PDA

View Full Version : Speed Control

recoveryjones
03-21-2005, 12:46 AM
I've learned a lot about pool the last few years from books, videos,this forum and long hours of hard practice doing various drills.My game has improved considerably as a result.I was obsessed with spinning the ball, using english on a way too many shots. My specialty is check sidings.While some shots look impressive, they are not condusive to winning pool.In Phil Cappelles book "play your best nine ball" he states that most pro's only spin the ball on 20 percent of their shots.Does anyone agree with Phil's analyses.

I've learned a lot of the angles,shape routes,however, I'm still enthusiastic to learn much more. I want to get around the table with as little english as possible.I spent two years obbsessed with english, now I need to spend perhaps an equal amount of time learning to get around the table without it.I'd like to pull in out and use it only when I need to get back on line.Everyone knows that running english increases the speed coming off the rails, while check english does the opposite, at least off the first rail.In summary speed control is much easier when done without factoring in english.

When I attempt to run out a table and my run ends prematurally, it's usually because of speed control first, wrong angle of approach second and missing the pot third.Jose Paricia once said that most players who practice drills practice everything except speed control. In the article featuring Jose, he stated that he rarely saw anyone practice it.

If anyone can suggest some good drills for speed control, that would be appreciated.Feel free to illustrate on the Wei table. Also your thought's on using english and Phil's 20% factor or this topic in general would be appreciated and interesting.In your game, what percentage of shots do you use english and how succesful are you?Do you feel that perhaps like me you might be using too much, too often?RJ

ps. Earl Strickland said, "The pro's win because they spin the ball."I'm glad to some extent, I've learned to do so, however, I would like to win more often.

jjinfla
03-21-2005, 05:34 AM
I believe the Monk says the same thing about english. And maybe Bert and Jerry too. Anyway, they all say that most people use way too much english when they do use it.

Jake

Wally_in_Cincy
03-21-2005, 07:19 AM
The book "Black Belt Billiards" is mostly speed control drills. I recommend it highly.

christopheradams
03-21-2005, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> The book "Black Belt Billiards" is mostly speed control drills. I recommend it highly. <hr /></blockquote>

Is this the Black belt billiards you recommend?
http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/about.html
If so I may pick it up.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-21-2005, 08:41 AM
that's it

woody_968
03-21-2005, 02:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr>
Is this the Black belt billiards you recommend?
http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/about.html
If so I may pick it up. <hr /></blockquote>

I will also recommend this book /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BigRigTom
03-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Jimmy Reid has a drill on speed control which he demostrates on one of his videos. I really like it but you almost have to see it to fully grasp the technique. The point in the drill is that you have to develop your own feel for speed and if you listen to the sound made when the que ball hits the object ball in various situations it is great feed back on how hard you hit that shot. Of course draw and follow affect the result but the sound also changes in those cases and if you have even a fair ear for sound you'll hear the difference...I found it a great aid in developing the muscle memory necessary to control your speed.

I think I will also get that book "Black Belt Billiards" sound like a good one.

recoveryjones
03-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks I got the Jimmy Reid vids a long time ago.I'll brush the dust off them and check them out. Thanks evryone else for their suggestions.RJ

theinel
03-25-2005, 10:17 PM
I couldn't put a percentage on it but I will say that if the pros dont need to spin the ball for some good reason they dont. I watch the best players in my area play all the time and am amazed at how often they use speed control with top or bottom and get somewhere that I would have used english for.

That said, and this probably relates to Earls quote, they can all spin the hell out of the ball and still control it which is what lets them recover from safeties and continue runs when they do get out of line.

One
03-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Drills practice routine only, they don't practice skill!

The best way to practice speed control is a SKID SHOT. Use draw and focus on a spot on the cloth where you want the cueball to skid to. After the cueball stops skidding it will start rolling naturally. After you can do this use less draw, eventually you will be able to "see" the skid with top spin on the cueball.
You practice this when playing normal games, you should focus on the skid on EVERY shot.
Advanced cueball control article (http://poollogics.port5.com/articles/one/cueballcontrol.htm)

theinel
03-26-2005, 05:21 AM
There is some seriously flawed logic on the site (http://poollogics.port5.com) referenced in this post. Maybe it's humor that I am missing but this stuff is almost worthy of a PLONK.

Fred Agnir
03-26-2005, 08:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> I couldn't put a percentage on it but I will say that if the pros dont need to spin the ball for some good reason they dont. <hr /></blockquote>People say this all the time, but anyone who goes to the highest level tournaments (Derby City, etc.) will quickly see that the very top players (Hall, Strickland, Reyes, Varner, et al.) put more english than the average player. And further, it's actually less percentage for them to stay on the vertical center.

Now, I'm just one observer, and I've been observing this ever since the first time I ever read someone saying that the pros stay near the center. What have other people truly observed?

Fred

Rich R.
03-26-2005, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> People say this all the time, but anyone who goes to the highest level tournaments (Derby City, etc.) will quickly see that the very top players (Hall, Strickland, Reyes, Varner, et al.) put more english than the average player. And further, it's actually less percentage for them to stay on the vertical center.

Now, I'm just one observer, and I've been observing this ever since the first time I ever read someone saying that the pros stay near the center. What have other people truly observed? <hr /></blockquote>
Fred, I have seen the same as you. In fact, if you watch Reyes, it will be extremely difficult to find a shot that he doesn't spin.

One
03-26-2005, 04:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> There is some seriously flawed logic on the site (http://poollogics.port5.com) referenced in this post. Maybe it's humor that I am missing but this stuff is almost worthy of a PLONK.
<hr /></blockquote>
What are the flaws?

One
03-26-2005, 05:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> There is some seriously flawed logic on the site (http://poollogics.port5.com) referenced in this post. Maybe it's humor that I am missing but this stuff is almost worthy of a PLONK.
<hr /></blockquote>
Imagine a professional chess player who thinks 1 hour before he makes a move; he decides to sacrifice the queen. An insect is watching the game and thinks for 30 seconds and starts arguing that the move was seriously flawed.

The one who wrote that article has been thinking half his life, have you?

Rod
03-26-2005, 05:44 PM
They spin the ball, always have, always will. Most also play a variety of games like one pocket where they need to spin the ball. I think it's fine that amature players think they need to play center ball. In the world of strong players though, that isn't happening.

Rod

nhp
03-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Oh man, I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Your site is a joke, right? Your persona is a joke too, right? Absoloutely hilarious.

nhp
03-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Quote from your site:

[ QUOTE ]
Almost everyone of the pros play the wrong way. This guide will show you how to play the correct way so you will improve your cueball control. The only requirement is that you need knowledge of physics and that you play by using logic instead of only experience. Your accuracy also needs to be good enough.

<hr /></blockquote>

LOL, the pros play the WRONG way? Is that why they are so good? So I am guessing in your rating system you invented, you are a skill level "9" or "10"? So you can beat any pro out there, am I right? Please stop, my stomach already hurts so bad from laughing, but I can't help it!

tenacjed
03-26-2005, 07:07 PM
"I got a fever" is classic I'm dying here

I practice speed drills with targets over and over and over. It is all feel that can only be tought through endless hours of practice and playing. Even when I'm just bangin em around I always try to have a purpose. All the books and videos in the world can't replace practice

One
03-26-2005, 07:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Quote from your site:

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Almost everyone of the pros play the wrong way. This guide will show you how to play the correct way so you will improve your cueball control. The only requirement is that you need knowledge of physics and that you play by using logic instead of only experience. Your accuracy also needs to be good enough.

<hr /></blockquote>

LOL, the pros play the WRONG way? Is that why they are so good? So I am guessing in your rating system you invented, you are a skill level "9" or "10"? So you can beat any pro out there, am I right? Please stop, my stomach already hurts so bad from laughing, but I can't help it! <hr /></blockquote>

If you think the pros are good players there must be something wrong with you. I have better cueball control than Efren Reyes but I would probably lose every match because I don't play for winning.

That's right, I am only a 9 when playing my best.

One
03-26-2005, 07:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Oh man, I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Your site is a joke, right? Your persona is a joke too, right? Absoloutely hilarious. <hr /></blockquote>
It's not a joke. What is funny with my site?

pooltchr
03-26-2005, 08:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> I have better cueball control than Efren Reyes <hr /></blockquote>

Well, You certainly have a bigger ego than Efren! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

This has to be the funniest thing I have read on this forum in a year!
Steve

Stretch
03-26-2005, 09:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> I have better cueball control than Efren Reyes <hr /></blockquote>

Well, You certainly have a bigger ego than Efren! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

It's only Patrick. He's a few clowns short of a circus. St.

nhp
03-26-2005, 09:42 PM
This guy gives Efren the 5-out in ego size. What kind of goofball quotes himself? He's got some serious issues.

One
03-26-2005, 11:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> I have better cueball control than Efren Reyes <hr /></blockquote>

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

I don't have ego, I just speak the truth. I know someone else than me with better cueball control than Efren Reyes, it is nothing special with it. "The best players are the ones you will never see" - One

I really think I am just a beginner at pool. Saying "I have better cueball control than Efren Reyes" isn't saying that I think I'm good. I am a beginner and Efren Reyes is worse!

nhp
03-26-2005, 11:10 PM
You can't play a lick and you know it. Loooooooser

highsea
03-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Oh, God, this is hilarious. How to improve your cue with markings...

http://poollogics.port5.com/articles/mri/improvingcue.htm

[ QUOTE ]
...After further experimentation I have improved the markings on the shaft. This is what I use now: Red for up, green for down, blue and purple for the sides. On the blue "side" lines I have a red arrow pointing towards the long red line. On the bottom I have a red horizontal line (without arrows) across the green line (like a cross), you can also use a circle at the bottom to make it less similar to the arrows at the sides. The red upwards line is only red instead of half blue and half red as before, now I use a blue or red square and have the full red line on top of it. This makes it easier to see while making the red line thin in the front for improved accuracy (if you need it).

I also have letters to make it even easier, I have found that these letters may be easier and faster to read than the colors. I use black color for the letters and write them at the end of each line, furthest away from the joint, they are "D" for warp going DOWN, "L" for warp going to the LEFT, which also means that the red UP line is 90 degrees to the left of "L". Also "R" is the opposite of "L" if you didn't know. I don't have any "U" for upwards because that would be distracting.<hr /></blockquote>Kind of takes the red dot concept to a whole new level... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nhp
03-27-2005, 12:32 AM
HIGHSEA welcome back!!! Where you been man? The intelligence level of this board has been down since you've been gone, as you can see (One).

highsea
03-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Hey Nate,
Thanks, Man. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I've been checking in now and then. Just reading some of One's stuff, I'm LMAO.

Haven't been playing a lot lately, only about once a week, and my games going in the toilet. Lol. Thought I should catch up on the threads here and see if I can get some inspiration...haha, maybe I should try a different thread. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-CM

One
03-27-2005, 01:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> What kind of goofball quotes himself? He's got some serious issues. <hr /></blockquote>
"I quote myself because there is nobody else worth quoting" - One

One
03-27-2005, 01:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Loooooooser <hr /></blockquote>
I would be ashamed to be winner.

Stretch
03-27-2005, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Loooooooser <hr /></blockquote>
<hr /></blockquote>

Fortunately, you'll never have to be ashamed. And you can take comfort in the knowledge that your teachings will spare your students the same gastly fate. St.

nhp
03-27-2005, 06:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Loooooooser <hr /></blockquote>
<hr /></blockquote>

So you play pool to lose? The object of every game is to win, so why do you play pool?

poolturtle
03-27-2005, 10:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Imagine a professional chess player who thinks 1 hour before he makes a move; he decides to sacrifice the queen. An insect is watching the game and thinks for 30 seconds and starts arguing that the move was seriously flawed.

The one who wrote that article has been thinking half his life, have you? <hr /></blockquote>

Imagine a NASA engineer who thinks for years about the design of the shuttle Challenger before sending it to space. It takes off and explodes in mid-air. An onlooker is watching the takeoff, and upon seeing the explosion, decides there might have been some flaw in NASA's thinking.

Time of study is irrelevant if the course of study is flawed.

One
03-27-2005, 05:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Loooooooser <hr /></blockquote>
<hr /></blockquote>

So you play pool to lose? The object of every game is to win, so why do you play pool? <hr /></blockquote>

I play pool to become as good as possible, only perfection is acceptable. I choose more difficult shots to make it harder so I will improve! Those shots are totally unnecessary for 9-ball but I still do them. If I would play to win I would choose the shot that is the easiest for the best overall chances of winning the match.

The reason why the pros suck at pool is because they play it the easy way. They don't challenge themselves, they are thinking "If it ain't broken don't fix it", which is very wrong because it will always be broken if it isn't optimal.

So if I would win it would mean I don't challenge myself with more difficult shots and I suck at pool because of that.

One
03-27-2005, 05:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

The one who wrote that article has been thinking half his life, have you? <hr /></blockquote>

Imagine a NASA engineer who thinks for years about the design of the shuttle Challenger before sending it to space. It takes off and explodes in mid-air. An onlooker is watching the takeoff, and upon seeing the explosion, decides there might have been some flaw in NASA's thinking.

Time of study is irrelevant if the course of study is flawed. <hr /></blockquote>
Scientists are stupid, they just have practical knowledge and experience. They just make experiments and "discover" things, you don't need much intelligence for it. Actually you need more stupidity for it to have enough dedication to do the job every day, which is what I could never do. The same applies for pool, I play pool once per month and I still keep improving while others play every day and don't improve at all!

Mikey2377
03-27-2005, 07:08 PM
LMAO!! This is amazing. Let me get this straight. Efren sucks,NASA scientists are stupid and you are the only "One" who has the answers. How many of us would love to be a fly on the wall in this guys pool hall. You have better cue ball control than Efren but would lose because you do not try to win because you want to challenge yourself? So, do you purposely leave yourself a tough shot so that you can "challenge yourself". I am going to use that excuse the next time I blow a leave. Well I just want to thank you for documenting this lunacy so all of us can get a good laugh.

DebraLiStarr
03-27-2005, 07:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

Time of study is irrelevant if the course of study is flawed. <hr /></blockquote>
Scientists are stupid, they just have practical knowledge and experience. They just make experiments and "discover" things, you don't need much intelligence for it. Actually you need more stupidity for it to have enough dedication to do the job every day, which is what I could never do. The same applies for pool, I play pool once per month and I still keep improving while others play every day and don't improve at all!
<hr /></blockquote>
http://www.geocities.com/dli41075/spam5.gif

One
03-27-2005, 08:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mikey2377:</font><hr> So, do you purposely leave yourself a tough shot so that you can "challenge yourself".<hr /></blockquote>
Not really, I attempt for optimal position with the cueball 12 cm from the object ball. Then I go around the table with as many rails as possible while still being able to get the 12 cm distance position on the next ball.
On many shots I position myself so I can make a thin cut, this gives more options to choose from, I can shoot hard or soft.

If I try to play with "easy pro" position I can play faster because my stroke doesn't have to be as accurate... I play faster than anyone I have seen. But when I challenge myself I take a minute every shot and use a more accurate stroke.

GeraldG
03-27-2005, 08:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mikey2377:</font><hr> So, do you purposely leave yourself a tough shot so that you can "challenge yourself".<hr /></blockquote>
Not really, I attempt for optimal position with the cueball 12 cm from the object ball. Then I go around the table with as many rails as possible while still being able to get the 12 cm distance position on the next ball.
On many shots I position myself so I can make a thin cut, this gives more options to choose from, I can shoot hard or soft.

If I try to play with "easy pro" position I can play faster because my stroke doesn't have to be as accurate... I play faster than anyone I have seen. But when I challenge myself I take a minute every shot and use a more accurate stroke. <hr /></blockquote>

What color is the sky in your world?

One
03-27-2005, 09:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr>

What color is the sky in your world? <hr /></blockquote>
My world doesn't have a sky.

nhp
03-28-2005, 03:38 AM
Wait a minute One, you're contradicting yourself here. You play better than Efren, but you would lose to him because you purposely go for tough shots to 'challenge yourself', but you are a skill level '9' in your own rating system, which eons better than any pro, and almost perfect. Doesn't that mean that you should make all of those tough shots with ease? So how would you lose to Efren, much less ANYONE if you are making all of these tough shots?

Your website is so pathetically flawed and self-contradicting I literally laughed out loud at many of the stuff you included. I really think that this is a joke, and you are putting on some kind of act, but why would someone dedicate so much time into a stupid joke? It's either that or you really are insane. By the way, if you are going to respond with "The whole world is insane, I am the only sane person" that also qualifies you as insane.

One
03-28-2005, 04:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Wait a minute One, you're contradicting yourself here. You play better than Efren, but you would lose to him because you purposely go for tough shots to 'challenge yourself', but you are a skill level '9' in your own rating system, which eons better than any pro, and almost perfect. Doesn't that mean that you should make all of those tough shots with ease? So how would you lose to Efren, much less ANYONE if you are making all of these tough shots?

Your website is so pathetically flawed and self-contradicting I literally laughed out loud at many of the stuff you included. I really think that this is a joke, and you are putting on some kind of act, but why would someone dedicate so much time into a stupid joke? It's either that or you really are insane. By the way, if you are going to respond with "The whole world is insane, I am the only sane person" that also qualifies you as insane.
<hr /></blockquote>
"If you don't contradict yourself you are narrow minded" - One

Tell me what is pathetically flawed, so I can change it or explain it.

One
03-28-2005, 04:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> By the way, if you are going to respond with "The whole world is insane, I am the only sane person" that also qualifies you as insane.
<hr /></blockquote>
So you are saying everyone who tells the truth are insane?

theinel
03-28-2005, 04:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>

I've been thinking all of my life.

Unfortunately thinking doesn't grant correctness or anything else for that matter. World class experts (not me) in every field disagree, quite often vehemently, on the most important and/or basic of things. I'd say take a look at the US Congress but that may be a very bad example. Try a look at quantum physicists. An often cited statistic says that as many as 70% of quantum physicists believe that there are an infinite number of universes with a new one spawned every time an observation (or decision) is made. The rest completely disagree. Right or wrong the universe(s) is(are) what it is(they are). Our perceptions are our own.

I have no real point here but I couldn't resist a response to the referenced quote above. The table is the table. Many know and many don't. Many can and many can't. In between the rest of get by, often on nothing more than love of the game.

theinel
03-28-2005, 04:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr>I got a fever....and the only prescription is...MORE COWBELL!!! <hr /></blockquote>

We all need to give One a prescription for the Cow Bell cause he has definitely left the pasture.

P.S. Nhp, I have a clip of that SNL skit and it's so funny that it makes me hurt every time I see it.

GeraldG
03-28-2005, 04:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> What kind of goofball quotes himself? He's got some serious issues. <hr /></blockquote>
"I quote myself because there is nobody else worth quoting" - One

<hr /></blockquote>
Reading your posts in here and your web site, I have to say:

This is some of the most narcissistic, disjointed, nonsensical ramblings I've ever seen. If it's a joke, OK...you went to a lot of trouble for it and I can see where it might be mildy amusing in that context. If it's not a joke, you need help. Serious professional help.

One
03-28-2005, 05:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> This is some of the most narcissistic, disjointed, nonsensical ramblings I've ever seen. If it's a joke, OK...you went to a lot of trouble for it and I can see where it might be mildy amusing in that context. If it's not a joke, you need help. Serious professional help. <hr /></blockquote>

Tell me what is wrong with my site, please.

Stretch
03-28-2005, 06:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> This is some of the most narcissistic, disjointed, nonsensical ramblings I've ever seen. If it's a joke, OK...you went to a lot of trouble for it and I can see where it might be mildy amusing in that context. If it's not a joke, you need help. Serious professional help. <hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

Why bother? Your nuts. Obviously you don't play the game like everyone else.....because you can't. You are delusional. But don't worry, it's quite a common problem with people who can't face reality....they just create thier own. Your web sight is a glowing tribute to your fear of the truth. St

One
03-28-2005, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> This is some of the most narcissistic, disjointed, nonsensical ramblings I've ever seen. If it's a joke, OK...you went to a lot of trouble for it and I can see where it might be mildy amusing in that context. If it's not a joke, you need help. Serious professional help. <hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

Why bother? Your nuts. Obviously you don't play the game like everyone else.....because you can't. You are delusional. But don't worry, it's quite a common problem with people who can't face reality....they just create thier own. Your web sight is a glowing tribute to your fear of the truth. St <hr /></blockquote>
You are talking of yourself. There is nobody else as obcessed with truth as I am. If you would know all the things I do in reaching truth you would think I am more insane than you already think I am.

You can't accept the truth that I am telling the truth. You can't accept you are talking to the best pool player ever lived because you are scared to get disappointed if I am lying. You don't want to make a fool of yourself. But I am unable to lie, I rather get tortured than lie. If someone would pull gun on my head, I would not be able to lie if it saved my life, so telling the truth would make him pull the trigger. This is who I am.

One
03-28-2005, 07:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>I attempt for optimal position with the cueball 12 cm from the object ball. Then I go around the table with as many rails as possible while still being able to get the 12 cm distance position on the next ball. <hr /></blockquote>
Here are some videos with long distance position. But these were not unnecessary shots, they were the optimal choices to reach the 12 cm distance position.

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-4.rail.optimal.position.(2005.03.08).avi 660 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2005.01.04).avi 504 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online)Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2004.10.24).avi 282 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Replay.top.view.Fraps)Concentrator-6.rail.position-september2004.avi 148 KB

XviD codec (http://www.koepi.org/XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe) (To play videos)

GeraldG
03-28-2005, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> This is some of the most narcissistic, disjointed, nonsensical ramblings I've ever seen. If it's a joke, OK...you went to a lot of trouble for it and I can see where it might be mildy amusing in that context. If it's not a joke, you need help. Serious professional help. <hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

No, "One", I'm not going to do that. For one thing I would need to quote nearly everything in your website and every post you've made in this thread to show you all the flaws. That would be a collossal waste of time and server space, because you are obviously so delusional that you wouldn't see or accept the flaws anyway. For another thing, there is nothing to be gained from continuing to debate with you and I'm certainly not going to go down a path of making fun of you. If you're running a joke here, then I've had all of it I want to see. If you seriously are as delusional as your writings would indicate, then I can't help you by making fun of you. Likewise I can't help you by continuing to debate with you. If I can't help you, I'll just leave you alone.

DebraLiStarr
03-28-2005, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>I attempt for optimal position with the cueball 12 cm from the object ball. Then I go around the table with as many rails as possible while still being able to get the 12 cm distance position on the next ball. <hr /></blockquote>
Here are some videos with long distance position. But these were not unnecessary shots, they were the optimal choices to reach the 12 cm distance position.

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-4.rail.optimal.position.(2005.03.08).avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-4.rail.optimal.position.(2005.03.08).avi) 660 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2005.01.04).avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2005.01.04).avi) 504 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online)Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2004.10.24).avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online)Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2004.10.24).avi) 282 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Replay.top.view.Fraps)Concentrator-6.rail.position-september2004.avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Replay.top.view.Fraps)Concentrator-6.rail.position-september2004.avi) 148 KB

XviD codec (http://www.koepi.org/XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe) (To play videos) <hr /></blockquote>

Dear Mr. One
Here is my take on your web site.

http://www.teesnthings.com/ProductImages/funny-t-shirts/novelty-t-shirts/Thumb_point-of-view-ass-t-shirt.jpg

Obviously you like teaching, so I figured I would give you a class too!!!

http://www.geocities.com/dli41075/anqu_lg.gif

If you find my message irritating...

http://www.geocities.com/dli41075/bmoon.gif

One
03-28-2005, 09:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> This is some of the most narcissistic, disjointed, nonsensical ramblings I've ever seen. If it's a joke, OK...you went to a lot of trouble for it and I can see where it might be mildy amusing in that context. If it's not a joke, you need help. Serious professional help. <hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>

No, "One", I'm not going to do that. For one thing I would need to quote nearly everything in your website and every post you've made in this thread to show you all the flaws. That would be a collossal waste of time and server space, because you are obviously so delusional that you wouldn't see or accept the flaws anyway. For another thing, there is nothing to be gained from continuing to debate with you and I'm certainly not going to go down a path of making fun of you. If you're running a joke here, then I've had all of it I want to see. If you seriously are as delusional as your writings would indicate, then I can't help you by making fun of you. Likewise I can't help you by continuing to debate with you. If I can't help you, I'll just leave you alone. <hr /></blockquote>
Why would you say my site is flawed if you are not willing to say what the flaws are? There are no flaws, that's why you can't say them. You just want to start an argument because I said the truth that pros suck at pool, you are like stupid little monkeys, you can't accept the truth.

BigRigTom
03-28-2005, 09:19 AM
One you are definitely "ONE" of a kind that is. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One
03-28-2005, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>I attempt for optimal position with the cueball 12 cm from the object ball. Then I go around the table with as many rails as possible while still being able to get the 12 cm distance position on the next ball. <hr /></blockquote>

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-4.rail.optimal.position.(2005.03.08).avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-4.rail.optimal.position.(2005.03.08).avi) 660 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2005.01.04).avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online).Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2005.01.04).avi) 504 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online)Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2004.10.24).avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Online)Concentrator-5.rail.position.(2004.10.24).avi) 282 KB

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Replay.top.view.Fraps)Concentrator-6.rail.position-september2004.avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/month/(Replay.top.view.Fraps)Concentrator-6.rail.position-september2004.avi) 148 KB

XviD codec (http://www.koepi.org/XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe) (To play videos) <hr /></blockquote>

Dear Mr. One

http://www.teesnthings.com/ProductImages/funny-t-shirts/novelty-t-shirts/Thumb_point-of-view-ass-t-shirt.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/dli41075/bmoon.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Is this allowed to be posted here? I have sent your post to moderator.

One
03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>
What if someone really gets seizure and dies after seeing that blinking picture?

DebraLiStarr
03-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Quote One:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What if someone really gets seizure and dies after seeing that blinking picture?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<font color="blue">I doubt that will happen. As far as reporting me to the moderator, be my guest, it won't be the first time. You are obviously mentally ill, as evident by that ridiculous web site of yours. You seem to believe that you have all the answers to everything, so... your participation in this forum should not be necessary for you. Go to Fast Larry Land - you belong there.</font color>

rukiddingme
03-28-2005, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>I attempt for optimal position with the cueball 12 cm from the object ball. Then I go around the table with as many rails as possible while still being able to get the 12 cm distance position on the next ball. <hr /></blockquote>

Dear Mr. One

http://www.geocities.com/dli41075/bmoon.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Is this allowed to be posted here? I have sent your post to moderator.
<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Here I thought I was going to learn a whole bunch about speed control and instead this thread has turned into a
bunch of cucumbers who exhibit no self control. Take this to the non-pool forum where it belongs.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
ruk

DebraLiStarr
03-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Here I thought I was going to learn a whole bunch about speed control and instead this thread has turned into a

<font color="blue">Hey Ruk,
Lighten up and have a little fun. It's not every day I get to communicate with with a far superior-super-intelligent alien such as Patrick. </font color>

Rod
03-28-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My specialty is check sidings. <hr /></blockquote>

That is an excellent to have in the bag, especially on fast tables with a tad of roll.

Rod

One
03-28-2005, 09:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> Quote One:

<font color="blue">I doubt that will happen. As far as reporting me to the moderator, be my guest, it won't be the first time. You are obviously mentally ill, as evident by that ridiculous web site of yours. You seem to believe that you have all the answers to everything, so... your participation in this forum should not be necessary for you. Go to Fast Larry Land - you belong there.</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

I came here to help you humans with your pool game because I was bored. I helped a guy how to improve his speed control and you start the big argument. You don't want to improve at pool? You just want to stay ignorant for the rest of your lives so you can have your fake little happy goals with a job, family and house.

DebraLiStarr
03-28-2005, 10:06 PM
I came here to help you humans with your pool game because I was bored. I helped a guy how to improve his speed control and you start the big argument. You don't want to improve at pool? You just want to stay ignorant for the rest of your lives so you can have your fake little happy goals with a job, family and house.

<font color="blue"> Patrick,
I just had this great idea!!! Maybe you could do that "Vulcan Mind-Meld" thing that Spock used to do on Star Trek... then all of us would be able to have your superior knowledge... whaddya say? Let me know... I think you could make a lot of money!</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://home.att.net/~sl.schofield/star_trek/The_First_Mind_Meld.jpg

One
03-29-2005, 12:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> I came here to help you humans with your pool game because I was bored. I helped a guy how to improve his speed control and you start the big argument. You don't want to improve at pool? You just want to stay ignorant for the rest of your lives so you can have your fake little happy goals with a job, family and house.

I just had this great idea!!! Maybe you could do that "Vulcan Mind-Meld" thing that Spock used to do on Star Trek... then all of us would be able to have your superior knowledge... whaddya say? Let me know... I think you could make a lot of money!</font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
I am not interested in making money. There should be no money, everyone should be equals, and ALL knowledge should be accessible to everyone through a database. In the future there are booths on the streets where you step inside to download knowledge into your brain. Or you can do it wireless with nanobots inside your body.

recoveryjones
03-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Last week I started this thread and it received a few replies and then it seemingly died.In general the forum seemed a little dead at the time, at any rate.Shortly after my comptuter crashed and was just reformatted today some 5 days later.

I check out BD and said to myself "Holy $hit!" the thread has over 600 hits and 60 replies.I think to myself....."Man this is awesome!" Billiards Digest is alive and well and I'm going to learn some awesome $hit about speed control.

I should have known better.In my experience with forums, MOST threads only exceed 500 plus hits when there is some sort of WWF flame war in the works......LOL.

My conclusion is that my computer isn't the only thing subjected to virus attacks /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif RJ

ps.Stayed tuned folks as the soap opera will undoubtingly continue.

One
03-29-2005, 06:38 AM
I was trying to help you but they started arguing.

I will show you videos and explain:

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/Concentrator-draw.skid.shot.(2005.03.26).avi 274 KB

Do you see the skid on the cueball and that is starts rolling naturally when it is hitting the 9-ball? This is what you should focus on. Do this on every shot you can. Don't make the 9-ball the "easy way", practice the skid shot instead. I have done it for a year now and it works very good, I have improved a lot from it. At first I let the cueball skid about a feet before hitting the 9-ball, then I tried it closer and closer, and now I can hit the 9-ball in the middle of the "skid/rolling transfer" as you can see in the video.

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/Concentrator-speed.control.draw.(2005.03.29).avi 392 KB

Here you can see the acceleration after the cueball hits the object ball. This is the thing you should always focus on when controlling speed on draw shots. The cueball has so much spin on it so it skids on the cloth until some of the spin wears off and the cueball starts to "grip" the cloth, this makes it accelerate.

For both of those shots you are focusing on the cueball SKIDDING on the cloth. After you practice this you WILL become better at speed control.

If you don't see the videos install XviD codec (http://www.koepi.org/XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe)

One
03-29-2005, 03:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> I was trying to help you but they started arguing.

I will show you videos and explain:

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/Concentrator-draw.skid.shot.(2005.03.26).avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/Concentrator-draw.skid.shot.(2005.03.26).avi) 274 KB

Do you see the skid on the cueball and that is starts rolling naturally when it is hitting the 9-ball? This is what you should focus on. Do this on every shot you can. Don't make the 9-ball the "easy way", practice the skid shot instead. I have done it for a year now and it works very good, I have improved a lot from it. At first I let the cueball skid about a feet before hitting the 9-ball, then I tried it closer and closer, and now I can hit the 9-ball in the middle of the "skid/rolling transfer" as you can see in the video.

ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/Concentrator-speed.control.draw.(2005.03.29).avi (http://ftp://poollogics.is-a-geek.net:22163/bestshots/Concentrator-speed.control.draw.(2005.03.29).avi) 392 KB

Here you can see the acceleration after the cueball hits the object ball. This is the thing you should always focus on when controlling speed on draw shots. The cueball has so much spin on it so it skids on the cloth until some of the spin wears off and the cueball starts to "grip" the cloth, this makes it accelerate.

For both of those shots you are focusing on the cueball SKIDDING on the cloth. After you practice this you WILL become better at speed control.

If you don't see the videos install XviD codec (http://www.koepi.org/XviD-1.0.3-20122004.exe) <hr /></blockquote>
Last 3 days my server has crashed 3 times while I was sleeping, I had no problems for a year and it started after I posted in this forum 3 days ago, coincidence? Who is hacking my computer? Is this what I get for trying to help?

DebraLiStarr
03-29-2005, 03:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>
Last 3 days my server has crashed 3 times while I was sleeping, I had no problems for a year and it started after I posted in this forum 3 days ago, coincidence? Who is hacking my computer? Is this what I get for trying to help?

<hr /></blockquote>

Maybe it's someone from your home planet trying to contact you through your computer!!!</font color>

<font color="red">Mork calling Orson... Mork calling Orson... Come in, Orson... </font color>

<font color="green"> NAH-NOO NAH-NOO !!!!!! </font color>

http://www.tellytunes.com/wallpapers/mork_800.jpg

DickLeonard
03-31-2005, 06:41 AM
Here is my method place an object ball on the spot, then place your cueball where the diamonds intersect one diamond up table. Place 5 object balls in a line with the end of the cueball.

Now play the spot ball into the pocket as softly as you can following to one object ball and mark where the cueball end up. Repeat shooting all shots softly but following thru the five different distances and noting where your cueball ends up.

Play each series with low[not draw],center,follow,left english,right english.

This drill will show you can control speed not by force
but by the distance of the follow thru.

Once you see what the follow thru distance does to the speed of the cueball. Just practice low ball till it becomes a pattern in your mind,then move on to center/follow etc. Jumping all over the place does not reinforce the results in your mind.####

DickLeonard
03-31-2005, 06:57 AM
Fred I would have to agree with you, I find it hard to believe that the Phillipine players with their dipsidoodle stroke could hit dead center of the cueball with any degree of accuracy.

They have compensated by using a minimal amount of favoring English. I watched Santos stroking at Valley Forge and I was amazed that he could make any shot, his cue path was all over the place.

It shows you if you play enuff your mind/body will become one.####

DickLeonard
03-31-2005, 07:12 AM
I am sorry I only read a few posts I didn't know it have become a meeeting of the minds.####

BlindPlayer
03-31-2005, 06:38 PM
There are 3 phases to the draw shot. 1st phase is backspin; 2nd phase is "skid" (when hitting the object ball during the "skid" - the result is the "stop shot" - depending on speed the skid phase can be an inch or several inches before rolling forward; 3rd phase is natural forward roll. The best way to demonstrate this is to use a striped ball as a cue ball - draw the ball and watch the 3 phases visially. How many times have you heard a string of four letter words because a player opted out of the rail first shot and hit straight on a ball hanging in the pocket, just to scratch. He thought he could draw back from that distance but alas! the truth.