PDA

View Full Version : English - Different balls making all the differenc

tzzoooma
03-24-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm getting back into pool after many years away. Got a new table, and they came with some probably very cheap, but standard resin balls. The thing is, I could hardly get any english working, even extreme with lots of miscues did very little to alter the path or add spin.

Then I brought out some old balls I had. WOW, what a night and day difference in the control I got and remember from when I used to play a lot. The old balls I tried weren't
resin, but ivoryite.

Questions: Did the cheap cue ball cause the lack of english?
Do ivoryite balls naturally allow more english? Would a
quality set of resin balls be much different from the cheap
set in the control they offered (or quality cue ball)?

BigRigTom
03-24-2005, 01:25 PM
My 1st thought is: What happens when you apply english to the cue ball and it strikes the rail? Right should give you right rebound, Left should give you left rebound.
English is most noticable when the cue comes off the rail and that is where I would try to guage if there is substantiol difference. English does not normally have a great effect on the object ball.
At least that is my experience.
Of course I am not an "instructor". They may beg to differ. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

randyg
03-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Not this one!.....SPF-randyg

ras314
03-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Could be tzzoooma considers any spin (not just side spin) on the cb is english?

Bob_Jewett
03-24-2005, 03:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tzzoooma:</font><hr>... Questions: Did the cheap cue ball cause the lack of english?
Do ivoryite balls naturally allow more english? Would a
quality set of resin balls be much different from the cheap
set in the control they offered (or quality cue ball)? <hr /></blockquote>
Balls usually react differently to spin because of the surface of the ball and the condition of the cloth. Try waxing the cheap, "dead," balls with a hard paste wax and see if they appear to play like the other. Silicone spray, like ArmorAll also works. This is a temporary fix, as the wax wears off in about an hour.

Size, weight and elasticity of the balls will have some other effects, but they are usually minor.

BigRigTom
03-24-2005, 03:54 PM
The definition of "English" is right of left spin applied to the cue ball.
That is about as simple as it gets...not much room for misunderstanding.

SPetty
03-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Good point, ras. I wouldn't have thought of that.

ras314
03-24-2005, 04:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> The definition of "English" is right of left spin applied to the cue ball.
That is about as simple as it gets...not much room for misunderstanding. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, I grew up in the south and any spin was called english. Sorta meant making the cb walk and talk. Cain't hep it if everybody else is wrong. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BigRigTom
03-24-2005, 05:35 PM
I hear you too.
I was born in Ft. Payne, Al.
Learned to play pool in Chicago, Il
Then learned more in Ft. Bragg, NC while in the US Army.
Then went back to Chicago and learned more there.
Moved to California at the age of 45 and still was learning.
Joined an APA 9 ball league in 2000 and then I started to learn that much of what I had learned had to be thrown out with the garbage because it was so tainted with misinformation.....like for instance: English is any spin you put on the ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
At the risk of repeating my self....English is really right or left spin, bottom spin is draw, top spin is follow. Every thing else is a combination of these things.
Of course there is one thing more....dead center hit on the cue ball which will start out as slide then become forward roll (follow) until the cue ball strikes another object where it can pickup a spin other than follow depending speed and point of contact.
Then again .... I am not an instructor..... so keep in mind that some of them may beg to differ.... I only know that my skill level has risen dramatically since I learned the few things just mentioned. Most of the understanding of those things, I have come to in just the past year.

Still speaking my Southern English just as easy as I please in Simi Valley, Ca....instead of Fort Payne, Al.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif