PDA

View Full Version : Table Opinion

ejasons
03-19-2005, 04:46 PM
There is a local pool hall (Gresham, OR) who is selling four 9-foot Brunswick "imitation" tables. The lettering on the side says "Pro-Search". Has anyone ever heard of them and/or can offer an opinion?

I searched through every forum, and through Google, and nothing came up, so there is perhaps a better-known name for these tables.

The tables do look *very* similar to the Brunswicks that they have there. I played for an hour on one, and it seemed to play quite well.

Thanks...

Jason

christopheradams
03-20-2005, 12:10 AM
It's called pro-search because they searched for a pro to endorse it and they couldn't find one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
Is the table slate? And how much? If its more than the tables they sell at Sears or Dick' sporting goods and its not slate I would compare it to those tables before you make your decision or try to find a good quaility second hand slate pool table. My dad picked up a nice slate 7 footer(not barbox type table) for less than $350.
If your just looking for something to bang around on until you can get a slate table, then the table will probably do but if you want something that will last and play consistenly, go for the slate and try to get simonis 860 cloth on it!

ejasons
03-20-2005, 12:22 AM
It is a nine-foot table, 1" slate. It sure seems to play like the Brunswicks that it is trying to imitate. The ball return, etc. looks mostly identical. I crawled underneath of both the PS and the Brunswick, and they were constructed *very* similarly. The table in the pool hall did have Simonis 860 cloth.

Out here on the eat coast, we don't have the wide variety of 9-foot tables for sale that those on the east coast seem to have. A Brunswick GC1 recently sold for $2000, and there were lots of takers at that price. This table seems like a good compromise. I realize that the resale wouldn't be (nearly) as good, but it is selling for $1300, while the GC2 that it imitates is >$2500.

I was hoping that someone might have experience with these tables, and especially could mention who actually makes them. I was surprised to find absolutely nothing from an internet search...

Jason

Wally_in_Cincy
03-21-2005, 07:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ejasons:</font><hr>

...it is selling for $1300, while the GC2 that it imitates is &gt;$2500.
<hr /></blockquote>

Never heard of them but for $1300, and you said it plays good, I don't see how you can go wrong.

I assume they have been played on a lot in the public room and still play good. That tells you something right there.

BigRigTom
03-21-2005, 05:11 PM
The name on the table don't mean squat unless you think you will resell it.
I recently sold a "No Name" 8 foot standard (44x88 playing surface)table for $250 because I had just bought an 8 foot professional (46 x 92 playing surface) Brunswick Sierra.
I too searched everywhere for the Brunswick Sierra and couldn't find anything on it. I had to go look at the table to see if I thought it was worth $250..it was...I bought it on the spot.
The guy who recovered it for me could not believe I only paid $250 for it and told me if I every wanted to move up to a full 9 foot table he would sell mine for $1000.
Now that may be an empty promise but it made me feel good about my purchase and makes for a good story...he he /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Tables are a lot like cues...if you like the way it plays...who cares who made it? If it is poor quality and plays like Shi*! then who would care that it says "BRUNSWICK" on it (or Shon if it were a cue)?
If you like it $1300 is a steal and if you don't like it no price is low enough! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif