PDA

View Full Version : Brunswick Table Rail Height -Can it be adjusted?

BigRigTom
03-23-2005, 09:29 AM
My Brunswick Sierra table (Professional 8' (46"x92" playing area)is probably about 20 years old. It's in really great shape and I like it a lot....but...A friend and I were playing about a week ago and he remarked that the rails seemed a little high and that the reaction off the rails was a little slow because of that. I measured and he was right. The rails are 1 5/8" at the impact point.
According to my friend... who supposedly knows.... the impact point should be exactly 1 1/8" to exactly coinside with the center of a 2 1/4" diameter ball.
Does this sound right?
Is there a way to adjust the height of the rails?
Has anyone ever run across this situation?
Are these stupid question?
Hit me with your best shot! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anonamus
03-23-2005, 11:12 AM
According to the World Billiard Assoc. the rail height measured from the nose of the bumper to the cloth is .63 x 2.25" = 1.4175 or 1 13/32.

The rail height is above the center of the ball so that the balls don't go flying off the table when hit hard. But, if the rails are too high they will trap the ball under the rail and rebound with less speed.

And to answer your original question, if the rails are too high there is nothing you can do about it. If they are too low you can place shims under the rail to raise them.

BigRigTom
03-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I went back and checked based on this info and the rails are very...very...very close to 13/32.
I actually marked a ruler at 7/16 which is 14/32 and figure the mark should be barely visible when I place the ruler against the the rail and it is! How bout that. Thanks once again Brunswick....I am again very proud to be a Brunswick Table owner.
uh...Hope this info is accurate too...thanks for the help Anonymous Ed /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DialUp
03-23-2005, 01:18 PM
What happens alot (with lazy cloth installers, and most of them are...) is the do not trim the cloth under the rail correctly.

Lots of tables will have a machined section under the rail to staple the cloth to. This is so the rail will lay flat. Most of the time, they don't take the time to trim it perfectly so the rail sits up a bit higher than it should. Or, there are so many staples under there that they are causing the rail to be too high.

Troy
03-23-2005, 05:41 PM
On a Brunswick GC the cloth is stapled to the EDGE of the wood under the slate. There is NO interference of staples to rail frame.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DialUp:</font><hr> What happens alot (with lazy cloth installers, and most of them are...) is the do not trim the cloth under the rail correctly.

Lots of tables will have a machined section under the rail to staple the cloth to. This is so the rail will lay flat. Most of the time, they don't take the time to trim it perfectly so the rail sits up a bit higher than it should. Or, there are so many staples under there that they are causing the rail to be too high. <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
03-23-2005, 06:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote DialUp:</font><hr> What happens alot (with lazy cloth installers, and most of them are...) is the do not trim the cloth under the rail correctly.

Lots of tables will have a machined section under the rail to staple the cloth to. This is so the rail will lay flat. Most of the time, they don't take the time to trim it perfectly so the rail sits up a bit higher than it should. Or, there are so many staples under there that they are causing the rail to be too high. <hr /></blockquote> On a Brunswick GC the cloth is stapled to the EDGE of the wood under the slate. There is NO interference of staples to rail frame.<hr /></blockquote>Troy, I think he was talking about the cloth that's covering the rail that's stapled under the rail. Not the cloth that's covering the bed that's stapled to the edge of the wood under the slate.

On my Diamond Pro, the relief for the cloth and staples concerned me for awhile, because I can almost lose a dime in there. My dealer explained it to me and showed me a rail not on the table. Now I'm not so concerned, but I still have to use a coin thicker than a dime!

DialUp
03-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Yes, the cloth that is stapled to the rail, not the table.

TennesseeJoe
03-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Are you refering to the flat wood part of the rail or the nose of the (rubber) tip? The tip should be 1 25/64" above the table bed for proper ball reaction. Some items to consider: 1. The rubber may not be installed properly--check to see if it is consistently at 1 25/64". 2. The rubber may be old and dead---some rubber rails were made from inferior rubber and did not keep the properties for more than one year. 3. Local dealers many times do not know anything about installing rails properly especially on old tables (yours is not realy old though).

Troy
03-23-2005, 07:43 PM
My apologies.
Yup, the relief is there for the staples. Two excellent table mechanics I'm aware of both trim the cloth carefully in this area (and others).

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DialUp:</font><hr> Yes, the cloth that is stapled to the rail, not the table. <hr /></blockquote>

BigRigTom
03-23-2005, 09:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TennesseeJoe:</font><hr> Are you refering to the flat wood part of the rail or the nose of the (rubber) tip? The tip should be 1 25/64" above the table bed for proper ball reaction. Some items to consider: 1. The rubber may not be installed properly--check to see if it is consistently at 1 25/64". 2. The rubber may be old and dead---some rubber rails were made from inferior rubber and did not keep the properties for more than one year. 3. Local dealers many times do not know anything about installing rails properly especially on old tables (yours is not realy old though).
<hr /></blockquote>

Like I said earlier I marked a ruler at 7/16" which is 1/16' more that 13/32" and is a 3/64" more that 25/64".

I then placed the ruler on the table flush with the bumper (rail) (tip) (cushion) etc etc etc (the impact or contact point when the ball hits the rails. At 54 years old my eyes aren't what they used to be but it looks pretty damn close to me. At least it is a lot closer than it would be if it were government work.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. I am STILL happy with my Brunswick and since it only cost me $250 plus another $200 to cover plus I supplied the cloth (Chanpionship Ultra), I can smile a lot while I play pool and I don't have to come up with any quarters. I also feel for the guy who wants to spend $10,000 on a table and then another guy is considering spending $875 + on a Minnesota Fats (kids table). I feel like I am VERY FORTUNATE INDEED! Thanks again to you all.
I'm goin to go practice the 14:1 game a while and see if I can get started on that goal of a 100 ball run. I am currently at 14 /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif....you might say my work is cut out for me ...he he /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif