PDA

View Full Version : a little help from the ladies...

mbtech81
03-24-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm trying to teach my wife to play pool, and we're having a hard time with her stroke.(I am absolutely serious, so please refrain from the jokes) The problem is, when she gets down on her shot, her arm hits her chest. She is stuck in a less than ideal upright position, or her forearm is not at a 90 degree angle to the ground. This has become quite a frustration for both of us because I don't know what to tell her, she physically can't shoot in what I was taught is the correct form. Any help from the ladies who might have had this issue would be great /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DebraLiStarr
03-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Sadly, I've never had this problem. Get with Karen Corr. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9 Ball Girl
03-24-2005, 07:45 PM
My cue rubs against my boobs (yes, I'm dead serious) and it helps in the alignment of certain shots.

I'm not sure if teaching your wife the stance that was taught to you the best way to go since we all have different stances that work for us. Why don't you set up some easy shots for her and see how she does and then maybe tweak what needs to be tweaked from there. For me, there are some shots where I get down really low and then there are the shots that I'm not as low. It is true that the stance is the hardest thing to teach a person if they're already used to standing a certain way, but I don't think your wife fits that category

Try having her shoot some balls like I said. She doesn't even have to make them, just have her shoot some balls, give her some suggestions on her stance, let her tell you what feels comfortable for her and then work from there. Good luck!

cueball1950
03-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Gee Wendy,,,since i put all this weight on i have the same problem. My cue rubs right between my BOOBS, and yes i am serious..or half kidding.........................mike

Leviathan
03-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Encourage your wife to arrange a session with a good teaching pro. A good pro will diagnose the problem correctly and help your wife fix her stroke without a lot of floundering around and frustration. BCA-certified teaching pros are listed at
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/instruction/BCA_Instructors_Active.htmp . (Fran Crimi, who is located in New York, is very good at identifying and correcting stroke problems.)

If your wife doesn't want to set something up with a pro, she might consider the possibility that she's just gripping her cue too far forward. If one's grip hand is too far forward--too close to the bridge hand at the hit--one's chest blocks the forward travel of the forearm and cue.

Good luck--and get your wife to arrange a session with a pro!

AS

pooltchr
03-25-2005, 06:23 AM
This is good advise, not only for your wife, but for your relationship! I have often said I will work with any student except my wife! It's very difficult to teach someone you are that close to!
Steve

Deeman2
03-25-2005, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> This is good advise, not only for your wife, but for your relationship! I have often said I will work with any student except my wife! It's very difficult to teach someone you are that close to!
Steve <hr /></blockquote> <font color="red"> AMEN! </font color>

SPetty
03-25-2005, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mbtech81:</font><hr>The problem is, when she gets down on her shot, her arm hits her chest. <hr /></blockquote>It's difficult to tell what the problem is from your description. If she is down in position and stroking well and is in the right form, her hand will "hit" the side of her chest as her stroke completes. Is that what you're describing?

Sid_Vicious
03-25-2005, 09:43 AM
"she physically can't shoot in what I was taught is the correct form"

What were you taught as the correct form? I'll shoot from the hip here and say to have her square her feet, snooker style, copy the the snooker stance you see the english imports do, including the distance they choose to drop down to. My guess is that she if more of a tripod stance and too close to the table. Do this,,,,have her stand back behind the shot, hold the cue over the line of the shot like the cue is a sword. Then square the left foot more and SLOWLY drop down in line keeping the cue in line, and DO NOT shuffle the feet during this step. Maybe this will help...sid

Btw, the upright position is what? There's nothing wrong with flexed knees(both) and a low, center of gravity height. Watch the snooker players and emulate them. sv

Wally_in_Cincy
03-25-2005, 10:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ...If she is down in position and stroking well and is in the right form, her hand will "hit" the side of her chest as her stroke completes. <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like she may have her forearm tucked in (a la Monica Webb, opposite of Keith McCready).