PDA

View Full Version : I quit smoking

Wally_in_Cincy
03-23-2005, 11:11 AM
About 26 days ago I caught a terrible chest cold. It's been traveling all over the country apparently. It also involves severe fatigue and loss of appetite.

The good news is since I couldn't breathe I could not smoke either (believe me, I tried). Even one puff sent me into an agonizing coughing fit. The fatigue was so bad I hardly missed the nicotine. After about 5 days I figured "Hell might as well quit." So I did.

I have not had any bad craving but I have had a couple of the "smoking dreams" SPetty and Deeman talked about. I am cig-less now for 23 days and counting. I can't see myself going back. No reason to. I have passed the tavern test. Whether playing pool or just hanging out, I have zero desire to smoke.

I would like to publicly thank God for giving me this opportunity.I don't know if I would have quit otherwise.

Barbara
03-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Way to go Wally!!

Barbara

landshark77
03-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Nice job Wally. I wish I was as strong as you.

Stretch
03-23-2005, 11:34 AM
Great News Wally! St.

Rich R.
03-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Good for you Wally. I'm happy for you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
03-23-2005, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> Nice job Wally. I wish I was as strong as you. <hr /></blockquote>
You just have to catch whatever Wally had. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-23-2005, 12:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote landshark77:</font><hr> Nice job Wally. I wish I was as strong as you. <hr /></blockquote>
You just have to catch whatever Wally had. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

yep /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SPetty
03-23-2005, 12:34 PM
So, you accidentally quit smoking, eh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Congratulations, Wally. There's no going back now. If you ever -&gt; ever smoke one more cigarette, it is from here a choice you'll be making. No one but you makes that choice, and your choice is that you will not smoke ever again.

Good job! Be proud!

Go ahead, tell someone that you're a non-smoker. That's what you are, you know.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-23-2005, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>Go ahead, tell someone that you're a non-smoker. <hr /></blockquote>

No way Jose. Those non-smokers are too obnoxious. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman2
03-23-2005, 01:48 PM
Wally,

Congratulations. I have failed, again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I hope you are able to keep it up.

Deeman

eg8r
03-23-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would like to publicly thank God for giving me this opportunity.I don't know if I would have quit otherwise. <hr /></blockquote> Talk about working in mysterious ways. You would think he could have come up with a more enjoyable experience. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Getting a terrible chest cold to help you quit smoking is a rough route to travel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am happy for you and the rest of the forum members who have been able to quit this disgusting habit. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

Wally_in_Cincy
03-23-2005, 02:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>

I have failed, again. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry to hear that. I was wondering.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> ... Getting a terrible chest cold to help you quit smoking is a rough route to travel. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

in retrospect, it was worth it

dg-in-centralpa
03-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Congratulations Wally!

DG - doesn't smoke except a cigar once in a while

Nostroke
03-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Congrats Wally. 16 years for me now.

Just remember there is no such thing as "I'll just have one" What you really will be saying is "i want to become a smoker again"

Don't give into it! The hardest part is over but there will be many temptations to come!

Keith Talent
03-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Great news, Wally. Next year at this time, you might even be in favor of exiling yer former partners in crime to the curb! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hope you're feeling better ...

Wally_in_Cincy
03-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the advice and good wishes everyone. I appreciate it.

PQQLK9
03-23-2005, 06:01 PM
Congratulation Wally,thats great news. Non smoking Republicans make good Democrats. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Been smoke free for 25 years out of 64.

Vapros
03-23-2005, 11:04 PM
That's gonna be expensive, pal. Now you will live about sixteen years longer, and that costs money. And you will smell better and attract more chicks and that will cost more money! Are you sure you can afford what you have done?

Rich R.
03-24-2005, 04:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Congrats Wally. 16 years for me now.

Just remember there is no such thing as "I'll just have one" What you really will be saying is "i want to become a smoker again"

Don't give into it! The hardest part is over but there will be many temptations to come! <hr /></blockquote>
These are very true words.

catscradle
03-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Bravo!!!!!

CarolNYC
03-25-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
am cig-less now for 23 days and counting <hr /></blockquote>
Thats wonderful Wally,
Kepp up the good work and stay strong-Im rooting for you!
Carol

DickLeonard
03-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Wally, now your starting to think like a Democrat, we believed the medical reports years ago. We didn't believe the Corporations spin that cigarettes were Okay.

Good for you Wally I am 36 years without one. Just watch out for the gaining of weight, that comes from not smoking. If you can quit smoking you can quit eating.####

DickLeonard
03-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Poolk9 Great Democratic minds think alike I just read Wallys post and replied.####

ras314
03-25-2005, 08:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> If you can quit smoking you can quit eating.#### <hr /></blockquote>
Uh, wouldn't that also be hazardous to your health? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally, you ought to keep in mind you'll probably save enough money to finace those extra 16 years. Think of all the shirts you won't burn holes in, cars you won't wreck trying to get hot ashes out of the seat, ect. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck and hang in there.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-25-2005, 09:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Wally, now your starting to think like a Democrat, <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Congratulation Wally,thats great news. Non smoking Republicans make good Democrats. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Hooooold on there Baba-louie, let's not get carried away. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

27 days and counting

theinel
03-26-2005, 03:12 AM
Congrats Wally!

Stick with it. My dad was a two pack a day plus smoker for over thirty years and he's just passed the one year mark so I know it's possible even for the most stuborn of us. I've been fortunate never to have been a smoker although I've stuggled with similar problems over the years.

Good luck!

stickman
03-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Congratulations, Wally!!! It has been about 3 weeks for me. I've had the occassional craving, but I've resisted them. I breath better, feel better, and eat better. The hardest part is that I have times when it feels like I can't get my breath. It's just the withdrawl symtoms. I'm sure it will go away in time. I smoked for 38 -39 years, and tried to quit many times, but I honestly think this time I've quit for good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
03-27-2005, 09:04 PM
Keep it up wally. it will get easier every day. i am working on 15 months...............................mike

Wally_in_Cincy
03-28-2005, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> Congratulations, Wally!!! It has been about 3 weeks for me. ... <hr /></blockquote>

Keep it up stickman. If you can make it 3 weeks you can make it the rest of the way.

BlindPlayer
03-31-2005, 11:41 PM
Good for YOU! You have conquered where others fail. There's benefits - to foster good heath and the pocket book. I've saved over $32,000 since my last puff.

SpiderMan
04-01-2005, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BlindPlayer:</font><hr> Good for YOU! You have conquered where others fail. There's benefits - to foster good heath and the pocket book. I've saved over $32,000 since my last puff. <hr /></blockquote>

How long have you been off the cigs?

Let's hope Wally can make it. And encourage Deeman to go for it again.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
04-01-2005, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> How long have you been off the cigs?

<font color="blue">By my rough estimation he quit 43.8 years ago /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

Let's hope Wally can make it.

<font color="blue">I will. Now that my lungs are clear I am craving them a bit. I was afraid of that. But it's not that hard to fight off. I have a bag of Starburst in my desk. </font color>

And encourage Deeman to go for it again.

<font color="blue">C'mon Dee, ya [censored] /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif (Does this statement officially make me an obnoxious ex-smoker? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )</font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
04-01-2005, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> How long have you been off the cigs?

<font color="blue">By my rough estimation he quit 43.8 years ago /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font color>

<hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>
Looks like you're assuming a pack a day with an average price of $2.00. Weren't cigs about 30 cents a pack in the '60s? And wasn't the carton price still only $10 about 10-15 years ago?

SpiderMan (I've never smoked, why do I remember when cigs were $10 a carton?)

Wally_in_Cincy
04-01-2005, 11:20 AM
they were $16 a carton just 5 years ago.

now they're $30

Rich R.
04-02-2005, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> And wasn't the carton price still only $10 about 10-15 years ago?<hr /></blockquote>
That was the appoximate carton price, when I quit, in the early to mid 70's.

Rich R.
04-02-2005, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> they were $16 a carton just 5 years ago.

now they're $30 <hr /></blockquote>
Wally, put that money away and I see a new, custom, cue in your near future. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
04-02-2005, 07:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> they were $16 a carton just 5 years ago.

$30??!! Try $60 in NJ! $50 for generics!

Barbara~~~has saved $12,500 since quitting...

SpiderMan
04-04-2005, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> they were $16 a carton just 5 years ago.

$30??!! Try $60 in NJ! $50 for generics!

Barbara~~~has saved $12,500 since quitting... <hr /></blockquote>

Wow! I think generics are only $1.75 a pack here. Maybe I should load up my truck and head for New Jersey. I'd feel guilty helping people kill themselves, though.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-04-2005, 08:15 AM
How about y'all coming up with some sort of "stop-smoking" challenge? If you guys die, who'll teach me nine-ball?

SpiderMan

BlindPlayer
04-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Besides the obvious health benefits and longer life expectancy....

I've saved $32,000 since my last puff! (that's adjusting for the price changes over the decades).

SPetty
04-06-2005, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BlindPlayer:</font><hr> Besides the obvious health benefits and longer life expectancy....

I've saved $32,000 since my last puff! (that's adjusting for the price changes over the decades). <hr /></blockquote>Yeah, we got that the first time (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=npr&amp;Number=186296&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=2&amp;vc=1) you posted it to this thread... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PQQLK9
04-06-2005, 05:09 PM
<hr /></blockquote>Yeah, we got that the first time (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=npr&amp;Number=186296&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=2&amp;vc=1) you posted it to this thread... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe he should call himself "BlindWolf" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif