PDA

View Full Version : Do you care what your cue looks like?

One
03-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Do you care about the looks of your cue or do you want it as straight as possible? How about if it smells bad?

Rod
03-24-2005, 04:57 PM
None of the abvove. I'll assume your talking house cues? Really, all I care about is the tip. Straight is nice but it doesn't have to be. My own cue is dead straight, haven't smelled it yet though.

Rod

GeraldG
03-24-2005, 08:44 PM
What if you want a beautiful, straight cue that doesn't stink? I don't see that selection in your survey.

Rackin_Zack
03-24-2005, 10:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GeraldG:</font><hr> What if you want a beautiful, straight cue that doesn't stink? I don't see that selection in your survey. <hr /></blockquote>

My sentiments exactly! I want a cue that is beautiful, straight, hits great and doesn't stink! I am confident that all three of the cues I have on order will fill the bill on that one!

Cueless Joey
03-24-2005, 11:38 PM
http://joeyincali.mypicgallery.com/woods/dscn0489_large.jpg
I like a good wood. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Billy_Bob
03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm mostly interested in the playing characteristics of my cue. Tip, tip radius, shaft diameter, taper, deflection, joint, and weight. Then so far as looks go, I prefer certain colors and don't like others. So a cue which is a color I like. Beyond that, I prefer a cue which is more plain - not flashy. Less likely to get stolen and does not attract attention.

Scott Lee
03-25-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm with Rod here. Who cares what it looks like, when all that matters is the tip? On the other hand, I play with $3000 custom Samsara...which happens to be gorgeous! LOL

Scott Lee

bluey2king
03-25-2005, 10:17 AM
WOW!!
I was going to say "I want it All"
and I thought I had it with my $250 Lucasi....I guess not!!
**LOL**

BigRigTom
03-25-2005, 10:36 AM
I like my Viking VX10.
Quitely elegant...and I didn'teven pick it out!
My wife bought it for me a couple of years ago, I was an APA 5 in nine ball, that 1st night I played with it, I had to play an APA 9. I beat him 38 to 36, I have loved that Viking ever since but now I am considering a Meucci Black Bulls Eye shaft to fit it...Aren't we pool players fickle! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Duckie
03-25-2005, 10:49 AM
If a stick doesn't feel well, or play well, looking good isn't gonna help it.

I consider both aspects of a cue, but I'm sorta old school on what I think is a good looking cue. I like the simple four point veneer inlay type with a plain butt, irish linen wrap. So thats what I look for first, then check out the rep of the cue maker.

Hittman
03-25-2005, 06:44 PM
Great curly bubinga!...got some of that myself...ebony points with dogwood re-cut veneer. How old are those cues?

Cueless Joey
03-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I started making them last year.

theinel
03-25-2005, 07:50 PM
In general I care what it looks like but when playing I only care about how it feels although the sound can be an issue too if it makes a strange sound.

nhp
03-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I think the question to ask is, if you found a cue that was the best hitting cue in the world (in your opinion), but it was neon-pink with purple polka-dots and it was signed by Richard Simmons, would you use it?

lord_shar
03-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Well, I care about a couple of things:

1) straightness
2) feedback/feel of the hit
3) sound
4) yes, aesthetics

Price isn't a big deal unless it exceeds $2k =/

Cueless Joey
03-26-2005, 12:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> I think the question to ask is, if you found a cue that was the best hitting cue in the world (in your opinion), but it was neon-pink with purple polka-dots and it was signed by Richard Simmons, would you use it? <hr /></blockquote>
Absolutely!!!
Perfect hustler cue.
You wouldn't get respect from an APA -3 with that stick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SecaucusFats
03-26-2005, 12:28 AM
The only thing I care about is how comfortable and confident I am shooting with a cue. If the cue does not work for me, I don't care how pretty or ugly it is or who made it or how expensive it is.

Keith Talent
03-28-2005, 06:49 AM
I never could abide a smelly cue, no siree.

GeraldG
03-28-2005, 08:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> Do you care about the looks of your cue or do you want it as straight as possible? How about if it smells bad?

<hr /></blockquote>

You know, out of all the cues I've owned, seen, handled, played with in my life, I don't recall odor ever being an issue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

SpiderMan
03-28-2005, 08:26 AM
I smelled my cue, and it smells like second-hand smoke. Maybe we should invent "cue cologne"?

SpiderMan

catscradle
03-28-2005, 11:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I smelled my cue, and it smells like second-hand smoke. Maybe we should invent "cue cologne"?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>
They already have it is called "Lemon Pledge".

MrLucky
03-28-2005, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> I never could abide a smelly cue, no siree. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="red">Do your hands sweat a lot? </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

John_Madden
03-28-2005, 07:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MrLucky:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> I never could abide a smelly cue, no siree. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="red">Do your hands sweat a lot? </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

A wrapless cue doesn't take on the smells of smoke or sweat if it a really issue for either of you. And a wrapless can be a beautiful cue - maybe birdseye matched with cocobolo forearm and butt - beautiful plain jane.
Jack Madden
www.johnmaddencues.com (http://www.johnmaddencues.com)

Plummerbutt
03-28-2005, 09:44 PM
I care what my stick looks like. I believe if you pull out a fine looking stick it can have a psycological effect on your opponent. I remember awhile back I almost purchased a pure white graphite stick. I remember thinking, "If you show up at a pool hall with an all white stick.., you better know hoe to play". Glad a didn't buy that stick. I recently ordered a custom, nothing fancy, just plain pretty! At least in my eye, and thats the only eye I have to please.

lord_shar
03-28-2005, 11:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I smelled my cue, and it smells like second-hand smoke. Maybe we should invent "cue cologne"?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

When in doubt, there's always Febreeze (and Scotchguard after it dries, assuming it's not leather wrapped).