PDA

View Full Version : Is This Pool Table any good?

godlyone
03-22-2005, 07:07 PM
I am thinking of the minnesota fats MFT400
It looks like a nice table, and it is relatively inexpensive.
Anyone have any experience with it?
It's available in many places, but here is a link to it at modell's http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1419241&cp=726087

What is slate-core?
Is that just standard "slatron" [mfd type stuff?]
Or is it somewhat like a mix between the two?

Note: I am just a beginner, not a professional or anything, so I dont need a table that is too expensive.

Thanks.

Cueless Joey
03-22-2005, 08:09 PM
It's crap.
I suggest finding a used slate pool table for that price.

godlyone
03-22-2005, 08:55 PM
care to explain why?
Obviously its not as good as a slate, but why is it "crap" ?

I am not looking for a pro table..

ALSO:
Can you recommend a cheap begginer slate table? and the price?

Wally_in_Cincy
03-23-2005, 07:16 AM
joey's right it's crap whether you are a serious player or not..

find a used Kasson, Olhausen, or Brunswick for around $1000

Hell, if nothing else buy a used Valley or Dynamo or Diamond 7-foot bar table. It'll play a lot better than that.

SplinterHands
03-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Do what you want, but I would never buy anything like that. Whether or not you want a "Pro" table, you want one that will play good. Take Wally's advice and find a used slate table. You'll be happier in the long run.

BigRigTom
03-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Yep! Listen to these other guys! You won't be sorry. $850 is a cheap price for a pool table and I know what you're saying about not being a pro...I used to think that way. The MF table is a cool looking table in the picture and will probably look great when you get it all set up. It may even play decent for a while but if you are over 12 years old believe me you won't be happy playing on it after a little while.
If you shop around you can get a high quality used brand name table for less than the $850 they're asking for that MF.
If you have budget concerns (as most of us do) you could maybe look for a good used table in the $500 range then spend the other $300 or $400 getting it set up and recovered. The set up and recovering is something you will have to do on any table you buy except the 7 ft. bar tables that are made to be moved intact.

Scott Lee
03-23-2005, 09:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote godlyone:</font><hr> care to explain why?
Obviously its not as good as a slate, but why is it "crap" ?

I am not looking for a pro table..

ALSO:
Can you recommend a cheap begginer slate table? and the price? <hr /></blockquote>

First off, cheap pool tables do not have slate...a necessary ingredient to consistent playing surface. Second, cheap tables have poor quality rubber cushions. These will not rebound consistently, and nowhere near the quality of good cushions. The cloth will be very cheap, and will likely wear out quickly, with a lot of play. Very likely, the construction of the table is poor, with pressboard instead of hardwood in much of the construction. Slate is rock...there is no good substitute.
You get what you pay for. Look for a bar table or a used slate table, in the same $800-$1000 price range. You may have spend up to $1500 to buy it, and get it set up right, but it will be worth it in the long run, as you'll have a solid playing table for as long as you want it. Whether you're a pro or not, it is much more fun to play on a good table.

Scott Lee

WaltVA
03-23-2005, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote godlyone:</font><hr>
...Can you recommend a cheap begginer slate table? and the price? <hr /></blockquote>
Contact the amusement company that supplies coin-op tables in your area. They will often have some used ones for sale minus the coin mechanism, and they will play tons better than a non-slate cheapie "furniture" type.

My first table was a 7' Valley barbox I got for $400. I played on it for a year, recovered with Simonis and kept it another 2 years, and sold it to a buddy for $450. (This was 20+ years ago.) He's still playing on it.

If you're on a budget, that's the way I'd go. You may not be a pro, but if you're going to shoot a lot, your game will improve, and the more it does, the more frustrated you will become with the limitations of a non-slate table. JMHO

Walt in VA