PDA

View Full Version : Pool Gods

ChuckR
03-22-2005, 07:13 PM
It always seems to start so innocently with something as small as hooking yourself after making a difficult shot or even an easy one. Then you get something like making a VERY thin cut shot only to have the cue ball scratch. In the meantime, after every shot your opponent misses, your hooked again. You keep telling yourself to have patience, that the rolls will come your way, but game after game goes this way. You can hear people telling each other that they have never seen someone get this many bad rolls and for each bad one you get, your opponent gets a matching good one. You make the nine on the snap, only to watch 3 different balls collide with the cue ball to knock it in the pocket. You are now reduced to simple blathering and knowing that "worse" is waiting out there for you on each and every shot. You question why you ever took up this stupid game knowing it's not worth the frustration. No one in the history of pool has had this long of a run of bad luck. But it may be something as simple as making an easy shot and getting perfect position, you have a ray of hope and begin to start falling in love with the game all over again. Why do we put ourselves through such torture? I guess each person has their own answer.
ChuckR

Wally_in_Cincy
03-23-2005, 07:11 AM
I've gotten bad rolls for as long as 6 weeks before. But it always turns around. You must perservere.

marek
03-23-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi!
From my experinence pool gods are totally fair - in a long run that is. Single match is an another cup of tea! Pool gods may favour you or your opponent in one single match or maybe in the whole tournament but you always get the other side of luck sooner or later.

BigRigTom
03-23-2005, 08:35 AM
It is truly frustrating when you have one of "THOSE" matches where the other guy gets all the breaks and rolls..but..I try to remember the last time I got them and I have had them. I remember one time not too long ago I played one of my regular opponents in the Thursday night 9 ball APA. He and I are both Skill Level 7 so we both need 55 to win. I know he is a better 7 than I and that really taunts me. He ALWAYS beats me....but not that last time. I was the one with all the luck, all the breaks, all the rolls....by the time the match ended I was actually feeling a little bit sorry for him. He could NOT do anything right. He is a really good player but nothing was working for him that night. Naturally I won that match but it was NOT my skill vs his, it was just that the POOL GODS chose to smile on me that night.
That match will sustain me through many more matches where the POOL GODS choose to smile on the other guy and I'll just sit in my corner and remember how good it felt to be on the receiving end of those good rolls. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman2
03-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Maybe your pool Gods are less powerful than your opponents pool Gods!

A lot of this is attitude. You have to be a little stoic to play this game well and accept what you are given. I have seen what some might consider a bad roll get me behind a ball. IN most case, I was at fault. A lot times, you can see a great kick safety from the hook. If you look at it as a continuing punishment for you, it will probably turn out that way. I have always felt good players make their own rolls. If it should go against them on occasion (and it will), they have to look for the great escape or shot. That's what this game is all about. I don't remember a lot of easy runouts but certainly remember the great recovery shots.

I really believe you have to have the confidence to bore through the bad breaks and have the confidence to perservere until the tide turns. That confidence breeds more confidence and that is what gets you the rolls.

JMHO

Deeman
gets all the rolls...well, maybe a few /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

theinel
03-23-2005, 03:07 PM
I understand the urge to blame the Pool Gods but there are no pool gods (or very few of them anyway). The shooter is the only thinking force active in any given shot. If a ball scratches or hides behind another ball it is very likely that it is there because the shooter caused it to go there. On some shots such as the break or breakout shots there are too many variables in play for the human brain, or even chaos theory, to account for all of them but ultimately the shooter set all of the balls in motion and is therefor responsible for the end result.

That said there are still the little thing like debris on the table, indentations in the cloth, dead rails, etc. that are beyond the shooters control that can have dramatic affect on a shot and cause a justified moan or two to the pool gods from time to time but when fortunate to be playing on well maintained equipment the only real pool god in play is the shooters own lack of ability.

Keith Talent
03-23-2005, 03:58 PM
But certain rules always apply. If you run yourself out of position and try a hero shot instead of accepting your fate and playing safe:
1) you WILL sell out and watch your opponent run the rest of YOUR rack.
2) Said opponent ABSOLUTELY WILL make the 9 on the snap next./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

theinel
03-28-2005, 05:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> But certain rules always apply. If you run yourself out of position <font color="blue">(You see that you are responsible and that is most of the battle)</font color> and try a hero shot instead of accepting your fate and playing safe <font color="blue">(You know that you are surrendering the fate of the game to a single shot and that statistics greatly back a good safety player over a hero in these situations)</font color>:
2) Said opponent ABSOLUTELY WILL make the 9 on the snap next./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif<font color="blue">He snapped it but yeah this one begs for pool gods to blame</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

One
03-28-2005, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> But certain rules always apply. If you run yourself out of position and try a hero shot instead of accepting your fate and playing safe:
2) Said opponent ABSOLUTELY WILL make the 9 on the snap next./ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
This depends on the opponent, would you make a safety against Efren Reyes?