PDA

View Full Version : Chalk.., is there a difference?

Plummerbutt
03-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I only use Masters chalk on my cue and I'm pretty adament that it be blue. A friend of mine who has a new table only uses red Imperial chalk. Heres the trouble, I used to be able to use my stick and blue masters chalk when shooting on his table. However, that recently changed. He has complained that my blue chalk is changing the color of his red table cloth(I think its faded from the overhead light) and that I can no longer use blue chalk when shooting on his table. Since I refuse to use the crap red Imperial on my "blue" tip, I'm left using his $30.00 cues and have been getting my butt kicked when playing him. I'm just as bull-headed about using my chalk as he is about me not using it. Its his table, so if i'm going to play I have to obey! Whats you take? I know that masters is supposed to be the best, thats why I use it. Should I conceed to his whims and play me cue using his crap red imperial chalk? The very thought sends shivers down my spine! H E L P !!!

Lanny
03-23-2005, 12:32 PM
Why not pick up a few pieces of red Master,it should give you an advantage over him using the Imperial.A dozen pieces from Mueller's is only $2.95.

Lanny

Wally_in_Cincy
03-23-2005, 01:25 PM
The problem with the red is it will turn your shaft pink.

Why don't you buy a good cheap house cue for $20, have a good tip put on it, and use it with red Masters when you play him?

That reminds me of a story. My niece had pool table with gold cloth so I bought her a box of gold Silver Cup chalk. That night I was giving her brother a hard time for using his blue chalk instead of the gold. When I finally got up to play I realized that the Silver Cup gold was the worst chalk ever made. I took her a box of Master's tan the next time we visited there.

Deeman2
03-23-2005, 02:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr> I only use Masters chalk <font color="blue"> shows remarkable intellegence </font color> on my cue and I'm pretty adament that it be blue. <font color="blue"> better yet... </font color> A friend of mine who has a new table only uses red Imperial chalk. <font color="blue"> Poor sap! </font color> Heres the trouble, I used to be able to use my stick and blue masters chalk when shooting on his table. However, that recently changed. He has complained that my blue chalk is changing the color of his red table cloth(I think its faded from the overhead light) <font color="blue"> Why wouldn't he want it to fade???? It would look better than red.. </font color> and that I can no longer use blue chalk when shooting on his table. <font color="blue">Maybe you should select friends who don't use red cloth, yuck, red cloth... </font color> Since I refuse to use the crap red Imperial on my "blue" tip, I'm left using his $30.00 cues and have been getting my butt kicked when playing him. I'm just as bull-headed about using my chalk as he is about me not using it. Its his table, so if i'm going to play I have to obey! Whats you take? <font color="blue"> Tell him if you use the blue chalk enough, he will eventually have a nice blue table.. </font color> I know that masters is supposed to be the best, thats why I use it. Should I conceed to his whims and play me cue using his crap red imperial chalk? <font color="blue"> NO, No, No don't whimp out on us here... </font color> The very thought sends shivers down my spine! <font color="blue"> as well it should... </font color> H E L P !!! <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">Some of us old geezers have always used blue Masters to the exclusion of all else and some even prefer old blue masters (I have a few left) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif It probably doesn't make a hill of beans but without opinion, without prejudice, without illicit sex where would we be? I played in a tournament in Hamburg Germany where Silver Cup was the sponsor and was told I had to use the Silver Cup to play. I cupped my Master's Blue in my bridge hand the entire tournament and was never "caught".

Long Live Master's Blue

Give him hell, unless he throws you out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif</font color>

Deeman
can miscue using the best...

theinel
03-23-2005, 04:06 PM
I have tried many chalks over the years and have always preferred Masters Blue but I don't have any hard data to back up it's superiority. There are three main ingredients in chalk, silica, color/pigment, and a binding agent. I've seen mention that chalk used to contain lead, possibly not as an ingredient itself but as an ingredient of one of the other components, but that it has been removed. I would think that the size/quality of the silica and the binding agent would have a greater affect on friction and moisture absorbency than the pigment would but I guess any change in the ingredients could cause differences.

Jack Koelher did some testing with a weighted lever/ball apparatus and discusses it in "Upscale Nine-Ball" (pg. 24-26) but doesn't list the brand names or the colors but there are measurable differences between the brands.

Platinum Billiards claims to have done some testing with a "precision stroking robot" (http://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_chalk.php) and lists the results of a few brand names but no colors (they say Masters is the best).

Tweeten Fibre makes Masters and Triangle which I personally don't like but a local shop operator has been promoting Triangle for a while and a number of my friends now use it exclusively. I'm never been sure why one company would need to make more than one brand of chalk and I cant find any literature from them on the differences but I read somewhere that they are exactly the same formula but that the Triangle brand was originally meant to be marketed in another country.

On the non-green table note I would say that I've played on different colored tables where the owners didn't want the blue used but with careful, non-excessive, chalking you can use the blue without leaving noticeable marks on the table.

BigRigTom
03-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Well this sounds like a couple of guys who should really just "Shut up and play pool!"
If my friend had a red cloth on his table and he wanted me to use red chalk I would just get some red masters like one of the other guys suggested....then kick his ass at pool. Of course that only works if you are better than he is. If you are not then maybe he knows something you don't and you should use his red chalk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SecaucusFats
03-23-2005, 11:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote theinel:</font><hr>
&lt;snip&gt;

Tweeten Fibre makes Masters and Triangle which I personally don't like but a local shop operator has been promoting Triangle for a while and a number of my friends now use it exclusively. I'm never been sure why one company would need to make more than one brand of chalk and I cant find any literature from them on the differences but I read somewhere that they are exactly the same formula but that the Triangle brand was originally meant to be marketed in another country.

<hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I don't think they're the same. IMO, Master goes on more uniformly while Triangle seems softer and more prone to clumping on application.

</font color>

JimS
03-24-2005, 04:50 AM
Use your cue and clean it after the session.

christopheradams
03-24-2005, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> Use your cue and clean it after the session. <hr /></blockquote>
Good idea, and get a magic eraser(see other thread about these little wonders).
Or just use the blue chalk and bring a little battery operated car type vaccum and vacuum up the table after you play for the day. You could also just wipe it down with a brush after. For a Xmas or b-day gift, have your friends pool table recovered with nice blue simonis 860 cloth /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Scott Lee
03-24-2005, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> When I finally got up to play I realized that the Silver Cup gold was the worst chalk ever made. I took her a box of Master's tan the next time we visited there. <hr /></blockquote>

Wally I agree with you. Here's the really funny thing. Master, Triangle and Silver Cup chalk are ALL made by the same company...Tweenten, in Chicago! I can play with any of them, but prefer Master myself. Go figure...

Scott

Cane
03-24-2005, 08:26 AM
I kind of understand your friends delimna. I have a tan Simonis 760 cloth on my table (yeah, it's fast as greased lightening), and most of my friends use either green or blue master. I don't have a problem with them using the colored chalk, but they all know where the set of table brushes are and are all courteous enough to, if they choose to use their blue or green, brush my table down after we play. On top of that, I vacuum it once a week, so I don't have any problem with the chalk leaving terrible stains on the table... yeah, there are a few marks on it, but hell, it's a pool table, it's not a piece of furniture!

As for the chalk itself, I can really tell no difference between the various colors of Master Chalk. I keep a gross of Tan in the cabinet in the bedroom and a gross of green in the trunk of my car. Can switch from one color to anothe without telling any difference in the way the chalk sticks to the cue, but I AM a die hard Master fan... no Silver Cup, no NTC, no Triangle. OH, and I cook my chalk, too! yep, bake it like cookies. Seems to apply more evenly to the tip and just plain lasts longer (like lasting longer is a concern at $15 a gross).

Later,
Bob

Deeman2
03-24-2005, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> OH, and I cook my chalk, too! yep, bake it like cookies. Seems to apply more evenly to the tip and just plain lasts longer (like lasting longer is a concern at $15 a gross).

<font color="blue"> Whew! Cane, I'm glad someone else does this. I was afraid to bring this up feeling I would be branded a nut (like I havn't been before). This reduced the moisture content further and does make it adhere better. I got this, and other bad habits, from an old one pocket player in Memphis when I was a kid. </font color>

Deeman
Masterdebaker

<hr /></blockquote>

Cane
03-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Dee, Yep, I'm a chalk baker from WAY back! LOL I guess all it does is carry the curing process just a bit farther... besides, it make the paper wrap on the chalk look kind of antique! I don't lose track of my chalk on the pool room tables... it's easy to spot. It's the full cube that looks like it's been around forever!

A friend of mine used to laugh at me for cooking it, but he bought a gross of green and a gross of tan from me and laid it all out on a cookie sheets and stuffed it in the oven. It's amazing the difference a little heat will make!

later,
Bob (your fellow nut!)

SPetty
03-24-2005, 09:08 AM
So what's the recipe for baking chalk?

Cane
03-24-2005, 09:23 AM
SPetty,
Dee's method may be different from mine, but I preheat the oven to 350, put the chalk on aluminum foil and bake it for one hour. OH, and the first time you do it, keep in mind this is like baking a rock... it will STILL be hot enough to blister your fingers for about 15 or 20 minutes after you take it out! (speaking from experience, it doesn't take long to look at a hot piece of chalk)

The reason I do it is that it seems to cure the chalk to a point where it won't mud up in high humidity. The chalk goes on the same way and sticks the same way whether you're in a nice dry pool room or in a backroads bar with a swamp cooler where the humidity is just short of being underwater.

BTW, I learned this from an old time player... one whose best games came before my birth. I've brought it up to some pretty good players, and they just smile, and say "How did you find out about that?"

Later,
Bob

christopheradams
03-24-2005, 09:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> SPetty,
Dee's method may be different from mine, but I preheat the oven to 350, put the chalk on aluminum foil and bake it for one hour. OH, and the first time you do it, keep in mind this is like baking a rock... it will STILL be hot enough to blister your fingers for about 15 or 20 minutes after you take it out! (speaking from experience, it doesn't take long to look at a hot piece of chalk)

The reason I do it is that it seems to cure the chalk to a point where it won't mud up in high humidity. The chalk goes on the same way and sticks the same way whether you're in a nice dry pool room or in a backroads bar with a swamp cooler where the humidity is just short of being underwater.

BTW, I learned this from an old time player... one whose best games came before my birth. I've brought it up to some pretty good players, and they just smile, and say "How did you find out about that?"

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

News Flash on 6 o'clock news:
4 Family Home burns up in flames due to man finding pool chalk baking recipe on a popular billiards forum Web site and leaving oven unattended while trying to beat his high run in straight pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

You know how many people are gonna be baking chalk now. I am for one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Put on your aprons pool players, this weekend is chalk baking weekend!

Deeman2
03-24-2005, 09:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote christopheradams:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> SPetty,
Dee's method may be different from mine, but I preheat the oven to 350, <font color="blue"> Same temperature, I leave it for about 45 minutes </font color> put the chalk on aluminum foil and bake it for one hour. OH, and the first time you do it, keep in mind this is like baking a rock... it will STILL be hot enough to blister your fingers for about 15 or 20 minutes after you take it out! (speaking from experience, it doesn't take long to look at a hot piece of chalk)

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

News Flash on 6 o'clock news:
4 Family Home burns up in flames due to man finding pool chalk baking recipe on a popular billiards forum Web site and leaving oven unattended while trying to beat his high run in straight pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. <font color="blue"> He needed to be removed from the gene pool anyway... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif </font color>

You know how many people are gonna be baking chalk now. I am for one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Put on your aprons pool players, this weekend is chalk baking weekend! <hr /></blockquote>

I may start a new post, Ten things everyone should know about chalk but were afraid to ask....

Deeman /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MrLucky
03-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Someone in an earlier reply remarked about chalk having "used" to be made with lead ! I read an article yesterday that states it still is ! a young girl ate some and developed lead poising according to the article Since one bar where I practice whenever I come in I dust the table emitting clouds of chalk powder up and have been breathing this stuff I am concerned!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

NEWS

Thursday November 30 1:32 PM ET
Pool Chalk Can Be Source of Lead Poisoning

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) -

While most of today's parents are aware of the dangers of lead poisoning and its common sources (leaded paint, contaminated soil, and water from lead pipes), doctors in the UK have identified another potential source of lead poisoning: pool chalk--the tiny cubes of chalk used in playing pool.

In the December issue of the Archives of Disease in Childhood, Dr. P. I.
Dargan of Guy's and St. Thomas's Hospital, London, and colleagues report the
case of a 3-year-old girl who experienced lead poisoning from chewing on
"snooker chalk,'' or pool chalk, as it is called in the US.

The girl was originally taken to her family doctor when her parents
suspected she had an upper respiratory tract infection. Her diet was poor,
she would only drink milk, and she had no interest in eating solid foods.
The parents also revealed that the girl had a history of pica, a condition
in which people eat non-food substances such as paint or dirt, for example.
In this case, the child tried to eat soil and concrete. Otherwise, the
child's health seemed normal.

Blood test showed that the girl was anemic and had an abnormally high level
of lead. She was given iron supplements for the anemia, and her parents and
doctors tried to determine the cause of the lead poisoning.
Tests of paint, plaster, dust, soil and water failed to identify the source
of lead. The girl's blood level of lead went up again a few months later,
and she was given chelation therapy, which helps lower blood lead levels.
During her hospital stay, the parents mentioned that they often saw her with
"snooker chalks'' in her mouth.

The mystery was solved. Testing the chalk revealed a lead content of 7200
micrograms per gram. According to Dargan and colleagues, a 4-year-old child
would only have to eat 7.4 milligrams (less than one-thousandth of an ounce)
to exceed the level of lead intake that the World Health Organization web sites
says is tolerable before beginning to develop lead poisoning.

"This case illustrates the need to be vigilant for more unusual causes of
lead poisoning in the home,'' Dargan and colleagues conclude.
Two similar cases of lead poisoning have been seen in the US. And the
researchers caution that a child does not actually have to have the chalk in
their mouth to experience lead poisoning.

"When snooker chalk is used, a fine dust is formed that will contaminate
the snooker table, floor, clothes of the user and surrounding soft
furnishings,'' the authors note. They suggest that parents use lead-free
pool chalk in the home.

SOURCE: Archives of Disease in Childhood 2000;83:519-520.

Deeman2
03-24-2005, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> Someone in an earlier reply remarked about chalk having "used" to be made with lead ! I read an article yesterday that states it still is ! a young girl ate some and developed lead poising according to the article Since one bar where I practice whenever I come in I dust the table emitting clouds of chalk powder up and have been breathing this stuff I am concerned!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Let your heart not be troubled. Living in Atlanta, there are many more things that will get you long before the chalk dust. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

If we have to start worrying about second hand dust, I think I'll take up bowling....

Deeman
Mr. Lucky needs a minor illness to take away his other concerns....

MrLucky
03-24-2005, 10:24 AM
And so what do you have against Atlanta? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hell we even have cows and horses where I live ! you would be right at home ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman2
03-24-2005, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> And so what do you have against Atlanta? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hell we even have cows and horses where I live ! you would be right at home ! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Actually, nothing. I love Atlanta and just moved from the general area a few months ago (Auburn. AL.). I do know that you are 3,423 times more likely to be a victim of a drive by peach hurling than to die of chalk dust.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif </font color> I used to love running up to the Pool Room and shooting. You have some great players there and plenty of one pocket, Nothing is wrong with Hotlanta...was just kidding you, of course...

Deeman
at home with bovines and billiards...more so with the cows.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Wally I agree with you. Here's the really funny thing. Master, Triangle and Silver Cup chalk are ALL made by the same company...Tweenten, in Chicago! <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote platinumbilliards.com :</font><hr> Silver Cup Chalk is, in our opinion, the best chalk on the market today. Although not as popular as Master, it is only a matter of time before people realize they can get a better chalk for less money! It is made in Macon, Georgia by some of the finest people you will ever meet. <hr /></blockquote>

I think SC is made by somebody else.

and I have no idea why platinum biliards says it's the best... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SPetty
03-24-2005, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> Someone in an earlier reply remarked about chalk having "used" to be made with lead! I read an article yesterday that states it still is! <hr /></blockquote>I read recently that the chalk that is made in the US is lead free (and has been for years). It is quite possible that chalk made in the UK still contains chalk. I believe this child was in the UK.

MrLucky
03-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Where did you read that about US chalk ? I saw someone say it in a post but nothing else! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rich R.
03-24-2005, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> If we have to start worrying about second hand dust, I think I'll take up bowling....
<hr /></blockquote>
Now, would that be a "Smoke Free" bowling alley?
Do you really know what is in the oil they use on the lanes?
Also, do you know what they put in the.........

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ralph S.
03-24-2005, 01:54 PM
OH, and I cook my chalk, too! yep, bake it like cookies.

Between Barbara's famous nuts that I have yet to try and Cane's chalk baking, maybe we should just start a CCB cook book. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
03-24-2005, 02:16 PM
From a more conservative standpoint I would say. If we can't bake our chalk, the terrorists have won!

Deeman

Barbara
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>
Between Barbara's famous nuts that I have yet to try and Cane's chalk baking, maybe we should just start a CCB cook book. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ralph,

The nuts recipe starts at 7 figures. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Barbara

SPetty
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>Between Barbara's famous nuts that I have yet to try and Cane's chalk baking, maybe we should just start a CCB cook book. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>If you do that, it goes without saying that Dave Syrja's Real Men Play Pool and Cook (For Real Men Only) tops the list:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/dsyrja/cook_book.pdf

Fred Agnir
03-24-2005, 02:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote platinumbilliards.com :</font><hr> Silver Cup Chalk is, in our opinion, the best chalk on the market today. Although not as popular as Master, it is only a matter of time before people realize they can get a better chalk for less money! It is made in Macon, Georgia by some of the finest people you will ever meet. <hr /></blockquote>

and I have no idea why platinum biliards says it's the best... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>Me neither. A quick look on their testing page suggests that Masters is the best on their test.

http://www.platinumbilliards.com/rating_chalk.php

Shane?

Fred

Deeman2
03-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Fred,

Some of us live by that 1/8th MM! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman
glad you enjoyed your late arrival at the Expo..can't believe you didn't buy anything!!!!

catscradle
03-24-2005, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> SPetty,
Dee's method may be different from mine, but I preheat the oven to 350, put the chalk on aluminum foil and bake it for one hour. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I'm baking 2 experimental pieces of chalk as I type. Tell me though, I'm a lazy cook, a very lazy cook, is chalk microwave safe? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pizza Bob
03-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Relax, Mr. Lucky. You want the straight scoop, you go to those who know. I e-mailed Tweeten and here's the response I got...

Hi Bob:

I am well aware of the UK story... it's about 10 years old. In any case
none of the chalk that we produce contains lead or anything else toxic.

Cheers,
Skip

Let that put the lead-in-chalk rumor to rest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Rod
03-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Color is no big big deal, however I want a chalk that isn't gritty. I use masters but NTC, National, Triangle, are fine with me. The thing about red, it seems to stain the shaft. Course they all do but red is worst. It's his table though so --

Rod

MrLucky
03-24-2005, 07:40 PM
LOL! thanks ! I have sniffed so much of that chalk dust I should of had black (or is it <font color="blue">BLUE </font color> lung disease by now if it were leaded! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

catscradle
03-24-2005, 10:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote catscradle:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> SPetty,
Dee's method may be different from mine, but I preheat the oven to 350, put the chalk on aluminum foil and bake it for one hour. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I'm baking 2 experimental pieces of chalk as I type. Tell me though, I'm a lazy cook, a very lazy cook, is chalk microwave safe? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well I baked it and tried it out, I think after baking, it (Masters) was amazingly similar to Silver Cup chalk.

Rackin_Zack
03-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Is that a good or a bad thing?!

Rich R.
03-25-2005, 04:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>
Between Barbara's famous nuts that I have yet to try and Cane's chalk baking, maybe we should just start a CCB cook book. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>The nuts recipe starts at 7 figures. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif
<hr /></blockquote>
...... and worth every penny. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

christopheradams
03-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Can you bake bad chalk and have it come out like masters chalk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
Maybe you need a magic oven for that but do you think baking some wilson or sportscraft chalk would work. I'm going to experiment with some this weekend. I got a bunch that the guy gave me when I got my pool table. If baking don't work I'm just gonna chuck it. Or maybe I'll try the other suggestion on here and nuke it in the microwave!:)

catscradle
03-25-2005, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rackin_Zack:</font><hr> Is that a good or a bad thing?! <hr /></blockquote>
I didn't notice anything special about the chalk except it was dryer (drier??). It possibly coated a little better, but it also seemed messier. I'll use the 2 pieces I baked for awhile before I decide if it is better or worse.

BigRigTom
03-25-2005, 11:26 AM
The question about lead content was of concern to me as I have a belove Golden Retreiver named Max and he is constantly showing up with a piece of chalk in his mouth.
I emailed the company in Chicago that makes Master Chalk and here is a copy of that exchange with skip@tweeten.us

{By the way it is in reverse order with Skip's reply at top, my question at the bottom}

&gt;Hi Tom:
None of the chalk products we make contains lead or anything else toxic.

Cheers,
Skip
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Hi Skip,
&gt;&gt; I found your web site under construction and wonder if you can refer me
&gt;&gt; to a site that will have the straight poop on this question.
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Does Master Pool Chalk contain lead?
&gt;&gt;
&gt;&gt; Thanks
&gt;&gt; Tom
&gt;&gt; www.bigrigtoys.com (http://www.bigrigtoys.com)
&gt;&gt; --
Thomas R. Hardinger - Simi Valley,
&gt;&gt; California 93065

DickLeonard
03-29-2005, 06:40 AM
Wally and What is Wrong With Pink? You Republicans and your Homophobia. Sorry Wally I just couldn't help myself.####

I always preferred Brunswick Beige Chalk it left no marks on the cloth. The first new room I managed had grey cloth and beige chalk and the tables remained almost free of chalk marks.

DickLeonard
03-29-2005, 06:50 AM
Barbara and that is a Bargain for that recipe.####