PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a cue stick?

Plummerbutt
03-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Tried the search button as I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but nothing came up so here it is again. What should I use to clean my cue shaft? How should I go about it? Thanks in advance. One more thing, is that "search" feature working? Don't seem to work for me.

Deeman2
03-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Mr. Clean, Magic Eraser....It will change your life...$3.99 in any grocery store...

Deeman

Wally_in_Cincy
03-22-2005, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr> is that "search" feature working? Don't seem to work for me.
<hr /></blockquote>

You will notice the default setting for the search only goes back 7 days. maybe thats your problem

Magical Mystery Tour Eraser Thread /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=172250&amp;page=&amp;vi ew=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1)

ChuckR
03-22-2005, 06:37 PM
I have always had luck by starting out cleaning the cue with soft scrub, carefully rotating the shaft in a stream of steam to lift the grain and then burnishing with a piece of leather and finally dressing with rubbing alcohol. Be carefull that you don't warp the shaft when you are steaming it by continually rotating it and not over doing it. ChuckR

SPetty
03-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi ChuckR,

Have you tried the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? How do the results compare?

Troy
03-22-2005, 07:53 PM
I use Simple Green® diluted with 2 parts water in a spray bottle and a clean dry cloth. Don't "drown" the shaft, just slightly moisten the cloth. Follow immediately with a dry cloth. Then burnish with a piece of un-dyed leather.

I avoid Soft Scrub® because it contains an abrasive.
I also avoid Magic Eraser® because I have a package that says "Not recommended for use on bare wood". Also, I have tried it on old house cues and I don't like the feel of the cue after cleaning.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr> Tried the search button as I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but nothing came up so here it is again. What should I use to clean my cue shaft? How should I go about it? Thanks in advance. One more thing, is that "search" feature working? Don't seem to work for me.
<hr /></blockquote>

JimS
03-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Troy....I've used the Magic Eraser at least a dozen times with no negative results. I've scrubbed some filthy shafts with a ME and like you I've not liked the kinda rough look of the surface but I use just a couple of passes with the rough side of a Q-Wiz, or 1,000 grit, and then burnish with leather and it's by far the least abrasive system of getting a good clean finish that I've yet to discover. I think it would do just fine to skip the abrasive altogether and just burnish but I haven't tried that yet and I don't have any more dirty shafts to experiement with /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I DO recommend the Magic Eraser very highly and I'm picky as hell about my South West shafts.

Keith Talent
03-23-2005, 07:39 AM
Another vote for Mr. Clean! I've been using it about every other week since the original thread, with no ill effects. Just dampen slightly, make a handful of passes with it, with a little more work around the ferrule. Then I take a half-wet paper towel and make one pass to clear any filiments the sponge may have left ... then hit it with a dry one. Set it out to dry for 5 mins, then burnish with white paper till it's hot ... a tip, I believe I read here from Fred Agnir. Feels like new and you could do this anywhere in maybe 10 mins ...

Regulator
04-19-2005, 11:18 PM
Keith,

I just bought a used Mezz ZZ-07 cue with a Predator 314 on it - really, really dirty.

Cleaned it as you said in your post.

It's amazing. Also, Fred's white paper tip works cool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used some very, very diluted Simple Green on the butt and forearm, then removed any leftover with a damp towel. Next, I used just a touch of Meguiar's Leather Care on the leather wrap (masked the laquer edges with tape).

My friends think the cue is new.

KGeeED
04-20-2005, 06:31 AM
I get a kick out of cues that are sold as new or buyers that think they are getting a cue that has never been played with. Any one can clean up a cue and if needed replace the tip and ferrule. It the butt isn't beat up the cue will look as if it has never been used.

PQQLK9
04-20-2005, 07:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote KGeeED:</font><hr> I get a kick out of cues that are sold as new or buyers that think they are getting a cue that has never been played with. Any one can clean up a cue and if needed replace the tip and ferrule. It the butt isn't beat up the cue will look as if it has never been used. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree, all my cues look like new. (my cue case also) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif