PDA

View Full Version : You Don't Know Me, and I have a Gun!

Singlemalt
03-22-2005, 12:10 PM
http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/you_dont_know_me.html

You Don't Know Me, and I Have a Gun!

You don't know me, or maybe you just don't know that you do. I am your neighbor, doctor, clergyman, nurse or just another nameless, faceless stranger in the crowd. I have a state authorized, court issued permit to carry a concealed handgun. I do so whenever possible.

Though you don't know me, there are a few things, however, you should know about me.

The local police fingerprinted me. They sent them to the FBI for a criminal background check. Before that, I had to pass state and local background checks. I had to present evidence to the court of approved training in firearms laws, safety and marksmanship before my application would even be accepted.

I am not a felon, junkie, drug dealer, stalker or even a shoplifter since any number of indiscretions including alcohol or other drug abuse or even simple assault or a restraining order would disqualify me from holding a permit.

My classroom training covered when it is appropriate and legal to even indicate that I have a gun, much less display it or actually use deadly force.

Doing so in any circumstance, under which I am not in immediate fear for my life or the life of another, would mean more than the loss of my permit. Most likely, I would also be charged with brandishing a weapon, disorderly conduct and/or assault.

If it was determined that my use of deadly force was not to protect a life in immediate danger, I would probably be charged with second-degree murder or first-degree manslaughter. On top of these, I would also face civil liability.

Like most people who legally carry concealed handguns, I practice regularly at a range. I am well aware of the laws and regulations affecting me. I and my fellow permit holders are generally more well trained and practiced than many law enforcement officers.

I am not a non-resident alien. I am a good citizen, and I vote.

I am aware of the responsibility I bear, and I will walk or run away rather than risk confrontation. I will retreat as fast and as far as possible. I always avoid conflict. I know that should a situation escalate, I could be identified as the instigator and face losing my right to carry, or much worse.

Should the need arise., however, I will act swiftly, intelligently and decisively to protect my life and the lives of those around me

Are you still afraid of me?

In my home state of Virginia, not one permit holder has been convicted of a violent gun crime despite more than 110,000 issued permits. Throughout the entire United States, no police officer has been injured by a person with a legal handgun. A number have, however, been assisted and even rescued by armed, law abiding citizens.

You should feel a degree of comfort knowing that there may be someone nearby with means, motive and training to possibly save your life, or that of those around you.

Criminals, on the other hand, should feel fear. They never know if their next intended victim may armed, trained, and ready to effectively defend themselves.

If you feel safer patronizing establishments with a NO GUNS ALLOWED policy, please keep in mind that the criminals don't obey the signs or the laws. That is why we call them criminals.

Criminals know that the law-abiding customers of that establishment are easy prey, and will have little to no fear of the consequences of their actions. The hallways and parking lots of these establishments might just as well post a sign saying...

http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/graphics/crime_zone.pdf

There is no need to fear me, I am just another loyal, law abiding American.

You should, however, be very afraid of those who endeavor to turn the entire law abiding population of our great country into defenseless victims.

Deeman2
03-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Great Post. I always ask my anti-gun friends if they are willing to put a sign up outisdie their home. "No guns are in this house." So far none have said they will.

I believe conceiled carry has reduced gun incidents through good training. It makes a gun owner think very hard before using his/her weapon and makes criminals wonder who is carrying.

In Memphis a few years ago they did a survey that showed around four in ten had a loaded weapon in their vehicle. They also pointed out that Memphis, strangely, only had two carjacking cases at that time, one resulting in a dead carjacker. They had not had another case in the next few years...

As a class of people, you are right, they get in very little trouble with their firearms, unlike police who have stacks of cases of misused weapons in service incidents.

Deeman
my gun may not save me, it might save you...

dbankjr
03-23-2005, 01:51 AM
"There is no need to fear me, I am just another loyal, law abiding American" ....and there aren't enough of us I will add.
The right to bear arms....the right that preserves that you are a citizen and not a subject...that you have free will actually. It has been taken way too lightly. If the second ammendment ever falls as the anti-gunners would love it to, they seem to not understand that the very right that they have to voice that opinion will also disappear,as with the rest of the Bill Of Rights and who knows what else, which is what our founding fathers wanted to make sure did not happen even though some of those rights didn't yet exist. I know this is elementary to most of us..but since anti-gunners are eating the crayons...somebody has to draw them a picture as they sh#t rainbows...
Great post Singlemalt...Im a Glenny drinker myself.

Gayle in MD
03-23-2005, 07:30 AM
Great Post! Women, particularly, should learn gun safety, and be armed and able to protect themselves and their families. I have begged both my daughter and sister to let me get them guns, and take them with me to the shooting range. They have finally agreed, thank goodness.

Gayle in Md.

SecaucusFats
03-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Good post.

The most important thing about gun rights, and the one that always seems to elude the anti gun crowd, is that the right to bear arms exists to allow for an armed citizenry to fight back in case the government turns against the people.

One of Hitler's first decrees was to make private gun ownership illegal and which required all Germans to turn their guns in or have them seized and face severe punishment. (For some strange reason despots and tyrants don't like weapons in the hands of citizens, hmmm...I wonder why?) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SPetty
03-23-2005, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> One of Hitler's first decrees was to make private gun ownership illegal and which required all Germans to turn their guns in or have them seized and face severe punishment. <hr /></blockquote>Why don't we hear more about this? Was the gun control effective? Did it cause crime to go down?

SpiderMan
03-23-2005, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> One of Hitler's first decrees was to make private gun ownership illegal and which required all Germans to turn their guns in or have them seized and face severe punishment. <hr /></blockquote>Why don't we hear more about this? Was the gun control effective? Did it cause crime to go down? <hr /></blockquote>
Quite effective. Once toothless, the citizens had little choice but to obey whatever laws were passed.

SpiderMan

Cueless Joey
03-23-2005, 03:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> One of Hitler's first decrees was to make private gun ownership illegal and which required all Germans to turn their guns in or have them seized and face severe punishment. <hr /></blockquote>Why don't we hear more about this? Was the gun control effective? Did it cause crime to go down? <hr /></blockquote>
Quite effective. Once toothless, the citizens had little choice but to obey whatever laws were passed.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>
Ferdinand Marcos and Fidel Castro did the same thing.
Mao in China too.

WaltVA
03-23-2005, 04:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SecaucusFats:</font><hr> One of Hitler's first decrees was to make private gun ownership illegal and which required all Germans to turn their guns in or have them seized and face severe punishment. <hr /></blockquote>Why don't we hear more about this? Was the gun control effective? Did it cause crime to go down? <hr /></blockquote>
Yep, citizen-against-citizen crime went down, replaced a hundredfold by government-thug-against-citizen crimes.
Walt in VA

theinel
03-26-2005, 04:38 AM
"[OMIT 200 YEAR OLD NONSENSE] A Well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,[/OMIT 200 YEAR OLD NONSENSE] the right of the people to keep and bear arms , shall not be infringed."

The 2nd amendment was forfeit a long time ago.

But wait, I can bear a HIDDEN gun if I register, get fingerprinted, and haven't committed a felony that the local government can find out about in a few underfunded days. I get it. It makes perfect sense. It's a balance of power between our Big Brother government, the non-existant well regulated malitias (the National Guard is an extension of the U.S. Military) and an ignorant population with their collective head in the sand.

I own several guns, was a member of the Rod &amp; Gun Club in my formative years, believe in the 2nd amendment, and believe that anyone not convicted of criminal offense should be able to own and carry a gun.

Where does all of that leave me...? In a country with a serious problem.

Your post is funny but I can guarantee you that the arguement that "one of your victims might have a gun" doesn't stop criminals any more than the arguement that "comitting a crime will send you to jail or get you executed" does. Our prisons are full of people that rob places with armed guards and violate laws that carry the death penalty.

I wont offer solutions to this, not because I cant think of any, but because they all suck.

SpiderMan
03-28-2005, 11:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr> Your post is funny but I can guarantee you that the arguement that "one of your victims might have a gun" doesn't stop criminals any more than the arguement that "comitting a crime will send you to jail or get you executed" does. Our prisons are full of people that rob places with armed guards and violate laws that carry the death penalty.<hr /></blockquote>
Robbing an armed guard is very different than contemplating a robbery where you have no idea who is and isn't carrying. Knowing who is armed is a big plus for the perpetrator. That's one reason "concealed carry" makes even unarmed citizens marginally safer. Imagine being a thug looking for someone to mug - would you rather choose your victims from a group where 4% of the population carries a concealed weapon, or from a group where twice that many carry (but openly)?

SpiderMan

Singlemalt
03-29-2005, 05:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr>
But wait, I can bear a HIDDEN gun if I register, get fingerprinted, and haven't committed a felony that the local government can find out about in a few underfunded days. I get it. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, as far as a few underfunded days I do not totally agree with this. Granted, some states are very quick in the approval process with some people receiving permits in under a week.

I know that in NC the average time from application to permit approval is from 4 weeks to as much as the full 90 days. As of 9/30/2004 NC has denied 1,274 and revoked an additional 727 permits.

I guess all I am trying to say is that most states do a very good job being very detailed in the investigating of your background and making a decision on whether you are approved or not. I know that from July 1, 2004 - February 28, 2005 FL denied a total of 421 permits, revoked 322 and suspended an additional 741 permits.

DickLeonard
04-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Gayle, just a gun story, when Joe Canton opened his room on 4th street in Troy in 1958. The policeman who walked the beat, Officer John [Jack] Gray would come in out of the cold and stand over the heat grate to warmup. We became friends with Jack.

Well Jack went to NYC and as off duty policeman he carried his weapon. The location and the incident is fuzzy now but a robbery went down and the perp came out brandishing his weapon and Jack pulled his and shot him dead.

Now the nightmare began and Jack was in his right to carry. NYC solved it by passing a law that no off duty policeman except NYC Officers could carry.####

Singlemalt
04-05-2005, 10:57 AM
I tell you, the only states remaining that do not recognize "Right to Carry"

California (duh!), Nebraska, Kansas, Wisconsin, Illinois, Maryland (has it but nearly impossible to get), New York (NY city and certain counties are nearly impossible),New Jersey (exists but VERY descretionary on issuance) and Mass. (has Class "A" and "B" and WAY to open with the defintions of each).

I really wish some of these other states would come around on the firearm laws that they have. I understand states like California are likely to never change but they all should take note of other states who allow this and realize the benefits that result from it.

Gayle in MD
04-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Wow, let me see if I have this straight. He wasn't a NYC police man, right, he was from up state, so he was in trouble for shooting the guy, and so what happened to him after that?

I think the most important thing about having a gun is that you have to know yourself, and you have to know if you can handle yourself and be alert and not the panicy type.

Guns are dangerous, but they can save your life, too.

Gayle...not going to count on the police to protect me!

SpiderMan
04-06-2005, 11:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Gayle...not going to count on the police to protect me! <hr /></blockquote>

They can only protect you if one follows you everywhere.

There have been benchmark court decisions absolving them (police and government) from any "obligation or expectation of protection". They will, however, be happy to investigate your crime after the fact.

I'd much rather them be investigating my self-defence than my murder.

SpiderMan

BlindPlayer
04-06-2005, 12:02 PM
My favorite all time bumper sticker has been and probably always will be, "If we outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns!"

My2cWorth

Deeman2
04-06-2005, 12:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Gayle...not going to count on the police to protect me! <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Gayle, That's not very liberal of you! Just kidding. I'm glad to see you are an independent women who will not be a victim. Your point of how seriously a person must take gun possession is right on as well. I have a hard time worrying about people who see to much TV and don't consider the finality of pulling the trigger.

Good Post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Deeman

Gayle in MD
04-06-2005, 01:03 PM
That's the truth. Judged by twelve, or carried by six, I'll take the twelve any day!

And you know, women just aren't careful enough, IMO. For example, I never leave the Mall, or a restraurant, or poolroom and walk across a parking lot to my car, unless I have someone watch me from the door, or walk me to my car.

I used to love to run in the mornings years ago, before I finally broke down and bought a treadmill. I lived in a rural area, and the run was beautiful. Then I started reading about all the women joggers who were being raped, and so for a while, I ran with my little 38 special in an ankle sock in my hand! It kind of defeated the beauty of running though, so I got a treatmill.

Where I live now, we have a beautiful running path through the woods, but unless Jim is with me, I do my running on the treadmill in the mornings while I watch the news!

I wouldn't think of pulling off the road for a plain car with a flashing light either.

Some of my girlfriends think I'm paranoid. I think they're naive and careless.

Being alert and prepared for anything is a way of life. When I travel, I am a wreck because I can't take my gun with me.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
04-06-2005, 05:25 PM
LOL, well hell, even I can't figure out if I'm liberal or conservative. Thanks Deeman, always nice to know we can agree on some things.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Singlemalt
04-07-2005, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>
Being alert and prepared for anything is a way of life. When I travel, I am a wreck because I can't take my gun with me.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Have you ever considered applying for a Conceal Carry license in MD? It is difficult to get one but women have an easier chance than men do.

http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/maryland

Just a thought to consider maybe.

Gayle in MD
04-07-2005, 06:52 AM
Yes I have, and have been waiting in the process for a long time. I hope it comes through.
Gayle in Md.