PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion ?

dave
03-24-2005, 11:07 AM
In your opinion, when completing the follow through of your stroke, should that follow through be a mirrow image of the length of your backswing (which may vary) OR should that follow through extend completely (even if it's longer than the backswing) and finish on the cloth (whenever possible), or does it depend upon the specific shot and why?

dave
03-24-2005, 11:33 AM
"mirror image" (sorry)

BigRigTom
03-24-2005, 11:56 AM
IMO...NO!
The follow thru is NOTHING like the backswing.
My follow thru will take the tip of the cue completely thru the cue ball and depending on how hard I want to hit the shot it may go a lot further and even stop on or near the cloth.
Just my opinion ...you understand.

Popcorn
03-24-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't pull the cue back far at all. I think it can be a source for errors in the stroke. To answer your question, I would say my follow through may be two times or more the length of my back swing. I may pull the cue back no more then a few inches on most shots.

pooltchr
03-24-2005, 09:51 PM
If I have set myself up properly, then I don't worry about how much follow through I have, as long as my stroke finishes in the same place every time!
(Instructors really like consistency! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif)
Steve

tateuts
03-24-2005, 10:04 PM
On most normal shots, I take a fairly long bridge, about 10" - 11", a relatively medium back stroke, about 5" - 6", and I follow through the cue ball (from where it's touching the cloth) 3" - 4". I think this gives me a good combination of speed control and accuracy without sacrificing power. I play a lot of nine ball, so it helps to have the extra stroke.

As your game changes and hopefully improves, your mechanics change on their own. Unless you are having severe problems pocketing balls of controlling the cue ball, or your stuck at a level without improving, I would say just let your mechanics evolve naturally as long as you continue to improve and are comfortable over the shots.

In other words, the goal is to pocket balls accurately, control the cueball, and learn strategies, regardless of your preferred techinique. There are a lot of ways to do this. As you improve, you will make the necessary changes to continue it.

The one contrived change I made which helped me control the cue a little better was to take a firmer grip on the cue. This gave me more control and consistency, particularly on power shots, and I'm really glad I made the change. this really helped solidify my stroke.

Chris

Billy_Bob
03-25-2005, 10:27 AM
I think it is good to have the same follow through for most shots (mirror).

But for breaking hard, I think a very long follow through will get more speed.

For draw, no follow through will get little or no draw. So you can vary the distance of follow through as a control of how far back you want to draw the ball.

For follow, you can also vary the amount of follow through to get more or less follow.

Then cue ball close to object ball. You don't want to follow through more than the distance between balls or you will get a double hit. In the case of a nip shot, maybe just 1/4 inch of follow through.