heater451
06-04-2002, 08:33 AM
You're generally going to see more cue ball and cushion action, and a lot more roll on a smooth gentle-to-medium shots, on the 9-footers (in scale to the table size).

Ease up on the power a bit--you'll have to practice, because you might have a confidence issue, when it comes to this, which will affect your accuracy.

Also, practice and expect to play more multirail/speed-control postition shots, and rely less on your straight-draw. If you are angle-drawing (draw on cut shots), you will get good movement off of the object ball, but may wind up yanking the cue ball back farther than desired (again, more action/roll).

And, don't underestimate the amount of action you'll get with a slow-rolling/fastspinning ball taking the rail. This is hard to exemplify, but you'll understand it when you see it.